Old March 18th 04, 12:36 AM
Corbin Ray

Default General Newsgroup Question

I am using Outlook Express as my news reader program. Rec.radio.shortwave is
the only newsgroup that I read or post to. I'm just wondering if there is a
way to block entire threads of subject matter that I am not interested in.

Some examples of threads that I would like to see blocked by my computer
include:

WWWB Decoder Circuit
Why don't you debate me?
Spain proves terror attacks work
Shortwave Group is blackballing me
R New Zealand Int'l A04 Schedule

I'm not looking to block any particular poster. If he or she has an opinion
about a subject that I share an interest, then I look forward to reading
their posting.

Any ideas?

Old March 18th 04, 01:10 AM
T. Early

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think you can block (hide) subjects -before- you see the first
message in Outlook Express, but you can put a thread on "ignore." To
make a long story short, go to your help index in Outlook Express and
type in "ignore conversation" to bring up instructions.

Old March 18th 04, 03:08 AM
Brian Denley

Corbin Ray wrote:

Some examples of threads that I would like to see blocked by my
computer include:

WWWB Decoder Circuit
Why don't you debate me?
Spain proves terror attacks work
Shortwave Group is blackballing me
R New Zealand Int'l A04 Schedule

Any ideas?

...and you problem with the thread on RNZI shortwave broadcasting schedule
is??

--
Brian Denley

Old March 18th 04, 03:19 AM
Jim B

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
I am using Outlook Express as my news reader program. Rec.radio.shortwave

is
the only newsgroup that I read or post to. I'm just wondering if there is

way to block entire threads of subject matter that I am not interested in.

Some examples of threads that I would like to see blocked by my computer
include:

WWWB Decoder Circuit
Why don't you debate me?
Spain proves terror attacks work
Shortwave Group is blackballing me
R New Zealand Int'l A04 Schedule

I'm not looking to block any particular poster. If he or she has an

opinion
about a subject that I share an interest, then I look forward to reading
their posting.

Any ideas?

Greetings from Gloucester!

Click Tools Message Rules News...
Check When the subject line contains specific words
Check delete it
Click on the blue "specific words" and type in words or phrases from
subjects you might want to avoid.
This only works if you can figure out in advance what you want to avoid -
sexual references, politics, etc,

Good luck,
Jim B

Old March 18th 04, 03:57 AM
Corbin Ray

It's nothing against anyone or any poster. Some threads don't interest me
because they are about a specific radio I don't own. Other threads concern
reception of stations in very far off countries (New Zealand, etc.) that my
limited equipment just can't snag. Still others are too technically natured
such as how to modify a radio or try to understand solar propagation. And of
course, others are the well-known whining threads that get under everyone's
skin.

Please don't feel like this is an insult to anyone. I really respect Michael
Bryant, not just for his knowledge of dxing, but he's a fellow Kentuckian as
well.

I was only trying to find a way to save myself some time so I could better
peruse the parts of the newsgroup that interested me more than others.

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone. I respect everyone who posts here and
consider every one of you to be my superior. I'm just hoping to learn a
little at a time so maybe one day, I can be one of you experts too.

Thanks for understanding.

Old March 18th 04, 04:07 AM
Michael Bryant

From: "Corbin Ray"

I respect everyone who posts here and
consider every one of you to be my superior. I'm just hoping to learn a
little at a time so maybe one day, I can be one of you experts too.

Thanks for understanding.

Well, it's certainly your right to block whatever you please. But you should be
able to pick up New Zealand easily with very modest equipment from your
location. RNZI programming is really some of the most interesting you'll find.

My family is originally from Whitley City in McCreary county. Beautiful down
there.

With great respect from a fellow Kentuckian,

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old March 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Paul_Morphy

Enough sarcasm, time for answers! NewsProxy will do the job. Unfortunately,
they have disappeared. As they were giving it away, so will I, until they
return or the bandwidth gets too high.

Read how to use it he http://www.aapcsite.plus.com/newsproxy.html

If you can understand it, you can download it he http://bfozx.url.cjb.net
in zipped format (117 kB). Put the files in a directory, read the directions
and go for it (slight reconfig needed in Outlook Express: change Server Name
to localhost).

I will not respond to requests for help, don't even bother asking! Use at
your own risk. I've been using it for years. A sample killfile for
rec.radio.shortwave accompanies the zip file.

Enjoy.

"PM"

Old March 18th 04, 06:19 AM
WShoots1

As soon as I List Unread, I back up to my newsgroup menu window and quickly
Mark Read rec.radio.shortwave.

Then, what I don't read during the session won't come up the next session.

Bill, K5BY