Old February 17th 04, 11:07 PM
RadioGuy

Default Border Skirmishes On The AM Band

"Border Skirmishes On The AM Band" waiting for the story to come up on NPR.

Conservative talkshows... being interfered with by Mexican broadcasters?

RG

Old February 18th 04, 12:44 AM
Eric Ferguson

I, for one, know it's true. I listen to KSFO, 560Khz, 5Kw d/n, which is only
23 miles from me. A *new* mexican station just opened on 560 and blocks the
local station. By what I understand, this station is operating illegally due
to treaty and/or border agreements which are NOT being honored by mexico.
Just my two centavos......

Old February 18th 04, 11:30 PM
Brenda Ann

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
RG,

Reminds me of the good old days of Wolfman Jack.

XERB-AM 1090 kHz used to 'claim' that their Transmitter gave them
50,000 Wattts over Los Angles, CA from Rosarito Beach BCN Mexico.
{Rumor was they had an ERP of 150KW at the Transmittter.)

In 1937, XERB at Rosarito Beach, with a 50,000 watt signal on
1090 that sailed nicely up the Pacific coast to take in the
entire LA basin, day and night - the perfect home a few decades
later for Wolfman Jack's howling late-night broadcasts, taped
in a studio in Hollywood and ferried across the border to the
1090 transmitter site on the Mexican coast, where the "Mighty X"
delivered them to a waiting audience all over southern California.
http://www.fybush.com/site-030403.html

* Local AM/FM/TV: San Diego County Full Descriptions
http://www.sandiegoradionews.com/03stsndl.htm

Thank you for the links.. some interesting stuff (especially as a broadcast
engineer AND an old Wolfman fan (are there any other type anymore?))

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
PROHIBIT THE USE OF CITIZENS BAND RADIO KAXN-9546 CB 44 September 28th 04 10:31 AM
More Truckers Busted Using Modified CB's on Ham 10m Band Leland C. Scott CB 122 June 4th 04 12:51 PM
WOULD THE TERM "WORLD BAND" BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR SHORTWAVE? Andre Shortwave 5 November 30th 03 11:11 AM