Old March 9th 04, 11:12 PM
Mike Terry

Default Swiss Radio International leaves SW in October - 500 kW transmitter for sale!

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

This item is taken from the March newsletter of the National Association of
Shortwave Broadcasters:

SRI's Ulrich Wegmuller explained at the closing plenary session of HFCC in
Dubai that his station will be ending its shortwave broadcasts at the end of
October 2004. At that time, SRI's programs will be transmitted only via
Internet. As a result of SRI's move to end shortwave broadcasts for the time
being, the station's only remaining transmitter in Switzerland (in Sottens)
will be idle, and its owner - Swisscom - is willing to sell the transmitter
whole or as spare parts. It's an ABB 500-kilowatt, type SK55 C3-P, operating
from 5.9 to 26.1 MHz with a PSM modulator and Dynamic Carrier Control (DCC).
The unit was built in 1989.

Anyone seriously interested should contact Media Network at Radio
Netherlands via who will pass on the enquiry.

# posted by Andy Sennitt @ 22:21 UTC

Old March 9th 04, 11:19 PM
Brenda Ann

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
As a result of SRI's move to end shortwave broadcasts for the time
being, the station's only remaining transmitter in Switzerland (in

Sottens)
will be idle, and its owner - Swisscom - is willing to sell the

transmitter
whole or as spare parts. It's an ABB 500-kilowatt, type SK55 C3-P,

operating
from 5.9 to 26.1 MHz with a PSM modulator and Dynamic Carrier Control

(DCC).
The unit was built in 1989.

Anyone seriously interested should contact Media Network at Radio
Netherlands via who will pass on the enquiry.

Wouldn't that make a hella pirate transmitter?? I can imagine it now..
someone like The Colonel with half a megawatt..

Old March 10th 04, 01:16 AM
elg110254

What a loss to shortwave listeners worldwide! On my "Switzerland Calling- Hier
Die Schweiz" QSL dated 29 VII 69, engineer L. Mindle admonished a young
listener whilst still issuing reception verification of their 25/4/69 0130
G.M.T. North America I transmissions on 9.535 mhz/ & 11.715mhz with: "You
forgot to indicate the date of listening. We were only able to trace the date
by means of the details given in your report. Remember a report is only of any
value, if it contains both the date and the time of reception in addition to
program details. We've sent you our current Program Schedule and wish you good
listening". Nowadays you hardly get a thank-you or a .... you!!!
Old March 10th 04, 01:41 AM
N8KDV

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

[...]

QSL 'em whilst you can. Countries are disappearing at an accelerating rate from
the SW bands.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 10th 04, 02:50 AM
tommyknocker

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

[...]

AFAIK only a few countries have dropped SW entirely, and they are the
ones that broadcast to a limited number of expatriates who are generally
rich enough to afford satellite or internet. The BBC has explicitly
stated that it is interested only in a narrow slice of potential
listeners who all have satellite or internet. I don't know why Deutsche
Welle quit English broadcasts, but their German service is still going
strong-I've logged them in German several times over the past couple
weeks.

Old March 10th 04, 04:56 AM
WShoots1

Sad. I'm still amazed that the Internet can attract the listeners that the SW
stations had. One has to already know where the station Internet sites are to
get there. I certainly don't know of a way to surf the "shortwave" broadcasts
on the Internet.

Bill, K5BY
Old March 10th 04, 06:08 AM
Frank Dresser

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

AFAIK only a few countries have dropped SW entirely, and they are the
ones that broadcast to a limited number of expatriates who are

generally
rich enough to afford satellite or internet. The BBC has explicitly
stated that it is interested only in a narrow slice of potential
listeners who all have satellite or internet. I don't know why

Deutsche
Welle quit English broadcasts, but their German service is still going
strong-I've logged them in German several times over the past couple
weeks.

Countries aren't budgeting as much money for International Broadcasting
as they did in the Cold War. I think one reason for the cutbacks is to
ration the useful life of their transmitters. If so, when the old
transmitters get too expensive to maintain, we'll see more countries
drop brodcasting entirely.

Frank Dresser

Old March 10th 04, 06:16 AM
Frank Dresser

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Wouldn't that make a hella pirate transmitter?? I can imagine it now..
someone like The Colonel with half a megawatt..

But the Colonel is in prison! Wait a minute. Should the Colonel be the
only SW broadcaster in prison? Couldn't the government find some sleazy
SW investment advisors and health food kooks to keep the Colonel
company? Not to mention The Last Day Prophet of God. They could form
their own network!

Nah. Why bother. That would be like re-inventing the wheel.

Frank Dresser

Old March 10th 04, 06:31 AM
Brenda Ann

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Wouldn't that make a hella pirate transmitter?? I can imagine it now..
someone like The Colonel with half a megawatt..

But the Colonel is in prison! Wait a minute. Should the Colonel be the
only SW broadcaster in prison? Couldn't the government find some sleazy
SW investment advisors and health food kooks to keep the Colonel
company? Not to mention The Last Day Prophet of God. They could form
their own network!

Nah. Why bother. That would be like re-inventing the wheel.

Ah, but Frank, I said someone LIKE the Colonel.. not specifically the
Colonel.. I'm sure there are more than enough like him out there, and
maybe even a few with $$$..