Old March 21st 04, 03:38 AM
gil

Default Degen DE1102 questions

Is this radio as good as many claim or is it just the hype of a new radio?
Where can I find one and how much are they going for?

--
Please remove NOSPAM to reply

Old March 21st 04, 04:08 AM
Brian Denley

gil wrote:
Is this radio as good as many claim or is it just the hype of a new
radio? Where can I find one and how much are they going for?

Gil:
It's mostly hype. The radio's claim to fame is the low price. The radio
will not compete with high level portables and shouldn't for the price. It
might make a great starter radio for someone.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 21st 04, 04:10 AM
ac-acadaptor

Funny you ask. I just got mine today. Let's just say that the jury is
STILL out, on this radio

k.net...

Old March 21st 04, 07:51 AM
Overwelmed by Stupidity

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:08:52 GMT, "Brian Denley"
wrote:

gil wrote:
Is this radio as good as many claim or is it just the hype of a new
radio? Where can I find one and how much are they going for?

Gil:
It's mostly hype. The radio's claim to fame is the low price. The radio
will not compete with high level portables and shouldn't for the price. It
might make a great starter radio for someone.

If this $75 radio will not outperform my $1700 Drake R8B, it seems
hardly worth building.
Old March 21st 04, 08:07 PM
Brian Denley

wrote:

Gil:
It's mostly hype. The radio's claim to fame is the low price. The
radio will not compete with high level portables and shouldn't for
the price. It might make a great starter radio for someone.

If this $75 radio will not outperform my $1700 Drake R8B, it seems
hardly worth building.

You're so overwhelmed, you can't even read correctly. Perhaps the word
'portable' needs to be explained to you.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 22nd 04, 03:43 AM
Corbin Ray

My feeling on the subject (which really gets some people's dander up
sometimes) is that my DE1102 will let me pick up more than 95% of what a
$5000 rig can get. If that 95% is enough for you, welcome to the club.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:47 AM
Overwelmed by Stupidity

wrote:

Gil:
It's mostly hype. The radio's claim to fame is the low price. The
radio will not compete with high level portables and shouldn't for
the price. It might make a great starter radio for someone.

If this $75 radio will not outperform my $1700 Drake R8B, it seems
hardly worth building.

You're so overwhelmed, you can't even read correctly. Perhaps the word
'portable' needs to be explained to you.

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm would have been quite evident. If you
would or have followed the DEGEN DE1102 posts on this forum, you would
have found people comparing this radio to the R-75 and Drake R8 and
being surprised that it did not perform as well. Please also note
again the name I posted under. Some people just never seem to
understand.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:03 AM
Brian Denley

Overwelmed by Stupidity wrote:

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm would have been quite evident. If you
would or have followed the DEGEN DE1102 posts on this forum, you would
have found people comparing this radio to the R-75 and Drake R8 and
being surprised that it did not perform as well. Please also note
again the name I posted under. Some people just never seem to
understand.

My orignal comment was based on comparing that radio to a 'decent' portable
such as the Sony icf-7600. I made no attempt to compare it to a table top
receiver. I don't think the DE1102 is a very good radio (even though it is
cheap) and I wouldn't recommend it to someone starting in the hobby.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 22nd 04, 10:27 AM
GO BEARCATS

My feeling on the subject (which really gets some people's dander up
sometimes) is that my DE1102 will let me pick up more than 95% of what a
$5000 rig can get. If that 95% is enough for you, welcome to the club.

Corbin,
Your credibility factor is waning. Now if you want to get serious and start
posting some 'realDX' logs with this incredible DX machine, please feel free.

But of course, you can 'type' anything.;-)
I need to sell my junk and just buy one DE and I'll have it made. Can I hook
it to my A/D DX sloper wayyyyy up in the air or to wire 600ft. wire of my other
120ft. sloper without it overloading?

Or will a string of ten ft. of wire work and I should get rid of my antennas
also. {?}

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wane Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/RhapsodyMultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old March 22nd 04, 12:48 PM
Alan J Giddings

Hello Gil,
I own the 1102 and quite a number of other SW portables. For the
price of $100 it is a good deal and well up to the job of catching
most of the major SW broadcasts aimed at the USA and Europe. It has
some nice features such as re-chargable batteries included in the box
which can be re-charged when used with the adaptor supplied (note the
adaptor is a 220v unit but most suplliers on eBay will includ a 110v
convertor at no extra cost). I have run up about 200 hours of
listening on my 1102 and have found it to be a capable little addition
to my SW receiver collection, not the best receiver you can buy but
certainly one of the best for a $100. I've no axe to grind, I have no
shares in Degen/Kaito etc and I am no expert on SW receivers but I am
a keen listener and my 1102 is great for that. If you have the money
you'll easily find much better receivers but it will be hard to find a
comparable receiver for a $100.
Goo0d luck with whatever you buy,
Regards,
Alan
mi"gil" wrote in message nk.net...
Is this radio as good as many claim or is it just the hype of a new radio?
Where can I find one and how much are they going for?

Why I chosen Degen over Kaito Corbin Ray Shortwave 8 March 8th 04 11:35 PM
Degen 1102 arrived today!!!!! Corbin Ray Shortwave 47 March 2nd 04 08:40 AM
Degen DE1102 SSB Sanjaya Shortwave 0 February 8th 04 06:38 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
() Degen shortwave radios from China Daniel Rosenzweig Shortwave 7 August 5th 03 10:51 AM