Old February 17th 04, 10:13 PM
oan

Default Sony xr ca 640

I have a question...
I seriously think of buying a car receiver to listen to shortwave
bands in my car. I have been looking for a car receiver which has
shortwave bands for years here in Turkey and in my journeys to other
european countries. Never met one in local stores or duty free shops.
I read articles written here in rec radio shortwaves about sw
listeners from US who bought sony sw car receivers. Those listeners
says that they bought these receivers from a store called "jacky's"
(that's jackys.com) located in Dubai. I tried to do the same for xr ca
640. But, when I sent the order, they wanted the copy of my driver
license, a paper with my signature on it and a photocopy of my credit
card. I think this is odd! I have bought many items via e trade on
internet and never been asked for such things. Is there anyody who
bought anything from jacky's? If so, do you think this is a safe way?
Otherwise, i will wait for a friend who will pass by Dubai in his/her
way to far east from Istanbul.
My other question is about sony xr ca 640. Is there anybody who uses
it? I want to use it to listen to major broadcasts like BBC or VOA or
Voice of Russia in my car, but i'd like to have some "light" dx ing
too. Is xr ca 640 a good choice? Do you suggest any other receiver for
these purposes?
thanks alot.
Old February 17th 04, 10:18 PM
N8KDV

oan wrote:

[...]

I've never personally done any business with Jacky's, but from everything
I've ever read about the firm, I'd have to say that they are quite
reputable.

Steve
Holland, MI (USA)
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 18th 04, 03:00 PM
W G (Geoff) White

[...] anyody who bought anything from jacky's?

I got a Sony in-dash shortwave from them a few
years ago. They did not ask for photocopy of
driver's license or credit card, nor to sign anything.
My recollection is that all I gave them was a
credit card number and expiration date. It arrived
stateside in 4 days, shipped by DHL.

I like the radio and listen to shortwave on it
practically every time I'm in that car. It works well
off the stock external radio antenna that came with
the car. Someone said that the in-the-glass type
antennas do not work as well for shortwave, so if
your car has one of those you might need to mount
another antenna. Also, some cars produce RFI
which degrades SW reception-- would probably
need to be fixed if it was a problem. I sometimes
notice RFI when sitting in traffic close to other
vehicles. You might take a portable and hook it
up to the cars antenna to get an idea how things
might work out for you.

Geoff
---

Old February 20th 04, 11:53 PM
oan

Thank you very much for your helpful replies.
I sent an e-mail to jacky's to point the oddity of their requests, ie,
photocopy of driving license etc. They still insist on that request.
But they say that the banks they work with requests them because of
the high ratio of credit card thievings in their region. Still not a
satisfactory explanation... I will try other ways. A friend will
travel to Singapore in the first week of March. I asked for his help
and he told me that he can buy and bring that radio from Singapore.

About my car.. I have a Volkswagen Polo automatic. It's original radio
reciever is on it and it's a Blaupunkt Boston. I have a serious noise
problem, which is mostly generated by ignition system, in MW and LW. I
asked for help of the volkswagen's and Blaupunkt's licensed repair
services of Turkey, they both said that there was nothing to prevent
that noice, noone was interested in listening to LW or MW broadcasts
(receiver has no problem in FM band). They even found it funny that
somone had that problem. So, volkswagen produces a car whose original
radio doesn't work properly. I will send an e-mail explaining the
situation to Volkswagen Germany. And inform you about the progress
..