Old February 23rd 04, 11:16 PM
T. Early

Default Boycott Exxon & Mobil

"George Orwell" wrote in message
Mobil/Exxon posted the largest profit in history, last quarter! You

can't
boycott all gasoline...but you CAN boycott the largest company!

Don't buy
gas, don't buy snacks, don't buy coffe from these folks. Let 'em

know
you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

You tell 'em! There's nothing more despicable than a for-profit
corporation that makes money. Reprehensible! I've bought my last
Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

Old February 24th 04, 01:48 AM
John M.

can't
boycott all gasoline...but you CAN boycott the largest company!

Don't buy
gas, don't buy snacks, don't buy coffe from these folks. Let 'em

know
you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

You tell 'em! There's nothing more despicable than a for-profit
corporation that makes money. Reprehensible! I've bought my last
Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking about gouging
the public.
It is, in fact, reprehensible.
John

Old February 24th 04, 02:39 AM
Peter Maus

John M. wrote:
can't

boycott all gasoline...but you CAN boycott the largest company!

Don't buy

gas, don't buy snacks, don't buy coffe from these folks. Let 'em

know

you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

You tell 'em! There's nothing more despicable than a for-profit
corporation that makes money. Reprehensible! I've bought my last
Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking about gouging
the public.
It is, in fact, reprehensible.
John

Gouging.

Interesting.

Gouging usually implies higher than market prices. Around here,
Lake County, Illinois, Mobil has lower prices than Amoco.
Competitive, here, even with cut rate outfits like Clark.

Not to suggest that prices haven't risen, lately.

But gouging....not quite.

Old February 24th 04, 04:06 AM
Mark S. Holden

John M. wrote:
can't

boycott all gasoline...but you CAN boycott the largest company!

Don't buy

gas, don't buy snacks, don't buy coffe from these folks. Let 'em

know

you're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

You tell 'em! There's nothing more despicable than a for-profit
corporation that makes money. Reprehensible! I've bought my last
Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking about gouging
the public.
It is, in fact, reprehensible.
John

Not at all.

They have more stations than other brands, and they sell more gas.

If they're selling more product, you'd expect them to make more profit.

Around here, Mobil gas is priced about the same as other brands
- in some cases they're less.

If they're somehow able to make more profit per gallon while maintaining
competitive prices they should be congratulated for their efficiency.

Old February 24th 04, 11:21 PM
John M.

Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking about

gouging
the public.

Oh, where did "gouging the public" show up in his posting? Try again,
loser.

Why the need to insult me?
He wrote "Mobil/Exxon posted the largest profit in history, last quarter!".
Where do you think that money came from? Do you think it came from vast
corporate improvements in efficiency or other internal methods? Again, I
assert it came from gouging the public.
You may apologize for calling me a loser.
Regards,
John

Old February 24th 04, 11:51 PM
Lungshot1

Again, I
assert it came from gouging the public.

I know a chemical engineer who works for them and I asked about costs of
gasoline manufacture. When gas was selling at about $1.25 / gallon, he
explained that the cost of manufacturing the gasoline (oil, refinery costs)
worked out to about $1.00 / gal.

When you figure that the government, both federal, state and local may add
taxes on the sale of a gallon of gas, then I figure the government should be
blamed with the gouging as they did little to produce and distribute the
product.

Ed
Old February 25th 04, 12:01 AM
T. Early

"John M." wrote in message
news:e4fb8$403bdc99$409cea5d$28032@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking

about
gouging
the public.

Oh, where did "gouging the public" show up in his posting? Try

again,
loser.

Why the need to insult me?
He wrote "Mobil/Exxon posted the largest profit in history, last

quarter!".
Where do you think that money came from? Do you think it came from

vast
corporate improvements in efficiency or other internal methods?

Again, I
assert it came from gouging the public.
You may apologize for calling me a loser.
Regards,
John

Well, it's probably no comfort but I don't think you're a loser
However, I would question what appears to be your main point--that
posting an unprecedented profit equates to "gouging the public,"
whatever that means. See, there's these niggling little aspects of
capitalism involving supply, demand, competition, and the right to
charge what the market will bear (provided no laws are violated).
Since Exxon does not appear to have broken the law, I'd have to repeat
that, if you have a problem with a company making a lot of money, you
essentially have a problem with capitalism (which may be the case).
That's fine.

If you'd like to identify the point at which running a for-profit
company in the manner that shareholders expect turns into "gouging the
public," be my guest. It might also be good to consider whether it's
OK to "gouge" in one particular quarter or year to make up for other
quarters or years that were totally unprofitable, and to consider to
what extent the "gouging" has pass-thru effects that benefit the
entire economy in terms of higher salaries and job creation.

Old February 25th 04, 02:54 AM
nobody

In article m,
"John M." wrote:

Slim Jim and Mountain Dew at the Tiger Mart.

He's not talking about simply making a profit. He's talking about

gouging
the public.

Oh, where did "gouging the public" show up in his posting? Try again,
loser.

Why the need to insult me?

Because you deserve it.

He wrote "Mobil/Exxon posted the largest profit in history, last quarter!".
Where do you think that money came from? Do you think it came from vast
corporate improvements in efficiency or other internal methods? Again, I
assert it came from gouging the public.

As others have pointed out, you're incredibly wrong.

You may apologize for calling me a loser.

Consider it done, I'm sorry you're a loser. And you're stupid to boot.