Old March 9th 04, 12:35 AM
Brian

Default powerline interference

Well, a guy from the utility company came out today and checked the power
main, said it was fine. He scheduled a road crew to come out and check the
poles, which I hope to be the culprit. After he was gone I went out to the
street with my portable to see if any of the poles were suspect. There are
two, pretty much in front of my house, on either end, that are strongly
eminating that 60hz buzz. One looks as if it has been replaced somewhat
recently and the other is looking prety rough. I, of course, suspect the
latter. I also am having an intermittent loud, crackling, popping kind of
sound. I seem to hear it wherever there is dead air or a weak station that
I'd prefer to hear. Is anyone here familiar with this? It 's also there with
the power main shut off. I hope it is related to the suspicious pole and
will be reconciled when the utility crew comes out. Anyway, I appreciate all
of your suggestions thus far. Wish me luck! 73,

Brian

Old March 9th 04, 04:47 AM
Dxluver

Wish me luck! 73,

Wish you luck Brian, seriously, good luck and let the group know what
happened. OK?
Old March 9th 04, 05:16 AM
Leonard Martin

In article . net,
"Brian" wrote:

[...]

Hate to be a pessimist, but I had this problem years ago--at least I
think it was powerline interference. I went around hitting poles for
blocks around, and many would give a satisfying change in the noise. I
later learned that the powerlines pick up the noise and re-radiate it
strongly for miles around!

Oh yes, I forgot about the "interference" crew from the utility. They
professed to be unable to hear the S9 noise from my radio. They drove
around for a while and looked busy. They came back twice more and
repeated these actions, to no avail. I followed up with many phone
calles. Finally I realized that their job was to politely wait until I
would give up and they could go away.

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"