Old March 3rd 04, 03:09 PM
Tony Meloche

Dxluver wrote:

SPECIFICATIONS:
• Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
• Maximum Input Power: 100 mW
• Impedance: 60 ohm
• Nominal Sensitivity: 98dB
• Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.2% at 95 dB SPL, 400Hz and 1 KHz

Are those good specs though RHF for dxing? Anyone in the knows here? I don't
want to get a pair of phones that aren't good for long sessions of dxing.

produce dynamic sound
and are perfect for listening from your computer, MP3 or CD player

I use none of these, nor do I forsee it happening in the future.

The specs are good for any kind of listening. For SWDX, or indeed,
any kind of long-term listening, the comfort of the headphones is as
important as the specs. Those headphones wil be plenty "loud" enough
with any receiver, and
the frequency response specs far,far exceed anything you'll need for SW
or MWDX.
Now if you listen to FM radio at all, the specs become much more
important, but those are still fine. The THD figures are also good.
Note you can buy comfortable headphones this good or better at a lower
cost - the titanium thing is, as someone else pointed out, a "buzz" word
selling device as much as anything.

For the record, I like cushy, foam cup phones for serious music
listening, but for radio DX of any kind (and I use phones 95% of the
time) I prefer the very light "on-ear" type. Mine are a $25 Radio Shack
pair, and they work great.

Tony

Old March 3rd 04, 04:20 PM
CW

Yes.
"Dxluver" wrote in message
First thing. Did you check on the availability of the foam for your

present
pair?

Meaning? Ask them "hey, do you happen to have an extra set of foam cups

for
my phones I wore out." {?}

Old March 3rd 04, 05:56 PM
David

I think for SWL a speaker or headphone that rolls-off the highs at
frequencies above voice range is preferable to a full-range
transducer.

Old March 3rd 04, 11:01 PM
starman

David wrote:

I think for SWL a speaker or headphone that rolls-off the highs at
frequencies above voice range is preferable to a full-range
transducer.

I agree. It's not really desirable to have full fidelity headphones for
shortwave listening. They enhance the high frequency heterodynes like
5-Khz, which can be annoying if you don't have a notch filter on your
receiver to remove those het's.

Old March 4th 04, 04:36 AM
Telamon

In article , starman
wrote:

David wrote:

I think for SWL a speaker or headphone that rolls-off the highs at
frequencies above voice range is preferable to a full-range
transducer.

I agree. It's not really desirable to have full fidelity headphones for
shortwave listening. They enhance the high frequency heterodynes like
5-Khz, which can be annoying if you don't have a notch filter on your
receiver to remove those het's.

I use hi fidelity headphones and enjoy the sound from my radios.
Sony MDR-V600

They are the big around the ear type and very comfortable for long
periods of listening.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 5th 04, 03:35 AM
RHF

DX LUVER,

FIRST - Most Headphones today are made for Music Listeners who
want High Fidelity Sound Reproduction. For Radio use this means
FM Stereo Sound.

SECOND - For AM/MW and Shortwave sound reproduction a 'quality'
Headphone that can be used for FM Stereo Listening will do the
Job OK provided that it has a good long term Wear-ability Factor.

For AM/MW Shortwave DXing the Headphone's Wear-Ability-Factor
is Equal to the Headphone's Sound Reproduction Qualities.

For Me - The Headphone's Wear-Ability-Factor is usually an "ODD"
Number and Rating:

#1 = POOR - Less that One Hour and My Ears are 'Sore' and My Head 'Aches'.

#3 = GOOD - After Three Hours My Ears are getting Sore & Sweaty
and My Head is starting to Ache form the pressure of the Headphones.
(Lets me know it time for a Break from the Listening to the Radio.)

#5 = GREAT - After Five Hours My Ears are NOT Sore and My Head
is NOT Aching. (This usually means that I Missed getting up
from the Radio/Receiver and having a Meal )

THREE - About Headphones Sound Reproduction "Qualities:
"IF" you have a good AM/MW Shortwave Radio/Receiver that is a
real DX Machine with both Signal and Audio processing features.
Then the Radio/Receiver will be the "Limiting Factor" in the
Audio Chain and the Sound Level and Audio Reproduction that you
Hear on your Headphones will be a faithful reproduction of what
is being provided by your Radio/Receiver and nothing more.

