Old March 9th 04, 03:36 PM
Love2camp5

Default Finally heard some SSB

Last night and this morning I was finally able to pull in some SSB on my new
radio. Last night on 3885 I could very clearly hear a ham operator in
Rhinebeck, NY and his conversations (I felt like an eavesdropper!) And this
morning (it was on 7"something") was the radio club from junior high school #22
in New York City area on something called "class net". What is that?

Linda
Pennsylvania
Old March 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Jim Hackett

Try 6.350 and 10.320 USB. Armed forces radio network. Depending on time
of day, one or the other should be an easy catch!

Old March 9th 04, 08:47 PM
N8KDV

Jim Hackett wrote:

Try 6.350 and 10.320 USB. Armed forces radio network. Depending on time
of day, one or the other should be an easy catch!

Those two frequencies are out of Hawaii and since Linda is in Pennsylvania she
might have better luck with 12133.5 and 5446.5 out of Key West Florida or 7507
from Puerto Rico.

Here is the American Forces Network frequency page:

http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/shortwave/

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 10th 04, 10:43 AM
WG

SSB is more fun then hunting the AM broadcast stations. The ham bands are 80
meters from 3.500 MHz to 4.000 MHz LSB, 40 meters from 7.000 to 7.300 LSB,
30 meters from 10.100 MHz to 10.150 MHz CW and data, 20 meters from 14.000
to 14.350 USB, 17 meters from 18.068 to 18.168 USB, 15 meters from 21.000 to
21.450 USB, 12 meters from 24.890 to 24.990 USB and 10 meters from 28.000 to
29.700 USB. The ham bands are broken into sub bands for CW or phone. Usually
the lower part of the band is for CW. 20 meters is the most popular
short-wave band and during the right conditions it will give you world wide
radio. Don't worry about feeling like you are eavesdropping. All Hams know
that they are being listened to and that is why we ham it up on the bands.
You may want to try getting a program like MMSSTV and listen around 14.230
MHz USB for hams sending Slow Scan Television. Nets are get together on the
air set up for specific times. Some are daily, some are weekly and some are
monthly. Some are talk nets, some are message and traffic handling and some
are public service nets. They attract hams that are interested in like
things. If you can get on one of the transcontinental nets you can get a
good idea how good your radio is working and what the Ionosphere is doing.
Have fun

Old March 10th 04, 11:54 AM
N8KDV

Love2camp5 wrote:

Last night and this morning I was finally able to pull in some SSB on my new
radio. Last night on 3885 I could very clearly hear a ham operator in
Rhinebeck, NY and his conversations (I felt like an eavesdropper!) And this
morning (it was on 7"something") was the radio club from junior high school #22
in New York City area on something called "class net". What is that?

Here is a list of 'nets' that may be of interest to you:

http://www.worldofradio.com/nets2you.html

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old March 10th 04, 02:58 PM
David

Eavesdropping Ham radio rag chewing makes me suicidal.

Old March 10th 04, 03:17 PM
Rev. Tim McIntire

"David" wrote in message
Eavesdropping Ham radio rag chewing makes me suicidal.

Apparently not, if you're still here to write that.

Rev. Tim McIntire AIM/YIM/MSN: revtimmymac
http://www.reverendtim.com PGP Key ID: 0x0290EA17

Old March 11th 04, 09:37 AM
Mark Keith

"WG" wrote in message news:MjC3c.188313$Hy3.62034@edtnps89...
SSB is more fun then hunting the AM broadcast stations. The ham bands are 80
meters from 3.500 MHz to 4.000 MHz LSB, 40 meters from 7.000 to 7.300 LSB,
30 meters from 10.100 MHz to 10.150 MHz CW and data, 20 meters from 14.000
to 14.350 USB, 17 meters from 18.068 to 18.168 USB, 15 meters from 21.000 to
21.450 USB, 12 meters from 24.890 to 24.990 USB and 10 meters from 28.000 to
29.700 USB.

What? We 160m "1.800-2.000" op's get left out? Sad... MK
Old March 11th 04, 10:40 AM
WG

I know I left that one out. I find that one too noisy and you need one hell
of a good antenna to pick up anything on it besides crashes and the like.
Also the range under normal conditions is next to nothing, (a few hundred
miles). I apologize to all of you Lowfers.

"Mark Keith" wrote in message
m...