Old March 11th 04, 01:05 AM
Sanjaya

Default antenna mini plug

I want to connect a length of 22 AWG hookup wire
to my radio's antenna-in jack which takes a 1/8th in. mini-plug.
I can get the wire at Radio Shack, and the plug too,
but am confused about what to buy.
I'm guessing what I want is called a mono 2 conductor.
Solderless?
Not sure though.

Old March 11th 04, 03:56 AM
Howard

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:05:19 GMT, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

I want to connect a length of 22 AWG hookup wire
to my radio's antenna-in jack which takes a 1/8th in. mini-plug.
I can get the wire at Radio Shack, and the plug too,
but am confused about what to buy.
I'm guessing what I want is called a mono 2 conductor.
Solderless?
Not sure though.

Sounds like you might not have, or have ready access to, a soldering
iron. If that's the case then definitely go solderless, though the
only one RatShack has is "gold plated for better signal transfer" -
but the extra buck or so is less $$ than buying an iron & solder if
this this is the only use you would need it for. Also recommend you
use the stranded hookup wire - you'll find it easier to work with.
Old March 11th 04, 05:22 AM
Gray Shockley

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:05:19 -0600, Sanjaya wrote
(in message k.net):

I want to connect a length of 22 AWG hookup wire
to my radio's antenna-in jack which takes a 1/8th in. mini-plug.
I can get the wire at Radio Shack, and the plug too,
but am confused about what to buy.
I'm guessing what I want is called a mono 2 conductor.
Solderless?
Not sure though.

What radio?

A couple of the Sangeans take a stereo (3-conductor) plug (if you want to
preserve MW(am) reception).

/gray/

Old March 11th 04, 10:06 AM
Sanjaya

"Gray Shockley" wrote...
What radio?

A couple of the Sangeans take a stereo (3-conductor) plug (if you want to
preserve MW(am) reception).

/gray/

Degen DE1102 and yet to be purchased Tecsun PL-550.

Old March 11th 04, 10:08 AM
Sanjaya

"Howard" wrote...
Sounds like you might not have, or have ready access to, a soldering
iron. If that's the case then definitely go solderless, though the
only one RatShack has is "gold plated for better signal transfer" -
but the extra buck or so is less $$ than buying an iron & solder if
this this is the only use you would need it for. Also recommend you
use the stranded hookup wire - you'll find it easier to work with.

Correct... I'd like to do this without purchasing the iron and solder.
Thanks Howard.

Old March 11th 04, 10:54 AM
RHF

SANJAYA,

"Not sure though." Neither Am I )

Maybe first you should tell us what radio you are talking about.

Some radios use a 1/8" Mono-Jack for the External Antenna Input.

Some radios use a 1/8" Stereo-Jack for the External Antenna Input.

Still other radios have HI-Z Terminals and LO-Z Connectors.

SO - What is the Brand Name of your Radio ?

SO - What is the Model Number of your Radio ?

ABOUT SIMPLE RANDOM WIRE ANTENNAS and 'portable' Shortwave Radios:

INDOORS - If you are simply trying to use a 'short'
20Ft-30Ft InDoor 'extension' as a "Random Wire Antenna":
It is best to connect the Wire directly to the Radio's
Whip Antenna.
TIP: Usually I collapse the Whip Antenna and Connect
the Wire using an Alligator Clip to the Swivel Base of
the Whip Antenna, or the Protruding Tip of the Whip Antenna.

OUTSIDE - If you are trying to use an External Random Wire
Antenna that is located OutSide and is about 25Ft-45Ft.
Then it is better to use the External Antenna Jack of
the Radio with the appropriate connector to 'connect'
to the Radio's Jack or Terminal.
NOTE: If the Outside Random Wire Antenna is longer then
about 45Ft and over 15Ft in the Air; then an outside
Grounding Point is highly recommended for Safety.

PWA - The Third Option is "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)
that was created and written about by Tom Sevart [N2UHC].
READ - Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]

iane ~ RHF
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = thlink.net...

Old March 11th 04, 11:15 AM
Sanjaya

"RHF" wrote...

[snippage]
SO - What is the Brand Name of your Radio ?

SO - What is the Model Number of your Radio ?

Degen DE1102 and Tecsun PL-550
I want to use the Portable Shortwave Antenna
idea http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html
and modify it the way you described in a reply you made
my post "Antenna Wire" in February.

On Feb. 15th RHF wrote...

1. For "PWA" Antenna try using
RadioShack Catalog # 278-1218
UL Recognized Hookup Wire Ninety Foot (90Ft)
Spool of Stranded 22 AWG Insulated Wire.

2. Measure the Maximum Diameter of your radio's Whip Antenna.
Most Pet Stores sell clear Plastic Tubing in short 2.5Ft to 4Ft
lengths. Buy a piece that is 1/8" -1/4" larger Inside Diameter
then the Whip Antenna. Cut this to the "Length" of the Top of your
Radio or the "Length" of One to Two Sections of the Whip Antenna.

3. READ: Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

NOTE: To use this as both an AM/MW Ferrite Rod Coupling Coil;
and a Shortwave and FM Whip Antenna Coupling Coil. Leave a One
Foot Tag Line 'short piece' of Wire for a direct Ground or
Radio Connection. Then start at one end with 10-15 Turns of wire
(about a One Inch long area) that is wrapped close and tight
'Side-by-Side' followed by 15-25 turns that are Spaced about
1/4" to 1/2" apart over the remaining Length of the Plastic Tubing.

iane ~ RHF

Old March 11th 04, 02:26 PM
Eddie Thomas

Hi, if its a sangean model or similar it would take a 1/8" stereo mini plug
instead of the mono plug. This is because of the way that the internal am
loopstick is wired to the jack. for details go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...n/909tech.html

hlink.net...

Old March 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Love2camp5

3. READ: Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

I thought that message article might be interesting, but I cannot find it. Am
I doing something wrong???

Thanks,
Linda
Old March 11th 04, 09:28 PM
Sanjaya

"Eddie Thomas" wrote in message news:CG_3c.4217$bP2.38971@attbi_s53...
Hi, if its a sangean model or similar it would take a 1/8" stereo mini plug
instead of the mono plug. This is because of the way that the internal am
loopstick is wired to the jack. for details go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...n/909tech.html

Thanks Eddie.
It's a Degen DE1102 radio with mono connection to the antenna jack.
I'm going to use the antenna with that and with a Tecsun PL-550 if
and when I get that radio too. I can buy stereo plug also if the
Tecsun requires it, since I'm looking at the solderless mono plug
for the antenna coupled to the Degen.