Old March 18th 04, 06:19 AM
WShoots1

As soon as I List Unread, I back up to my newsgroup menu window and quickly
Mark Read rec.radio.shortwave.

Then, what I don't read during the session won't come up the next session.

Bill, K5BY
Old March 18th 04, 03:59 PM
Corbin Ray

That was exactly what I was trying to do, having OE mark all messages read
when leaving the newsgroup. It worked some of the time, but other times, I
would open the newsgroup and while I was reading messages, I would get an
email that needed my immediate attention. And when I closed my newsreader,
all the messages were marked read and I would lose my place when I went back
to it.

Thanks for everyone's help. And thank you Paul for coming up with the idea
of using a news proxy. That makes a lot of sense, because my anti-viral
software already filters my email through a proxy, so why couldn't a news
group be treated the same way?

I'm going to try it to see what happens. Thanks again to everyone who
offered their expertise.

Old March 20th 04, 05:43 AM
WShoots1

It worked some of the time, but other times, I would open the newsgroup and
while I was reading messages, I would get an email that needed my immediate
attention. And when I closed my newsreader, all the messages were marked read
and I would lose my place when I went back to it.

That used to happen to me unintentionally several years ago. I used to haunt a
large AOL news forum and, for a while, AOL would cut us off ramdomly. To
counter that, I would at the beginning just ask for the last day's worth, read
or unread, and then mark everything read as I left the session. That would get
rid of anything older than one day.

Bill, K5BY