Old March 25th 04, 03:32 PM
GO BEARCATS

Default Versa-Corder info needed..........

I emailed Art and George and Lex and figured I'd post here and see if anyone
has the product and knows how to remedy the situation for me. The following
is/was my email to those guys.

***************************
I purchased the versa-corder for my Mom so she could tape and listen to your
shows. We seem to be having a problem, she's running out of tape. So I read
the instruction manual for her and noticed that the commercial need to be taken
out.

I called CCrane to no avail, the lady said 'some people' know the commercial
time slots and we've gotten calls that 'they go over' quite a lot. My Mom
would be asleep so there's nothing she could do and she'd end up missing parts
of the show.

On the versa corder site, it says the following
The VersaCorder records up to four hours on one side of a regular 120 min.
cassette tape or a 110 min. tape if you use the 6-event timer to eliminate
commercial breaks.
Can you help me out here and tell me how to do this or direct me to the proper
people, I know I'd appreciate it, because I purchased it for her *Just For*
the Coast to Coast shows. She really feels like she's missing out or been
ripped off...lol

Thank you

Old March 26th 04, 12:28 AM
Stinger

GB,

Your Mom's versacorder comes standard with a C-120 cassette tape, which only
records one hour per side at NORMAL SPEED.

To get the entire 4-hour "Coast-to-Coast AM" show on one side of that
cassette, you'll need to record at 1/4 speed -- which the Versacorder does
very well.

Tell your Mom that there's a little slide switch on the bottom right (just
under the "Pause" tape key) marked "SPEED." Tell her to move it to the
left-side setting, marked "Quarter."

That will give you a full four hours recording on that C-120 cassette that
came with the recorder. She can even flip it over after it's finished, and
record another entire show on the other side, so she'd have eight hours of
C2CAM.

The Versacorder doesn't have the ability to be set to "skip" all
commercials -- in the C2CAM talk format, many of the breaks are "soft"
breaks, which could be anywhere at almost any time. You have no choice but
to record them, because the Versacorder has no idea whether or not it's a
commercial.

However, the longest breaks tend to be "hard" breaks -- for instance, the
news and several commercials and promos at the top of the hour. You CAN
program around them, because you have more than enough "program" memories.
Just set it to start recording at about 5 after the hour (and stop on the
hour) in four consecutive hours (and use the record every day "Day" setting)
and you've trashed 20 minutes of news and commercials every time you record.

One more tip that can get you through an awful lot of "soft-break"
commercials quickly: While you're listening at "quarter" speed, and a
commercial break comes up, switch the "Speed" switch to "Normal" and then
press the "Fast Forward" key while the recording is still playing. It will
begin zipping through commercials 4 times as fast that way, and you can hear
audio cues on when to let go of the "Fast Forward" key.

Happy listening!

-- Stinger

Old March 26th 04, 10:31 AM
GO BEARCATS

To get the entire 4-hour "Coast-to-Coast AM" show on one side of that
cassette, you'll need to record at 1/4 speed -- which the Versacorder does
very well.

yes. I know this.

Tell your Mom that there's a little slide switch on the bottom right (just
under the "Pause" tape key) marked "SPEED." Tell her to move it to the
left-side setting, marked "Quarter."

Yes I know this.

The Versacorder doesn't have the ability to be set to "skip" all
commercials -- in the C2CAM talk format,

It *says* it does though.

While you're listening at "quarter" speed, and a
commercial break comes up, switch the "Speed" switch to "Normal" and then
press the "Fast Forward" key while the recording is still playing.

She can't do this while sleeping.

Thanks Stinger

Old March 26th 04, 01:26 PM
Stinger

[...]

She listens while sleeping?

Old March 27th 04, 12:35 AM
GO BEARCATS

She listens while sleeping?

Come on Stinger, I thought you were above that. She would be taping 'while'
asleep.

But in reference to listening 'while' sleeping, I guess you could say yes even
to that. She listens with her headphones on while she's in bed and wakes up
with the headphones on......so I guess it's how you want to interpret it.

But she was missing the majority of the shows....hence the versa-corder. :-)

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wane Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/RhapsodyMultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old March 27th 04, 03:14 PM
Stinger

GB,

Above what? If I weren't trying to help, I wouldn't have bothered to write
a rather detailed dissertation on how to use the Versacorder to record
C2CAM.

However, your original response didn't make sense. I didn't understand why
you mentioned "she can't do this in her sleep" after I mentioned a PLAYBACK
technique. I was making sure you understood that the "quick fast-forward"
procedure was something for playback only (because obviously, she would use
the "Pause" button if she were awake for recording). Re-read the context of
your original reply.

I know exactly what you mean about falling asleep with a pair of headphones
on, as I've been known to do that as well! You might want to think about
getting her some good wireless headphones for Mother's Day so she won't
tangle herself up with the cord in her sleep!

-- Stinger

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
She listens while sleeping?

Come on Stinger, I thought you were above that. She would be taping

'while'
asleep.

But in reference to listening 'while' sleeping, I guess you could say yes

even
to that. She listens with her headphones on while she's in bed and wakes

up
with the headphones on......so I guess it's how you want to interpret it.

But she was missing the majority of the shows....hence the versa-corder.

:-)

Old March 28th 04, 10:40 AM
GO BEARCATS

Above what? If I weren't trying to help, I wouldn't have bothered to write
a rather detailed dissertation on how to use the Versacorder to record
C2CAM.

My bad Stinger, I must have understood. I hope you accept my apology. :-)

Old March 28th 04, 05:21 PM
Stinger

No problem, GB -- just didn't want you thinking I was trying to be a
smartass, either! I enjoy reading your posts, and hope your Bearcats do
[...]

60 meter mod info needed... Richard Heindel Equipment 0 June 26th 04 04:12 PM
Info needed Scanman Boatanchors 0 January 10th 04 10:44 PM
YEASU 757 info needed Gary CB 2 December 12th 03 02:06 PM
Gotham Antenna info needed Keyboard In The Wilderness Antenna 4 December 5th 03 04:09 PM
Info in mil. receiver needed Tom Lager Boatanchors 10 November 1st 03 03:35 AM