Old February 17th 04, 05:00 AM
Slim97477

Default Apartment SW reception with a boatanchor

I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if anyone had
tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor apartment. I do
NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...

Kris
KC7VWQ
Old February 17th 04, 06:47 AM
GrtPmpkin32

I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if anyone had
tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor apartment. I
do
NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...

Well, be aware that noise from yours and your neighbors' electrical
appliances/dimmer switches, etc., will be a factor, but you could try to run as
much wire (of any type, but insulated with a plastic which matches your
paint/wallpaper might be a nice touch) around the ceiling or floor of your
entire apartment.
Some kind of loop antenna(s) or preamplified active antenna may be an option as
well. If you absolutely cannot get any wire outside, then you have to be
creative. But if you at least have a single window, downspout, or other access
to the ground outside, you could run wire around as much of your apartment's
perimeter as possible, as hidden and 'dug-in' as possible, without getting
discovered or in the way of groundskeeping or your landlord. There are a LOT of
sites dealing with hidden, compromise or 'stealth' antennas, try a general
search for hidden or stealth antennas and see what youc an find.
Good luck-
Linus
Old February 17th 04, 01:41 PM
Joe Strain

Get out yer soldering iron and scrounge up an old 75 ohm to 300 ohm cable tv
adapter. Solder a slinky to each of the 300 ohm leads and stretch it out
accross the ceiling as far as possible

attach your coax to the 75 ohm threaded tv adapter output and run it to your
receiver

Even hooking ONE stretched out slinky to the receiver will work

Yes, S-6 Noise levels sometimes, but I can get eastern Med and Australia on
an apartment slinky on my DX 398 and RX 320

Your boat anchor not being as HOT as today's FET-front-end receivers might
be beneficial in suppressing a lot of unneeded RFI

I miss my Hally S-40B

Yodar

Old February 17th 04, 02:43 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Noise will definitely be a problem.

Make one of these:

http://www.greertech.com/hfloop/mymagloop.html

You won't have problems with noise, and it's cheaper
than almost anything else. It's a shielded coax loop,
and since I built one, noise is a non - factor, and weak
signals come through wonderfully well.

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

"Slim97477" wrote in message
| I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if anyone
had
| tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor apartment.
I do
| NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...
|
| Kris
| KC7VWQ

---

Old February 17th 04, 04:13 PM
Frank Dresser

"Slim97477" wrote in message
I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if

anyone had
tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor

apartment. I do
NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...

Kris
KC7VWQ

Try to keep your antenna as far as possible from your neighbor's
electrical noisemakers such as TV sets and computers. A small portable
radio may help sniff out the noisest spots.

The power outlets may have alot of electrical noise. Some outlets may
be quieter than others. Don't expect your radio to have the same
immunity as a more modern solid state radio with a regulated power
supply. I've added additional powerline filtering and it helps.

I live in a steel framed apartment building, and I get alot of weird
signal nulls. The noise can't be nulled out completely. Overall, the
electrical noise is usually tolerable. It's noisiest between about 4pm
and 10 pm.

I have several boatanchors, and I just string a wire along the
baseboard. It works OK.

Frank Dresser

Old February 17th 04, 05:01 PM
William Mutch

In article , slim97477
@aol.com says...
I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if anyone had
tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor apartment. I do
NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...

Kris
KC7VWQ

I once had extremely good results from running a wire from the
antenna terminal of the RCVR to to a screw on a nearby metal casement
window.
Old February 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Mark S. Holden

Slim97477 wrote:
I recently acquired a Hammarlund HQ-129-X, and I was wondering if anyone had
tips on effective antennas for someone living in a first floor apartment. I do
NOT have the capability for ANY outside antennas...

Kris
KC7VWQ

A good friend of mine has a loop around the perimeter of his living room
up by the ceiling, with an impedance matching transformer, and coax to
his multi coupler, and then to several HF radios.

It performs surprisingly well.

The antenna wire is white wire wrap wire - thin, and blends in with the
walls so it's hard to see. He holds it up with white thumb tacks.
You'd never notice it unless you were looking for it.

Of course the racks in the living room are not so well hidden.

Old February 17th 04, 11:57 PM
Diverd4777

Stealth Antenna for Outside Apartments, ( Please read )

MATERIALS

Some Stranded, Insulated copper wire from Radio shack
Colors so it matches the bricks / outside of your building

One Mop
One piece of twine or string.
One Small soft edged weight.

Some stick-on Cord holders
One tube clear Silicone sealer glue
One black magic marker
One Rusty red magic marker
A roll of Duct tape color of outside of apt.
PROCEDU

See how far it is in between two windows of your Apt..

Measure out a piece of string this distance + ~ 6 - 8 feet.
Attach a small soft edged weight to it.

( Look Outside to see no one is looking !! )

Secure curious household pets

Open Both Windows.
Insert mop part way out one]
Close that window to secure mop handle

Run over to the other window QUICK!
Take the twine with the weight on it & (without risking life & limb)
Toss the string over the mop sticking out the other window.
Secure the end of that end of the string with a bit of slack
Close that window
Run over to the other window with the mop that has the twine handing down off
it

Pull the mop in
Close the window.

( Breath deeply )

NOW....

Attach the stranded wire to the end of the string.
Slightly open window
Run over to the oher window.
Open it & pull in string until wire / string connection is through..

Pull in enough so that wire will reach SWR
Attach wire to SWR.
Close window.

- That's basically it. Modify as needed.

You can take Square stick -on cord holders
Camouflage them with magic Marker color , &
Silicone glue them to the outside corners of the window,
Then loop more wire

( DONT FALL OUT WHEN DOING THIS !!)

around the cord holders. This makes the antenna longer.
repeat for other windows..This should help lots..

( Works for me !!)

Old February 18th 04, 02:48 AM
Howard

Steve,
Are you using it with a tuner as recommended or did you bring it
straight to the receiver? My first try with one, sans tuner and on a
highly kluged support, was so quiet I couldn't even receive as well as
with the equivalent length of hookup wire. Perhaps I should spend a
bit more time with it, review the [simple] connections to make sure I
didn't err in construction, and listen at various times versus the 20
- 30 minutes daytime use initially given.

Thanks for any feedback,
Howard