Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20th 04, 10:49 PM
ac-acadaptor

Default The Long awaited DE1102 (First Impression)

Well, my l-o-n-g awaited DE-1102 f-i-n-a-l-l-y came today. Even though he
has the best price going, waiting for a radio to arrive from Liypn is about
as much fun as watching paint dry! 12 days. Somehow, it seemed longer.

Maybe I wouldn't have been quite as disappointed had it come sooner. I
will admit that I only played with it for about 20 minutes, in the middle of
the day here in R.F. hell (San Jose) . There are plenty of signals
bouncing around these parts, just not anything you want to listen to.
Anyway, whoever it was that said this radio was comparable to a
DX-398/ATS-909 OBVIOUSLY doesn't own one. My 398, off the whip (and 398's
are known for not being very sensitive off the whip), picks up many more
stations than the DE1102 did with the external antenna plugged in!

I don't believe the radio is very user friendly, either. Had to keep
the manual handy. As stated by others, the SSB feature is easy enough to
work and is reasonably stable. I have been accused of bashing many radios.
(I own many) This one doesn't make for a good first impression, to me
anyway. To be fair, I will test it out later tonight when the noises of
the city die down and the signals come alive...

P.S. The BLUE light is pretty awesome...
J.H.