Old March 22nd 04, 12:51 PM
Alan J Giddings

Hello Brian,
Just a quick note to say that my 1102 is now preferred by me to my
Sony ICF-7600G, ATS909 and my my Grundig Yatchboy. The 1102 is not
the best but for a $100 new it's a great deal.
Regards,
Alan
"Brian Denley" wrote in message news:CAt7c.56170$_w.900795@attbi_s53...
Overwelmed by Stupidity wrote:

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm would have been quite evident. If you
would or have followed the DEGEN DE1102 posts on this forum, you would
have found people comparing this radio to the R-75 and Drake R8 and
being surprised that it did not perform as well. Please also note
again the name I posted under. Some people just never seem to
understand.

My orignal comment was based on comparing that radio to a 'decent' portable
such as the Sony icf-7600. I made no attempt to compare it to a table top
receiver. I don't think the DE1102 is a very good radio (even though it is
cheap) and I wouldn't recommend it to someone starting in the hobby.

Old March 22nd 04, 12:57 PM
Alan J Giddings

Hello,
I agree with you on that point. The trouble with these SW groups is
that some folk will "trash" any receiver that is not theirs, it's
always the same. Anything that might be good/better/value for money
and they come on here telling everyone such and such is rubbish, so
and so is junk with no evidence or any reasonable/subjective approach
to the receiver in question. The best SW receiver I have used was in
the navy, I could listen almost anything out there but as I am not
able to buy this stuff I settle for the what I can afford, a Degen
1102 (plus a few others) which lets me listen to most stuff of
interest to me. I feel a bit sorry for some folk....now where's me
1102........
Regards,
Alan
"Corbin Ray" wrote in message ...
My feeling on the subject (which really gets some people's dander up
sometimes) is that my DE1102 will let me pick up more than 95% of what a
$5000 rig can get. If that 95% is enough for you, welcome to the club.

Old March 23rd 04, 01:22 AM
Jackie

I have run up about 200 hours of
listening on my 1102 and have found it to be a capable little addition
to my SW receiver collection, not the best receiver you can buy but
certainly one of the best for a $100.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I would not compare the DE1102 (or my KA1102) to a
Drake R8 or other high-end tabletop radio, but for a small portable
shortwave, it's a good deal for the price.

Jackie

Old March 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
Stinger

"Jackie" wrote in message
I have run up about 200 hours of
listening on my 1102 and have found it to be a capable little addition
to my SW receiver collection, not the best receiver you can buy but
certainly one of the best for a $100.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I would not compare the DE1102 (or my KA1102) to

Drake R8 or other high-end tabletop radio, but for a small portable
shortwave, it's a good deal for the price.

Jackie

Actually, I would qualify it even further. The KA1102's niche is as a
unique "Walkman"-type radio for use with light stereo headphones on-the-go.
It really excels in that application.

However, if you're going to put it on a nightstand and listen via the
speaker, you would be much better off with a YB400 or an ATS-909 (both of
which are more expensive than a KA1102 -- but well worth it in terms of
better audio quality).

-- Stinger

Old March 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
Jackie

"Stinger" wrote in message
. ..

Actually, I would qualify it even further. The KA1102's niche is as a
unique "Walkman"-type radio for use with light stereo headphones

on-the-go.
It really excels in that application.

I can see how it would fit neatly into that niche. My KA1102 is barely
larger than my Yaesu VX-5R handi-talkie, which is pocket-sized. Now that
it's warming up outside, I'm going to take my KA1102 out with me when I go
walking and biking.

Jackie

Old March 23rd 04, 02:31 AM
gil

However, if you're going to put it on a nightstand and listen via the
speaker, you would be much better off with a YB400 or an ATS-909 (both of
which are more expensive than a KA1102 -- but well worth it in terms of
better audio quality).

Had both the YB400 and the 909....how does the 1102 compare to them in
performance?

Gil
--
Please remove NOSPAM to reply
Stinger wrote in message
. ..

Old March 23rd 04, 03:25 AM
Brian Denley

Alan J Giddings wrote:
Hello Brian,
Just a quick note to say that my 1102 is now preferred by me to my
Sony ICF-7600G, ATS909 and my my Grundig Yatchboy. The 1102 is not
the best but for a $100 new it's a great deal.
Regards,
Alan

Alan:
You find it superior because it costs less? I tried one for three days and
found it to be a rather cheap feeling radio with VERY pedestrian
performance. The price means nothing to me if the performance isn't
decent...and it wasn't.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 24th 04, 06:12 PM
AC Smith

"gil" wrote in message link.net...

Had both the YB400 and the 909....how does the 1102 compare to them in
performance?

Gil

Gil,

I have a DX-398 (a 909) and an 1102 and ears wise, when the 1102 is
using its included wire it performs very well compared to the 398
(909). The 398 will handle MUCH more antenna and what that does for
you is not for me to say.

The DX-398 has a better speaker and sound, but it should for the price
and it is comparatively much bigger than the 1102.

The 1102 seems to do better on batteries for me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, it is just a matter of
money in my book.

acs
http://homepage.mac.com/chevyorange
Old March 25th 04, 06:46 PM
Dan

In article v6O7c.61320$JL2.805657@attbi_s03,
"Brian Denley" wrote:

You find it superior because it costs less? I tried one for three days and
found it to be a rather cheap feeling radio with VERY pedestrian
performance. The price means nothing to me if the performance isn't
decent...and it wasn't.

I would have to say that you had a lemon. I just received a Kaito
KA1102 (same radio), and it's performance is really quite amazing.

Now before you think "he has no experience", let me say that I also have
an original Drake R8, a Grundig Satellit 650, a Radio Shack DX-440 and
several antique tube receivers.

The 1102 is a great compact portable, that really excels when using
headphones. It's general performance is equal to the DX-440, but of
course the DX-440 sounds better thru it's speaker, which is to be
expected. Thru headphones they are nearly identical.

Keep in mind the DX-440 weighs about 5 pounds including it's 6 "D"
batteries, is about 3 times bigger, and cost $150 when new. The 1102
was $80 including shipping.

It's a great addition to a collection, and IMO can't be beat as a travel
portable.

Dan
Old March 26th 04, 02:36 AM
Brian Denley

Dan wrote:

I would have to say that you had a lemon. I just received a Kaito
KA1102 (same radio), and it's performance is really quite amazing.

It's a great addition to a collection, and IMO can't be beat as a
travel portable.

Dan

Dan:
I put it up against my Sony portable because that's what I use as a travel
radio. The Sony (SW55) had much better weak signal sensitivity (it also
costs much more!) and so I was dissapointed. But my main problem with these
Chinese portables is that they remind me of the Japanese portables of many
years ago: poor quality control. Japanese radios now have excellent quality
and hopefully it's only a matter of time until the Chinese manufacturers get
it right. Until then I will look elsewhere for a smaller travel radio:
maybe the SW1 or SW100.

--
Brian Denley

Why I chosen Degen over Kaito Corbin Ray Shortwave 8 March 8th 04 11:35 PM
Degen 1102 arrived today!!!!! Corbin Ray Shortwave 47 March 2nd 04 08:40 AM
Degen DE1102 SSB Sanjaya Shortwave 0 February 8th 04 06:38 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
() Degen shortwave radios from China Daniel Rosenzweig Shortwave 7 August 5th 03 10:51 AM