Old March 11th 04, 11:47 PM
RHF

= = = (Love2camp5) wrote in message
= = = ...

3. READ: Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

I thought that message article might be interesting,
but I cannot find it. Am I doing something wrong ? ? ?

Thanks,
Linda

LINDA,

The revised Link/URL is:

hth ~ RHF

..
Old March 12th 04, 06:25 AM
WShoots1

I was wondering why the ring had to be grounded in a stereo plug when the shell
of a mono plug would do the same thing. From that site is a real answer:

How do I disable the internal MW antenna?

Using a 1/8" stereo connector, ground the ring terminal to the sleeve. Or
else use a 1/8" mono connector. The FAQ author much prefers the former method
as this can be controlled by a SPST switch to disable and reenable the internal
antenna, thus saving the antenna jack inside the radio from wear.

The external antenna jumper that came with my DX-392 has a mono plug. I can't
use the MW loop inside my metal mobilehome. So the plug just stays plugged in.

Bill, K5BY
Old March 12th 04, 09:31 AM
Dxluver

TIP: Usually I collapse the Whip Antenna and Connect
the Wire using an Alligator Clip to the Swivel Base of
the Whip Antenna, or the Protruding Tip of the Whip Antenna.

Hmmm, never thought about the swivel base. I usually use the far end tip,
seems like though the base would be sturdier and better. I'll give it a try
and see.
Old March 12th 04, 09:52 AM
Sanjaya

"RHF" wrote...
SANJAYA,

So what do the Degen DE1102 and Tecsun PL-550 use for their
External Antenna Input:
Mono 1/8" Jack ?
Stereo 1/8" Jack ?

Except for the Sangean ATS-909 which is by 'design' Capable of
using a larger/longer (over 35 Feet) outside External Antennas.

FWIW: In general most 'portable' Shortwave Radios function at
their best with a medium length outside External Antenna that is
about 30-35 Long.

IMHO: The Portable Wire Antenna (PWA) is the better choice for
most 'portable' Shortwave Radios; especially when the outside
External Antenna is over 70 Feet long.

READ - "More On - Building the 'Portable Wire Antenna' (PWA)"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/826
.
.
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]

Hi RHF.

The Degen DE1102 has a mono 1/8 inch input.

I don't have the PL-550 yet, I might get one...
so I don't know it's input, or if it's designed for long
external antennas. It does have an antenna attenuator
knob though.

I'm guessing the DE1102 is not, by design, capable of using
a longer than 35 foot external antenna.
I'm going to make the PWA and was going to make it over 35 feet...
the perimeter of my listening room 48 ft + the windings on the tube...
50 feet approximately, plus another foot of wire for the mono
plug to connect to the radio.

Thanks for your input. I wasn't very clear in my earlier posts,
so I hope this helps clear up what I'm trying to do.

Old March 12th 04, 01:17 PM
Love2camp5

LINDA,

The revised Link/URL is:

hth ~ RHF

Thanks for that revised link....now I am getting the message that "you are not
a member of this group..."

Could anyone here who can access that post, please copy and paste that message
and either post it here or email it to me?

Thanks,
Linda

Old March 15th 04, 05:45 AM
Temporary FL@L&ER

Just join the group via YahooGroups. You can get to it via the main
Yahoo menu. After you get there it is simple enough.

On 12 Mar 2004 13:17:31 GMT, (Love2camp5) wrote:

LINDA,

The revised Link/URL is:

hth ~ RHF

Thanks for that revised link....now I am getting the message that "you are not
a member of this group..."

Could anyone here who can access that post, please copy and paste that message
and either post it here or email it to me?

Thanks,
Linda

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Molon Labe!
Old March 15th 04, 09:12 PM
Sanjaya

Ok, I have a portable SW radio with 1/8 inch mono antenna jack input.
I have 22 AWG hookup wire from RS.
I have a solderless 1/8 mono mini plug.
The mini plug has a sheath covering 2 screw "posts" where the wire
hooks up. One post goes to the center, the other goes to the outside
of the plug.
Which post gets the wire?

Old March 15th 04, 09:15 PM
N8KDV

Sanjaya wrote:

Ok, I have a portable SW radio with 1/8 inch mono antenna jack input.
I have 22 AWG hookup wire from RS.
I have a solderless 1/8 mono mini plug.
The mini plug has a sheath covering 2 screw "posts" where the wire
hooks up. One post goes to the center, the other goes to the outside
of the plug.
Which post gets the wire?

My guess would be the post going to the center.

Old March 16th 04, 10:10 PM
John Miller

Sanjaya wrote:
Anyone?

"Sanjaya" wrote...
The mini plug has a sheath covering 2 screw "posts" where the wire
hooks up. One post goes to the center, the other goes to the outside
of the plug.
Which post gets the wire?

Conventionally, the antenna goes to the center, or tip.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

In a medium in which a news piece takes a minute and an "in-depth" piece
takes two minutes, the simple will drive out the complex.
-Frank Mankiewicz