Old March 29th 04, 01:13 AM
Michael

Default Tecsun PL-550 ???

Hiya...

Has anyone heard anything about the Tecsun PL-550 yet ??? They are selling
them on ebay now. From what I can see on the ebay auctions, it looks the
radio has a built in antenna tuner. Radiointel has pics of it also, but no
performance info. I'd love to know more about it.

--

Respectfully,

Michael

Location: Northern NJ
Primary Radio: R-75 with full Kiwa mods.
Antennas: 200ft long wire, G5RV
Additional Radios:GE Super Radio III, KA-1101,
KA-1102, Kaiwa KA-989
Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/

Old March 29th 04, 01:23 AM
Corbin Ray

I ordered one last week from Liypn. Assuming that we don't go to war with
the Chinese in the next day or so, I should have one by the end of this
week.

Old March 29th 04, 01:26 AM
Sanjaya

"Michael" wrote...
Hiya...

Has anyone heard anything about the Tecsun PL-550 yet ??? They are selling
them on ebay now. From what I can see on the ebay auctions, it looks the
radio has a built in antenna tuner. Radiointel has pics of it also, but no
performance info. I'd love to know more about it.

I have one.
At the risk of incurring the wrath of others in this forum
I'll say "I love it"
It does have an antenna trimmer, and an switchable
IF filter to eliminate imaging. It also has a 3 setting gain
switch.
I hooked up a 50 foot wire thanks to the help of RHF
and others in this newsgroup and it rocks.
No SSB is the only drawback.
All lettering in Chinese. Liypn has done an English manual
and English lettering diagram.
Ulis Flemming (of radiointel.com) did a nice English lettering diagram as well.
Join the yahoo group, Ulis put the diagram in the files folder
there.

Old March 29th 04, 02:56 AM
Michael

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanx...

I just ordered one from Liypn via ebay. I know I should probably wait until
an English labeled version is available, but I want to have one ASAP.
Getting a new radio to evaluate is so much fun :-) As with most of the
portables I buy, I keep them for a few months and then unload them. The
only portable I had that I regret selling was the Sony 7600g. After
checking out a bunch of other portables I realize now just how good it was.
When I get the PL-550, I want to see how it compares to a Sony7600g .

In the case of the PL-550, it doesn't have SSB, so I'll have to compare for
sensitivity, sound quality and features. I'm willing to bet that it's going
to be a good portable, but it won't be in the same league with the 7600g.
Especially for selectivity. I used to use a 100 ft long wire on my
Sony7600g and it still never overloaded. I have to admit though, I really
want to check out that antenna tuner on the PL-550.

Michael

Old March 29th 04, 10:58 AM
Sanjaya

"Michael" wrote...
[...]

Hi Michael.

Don't worry about the Chinese labels. After using Liypn's English manual,
and picture of the radio with English labels. you'll know the buttons without
having to see any labels.

If you decide to sell your PL-550 let me know :-)