Old March 6th 04, 09:16 PM
Brian

Default powerline interference help

I've noticed interference, the huming/buzzing sort, pretty much throughout
the shortwave bands, being stronger in the lower bands and tapering off
around the higher ones. After walking around with my portable I tracked it
to the utility main where the power comes in from the lines. So, I moved the
antenna to the opposite side of the house, but the noise is still there, not
as strong, but there. However, when I strung the wire up perpendicular to
the direction the powerlines were coming in it was gone. The only problem
with that is I will have to run it parallel at some point to get it into the
house. If anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate. For those who
will ask, I am using an Icom R75, somewhere between 70 and 100 feet of
antenna wire to a 9:1 matching unit, fed with coax and grounded. The antenna
works beautifully where the interference is not present, but it's really
killing weaker signals on 120 meters coming from S. America and such. Thanks
for any help.

Brian

Old March 6th 04, 09:49 PM
Incognito

Try calling the power company -- here in No Calif they are very helpful.
Their reason is leaking power means lost power and they usually fix it -- if
it is coming from something under their control.

Have done this in several locations thruout the years and they were always
helpful
--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

link.net...

Old March 7th 04, 12:34 AM

You will want to run a wire (12 or 14 ga.) to an earth ground rod that
is down some 10 feet. And connect that to the ground connection on your
radio..

You will want to run a separate 12 volt power supply to feed your radio
and make sure that is also connected to its own earth ground rod..

You will want to feed your 12 volt power supply via your house wiring
that has a 3-prong plug type outlet..

You will want to also have your fusebox be connected to a earth ground
rod too.

Try these items and that should solve some of your problems..

73's
Roger
West Michigan

Old March 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Rob Mills

"Brian" wrote in message
link.net...

I tracked it to the utility main where the power comes in from the

lines.

In my neck of the woods the power company uses aluminum lines from the pole
to the service panel. They use a special connector to connect their aluminum
lines to my copper lines and for some reason these connectors don't seem to
last very long. I've had to have them (the power co) replace mine twice in
about 10 years. RM~

Old March 8th 04, 10:43 PM
starman

Rob Mills wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
link.net...

I tracked it to the utility main where the power comes in from the

lines.

In my neck of the woods the power company uses aluminum lines from the pole
to the service panel. They use a special connector to connect their aluminum
lines to my copper lines and for some reason these connectors don't seem to
last very long. I've had to have them (the power co) replace mine twice in
about 10 years. RM~

If it happens again, ask them to apply an electrical compound on the
connection that inhibits the galvanic corrosion of disimilar metals.