IMHO: Personal Comfort and Wear-Ability is my primary Concern
in 'selecting' a set of today's quality High Fidelity Headphones
for Radio Listening and DXing.

TIP: Go to the RadioShack Store and Put them on your Head (Not
'plug' into anything.) and then walk around the RadioShack Store
for a Half-Hour and get the Feel of the Headphones on your Head.

NOTE: If you are not 'comfortable' Wearing the Headphone with
out any Sound for a Half-an-Hour; then they are not for you [.]

TBL: I trust to my Radios/Receivers to giving me the Sound Level
And Audio Reproduction that I need for Radio Listening and DXing.

BONUS - If you should want to do some FM Stereo Radio Listening
from a Radio that only has a Single Speaker / Mono-Aural Sound.
Then a set of quality High Fidelity Headphones are really Great
for doing some enjoyable Stereo Sound Listening via FM Radio.

mkia ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Dxluver) wrote in message
= = = ...

SPECIFICATIONS:
• Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
• Maximum Input Power: 100 mW
• Impedance: 60 ohm
• Nominal Sensitivity: 98dB
• Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.2% at 95 dB SPL, 400Hz and 1 KHz

Are those good specs though RHF for dxing?

Your 'best' DXing Specs are the ones for your Radio/Receiver.

Anyone in the knows here?

I don't want to get a pair of phones that aren't good for
long sessions of dxing.

Then - Think Comfort First.

produce dynamic sound and are perfect for listening
from your computer, MP3 or CD player

I use none of these, nor do I forsee it happening in the future.

I'll write down that cat.# and take a look.

See the Tip Above.

****right now though the most important thing to me is getting an 'extension
jack' for my external antenna jack that I can leave plugged in.*****

FWIW: RadioShack sells 3Ft-6Ft Mono & Stereo Audio Extension
Cables that do the trick. You can use them as is or modify them
with a small Utility Box that several Audio Output Jacks to meet
your specific Audio 'connection' needs.

TIP: These same 3Ft-6Ft Mono & Stereo Audio Extension Cables
can be used for the External 1'8" Antenna "INPUTS" that are use
on many 'portable' AM/FM/Shortwave Radios. Leave it connected to
the Radio and connect and disconnect the Antennas for the other
end of the Extension Cable. (Save the Radio's External Antenna
Input from 'wear-an-tear'. Again you can modify this Cable with
a small Utility Box that several Antenna Input Jacks and Terminals
to meet your specific Antenna 'connection' needs. Also, you can
include some circuity to provide a small level of Radio/Receive
PROTECTION from EMF and ESD.

READ: Portable Radio Antenna Input Protection
[ Three Levels: Good / Better / Best ! ]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/126

thanks rhf:-)

..
REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and beyond, The Beyond !
..
..
Old March 6th 04, 10:26 AM
Dxluver

Koss are VERY cushy - they use foam covered with leatherette.

My Pro-120's did too, but the leatherette wore off, now I just have foam.

that'll work, thanks for the info. I wonder how this rat shack episode
goes...lol...just kidding. I'll go to the local (good so far) one.
Old March 6th 04, 10:28 AM
Dxluver

My Pro-120's did too, but the leatherette wore off, now I just have foam.

That's where you encircle them with electrical tape. :-) I did my Pro 40's and
they look good and it served the purpose.

#1 = POOR - Less that One Hour and My Ears are 'Sore' and My Head 'Aches'.

#3 = GOOD - After Three Hours My Ears are getting Sore & Sweaty

#5 = GREAT - After Five Hours My Ears are NOT Sore and My Head
[...]

******************rest snipped***********

good post rhf, yeah I don't do the fm listening thing so that's not a problem.
I'll check out those Koss ones when I get a chance for 19.99 and see.
'Thanks again
Old March 6th 04, 10:38 AM
Dxluver

Didn't catch the brand you've got, but some (many?) manufacturers carry
replacement ear pads. For Sony, you'd better be sitting down when they
tell you the price.

these were radio shacks Optimus Pro 40's. I'll bring em' in also, so they're
there in front of them....lol. See if they have any 'cups.' I doubt it, but
it's worth a try.