Old March 27th 04, 01:54 AM
Beloved Leader

Default Bush Backs Broadband

Please excuse me for posting a message that actually deals with
shortwave and amateur radio.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/s...907889,00.html

Bush Touts High-Speed Internet Access Plan

Saturday March 27, 2004 12:01 AM

By SCOTT LINDLAW
Associated Press Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - President Bush, hunting for votes in hotly
contested Sun Belt states, said Friday his administration is working
toward wiring homes throughout America with high-speed Internet access
by 2007.

In an outdoor speech here, the president stopped short of promising he
would reach the goal by 2007, saying instead that ``we ought to have''
cheap high-speed access everywhere. Nor did he offer a detailed plan
on how he hoped to achieve it.

But his administration has been working at it behind the scenes. Last
month, the Federal Communication Commission voted to write rules for a
third way to bring high-speed Internet service to homes: through
conventional electric lines, where a homeowner could plug a modem into
an electrical outlet.

Old March 28th 04, 08:05 AM
reasonable doubt

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - President Bush, hunting for votes in hotly
contested Sun Belt states, said Friday his administration is working
toward wiring homes throughout America with high-speed Internet access
by 2007.

Seems rather inconsistent with his current policy though. Since Patriot Act
II peeled through, I see more of a totalitarian agenda from Capitol Hill
that, in good keeping with dictatorship policy would stand to lose by
widespread high-speed internet access. Of course, when you have a population
as stupid as the American populace I suppose it really doesn't matter after
all. I fairly sure that there are some Americans somewhere waving their
flags about this BPL news, as they do for anything the government tells them
to.

Old March 28th 04, 01:52 PM
Dee D. Flint

"reasonable doubt" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Broadband doesn't always mean BPL. You are getting confused here.
Broadband can be via cable modem such as I just signed up for or even via a
wireless system. Do not assume that the term Broadband, when used alone,
means BPL (Broadband over Power Line).

I saw the news clip and BPL was not mentioned, only Broadband.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 28th 04, 02:42 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
[...]

As one of the endangered species of fiscal conservatives, I wonder how
this will be funded? There are large parts of the country that will
require many many miles of fiber to reach one family.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 28th 04, 02:47 PM
Diverd4777

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4609864/

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 5:00 p.m. ET March 26, 2004

ALBUQUERQUE - Reaching back to revive an idea promoted by the man he beat for
the White House, President Bush urged Friday that affordable high-speed
Internet access be available to all Americans by 2007, saying it was essential
to the nation’s economic growth.

Old March 28th 04, 03:10 PM
Frank Dresser

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

As one of the endangered species of fiscal conservatives, I wonder how
this will be funded?

We could always borrow the money. Foriegn banks are just bursting with
American cash, due to our industrial trade imbalance.

There are large parts of the country that will
require many many miles of fiber to reach one family.

- Mike KB3EIA -

If we buy foriegn made fiber cable, we can borrow the money back to pay the
rest of the bills. This could be "self-funding".

Frank Dresser

Old March 28th 04, 03:23 PM
RadioGuy

[...]

Hardly... I see broadband as another step toward Total Information Access...

RG

Old March 28th 04, 04:31 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dee D. Flint wrote:
[...]

The rural areas will be neglected as always. There aren't enough voters to
make a difference there anyway, at least in the politician's eyes.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 28th 04, 04:35 PM
Dee D. Flint

"RadioGuy" wrote in message

[...]

Do not confuse Broadband with BPL. Broadband access can be achieved without
BPL.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 28th 04, 05:10 PM
RadioGuy

Dee D. Flint wrote in message

"RadioGuy" wrote in message

[...]

I don't... I view broadband as large quantities of data accessed in short
periods of time.

RG