Old March 29th 04, 06:45 PM
JCJ

Default Sangean SG 622 Whip antenna question

I recently received the SG-622 from Amazon.com.

I noticed that when tunning the MW band if I touch the whip antenna
with my hands the reception deteriorates badly. As soon as I stop
touching it, the reception comes back normally.

I own several other radios and when MWing if I touch the whip, it does
not have any effect on the reception on any of my radios.

Question:

Did I get a bad unit, or is this normal in the SG-622?

This is annoying, since the radio is small, you almost have to touch
the antenna. It's a shame because the sound it's great for its size.

jcj

SR3
S-350
DE1102
ICF-S10MK2
Old March 30th 04, 03:22 PM
Caribbean Listener

I have an old Sangean SG-786 analog that I bought about 15 years ago
in Venezuela and I have always notice the same when I tune into medium
wave. If I touch the antenna, the radio drops in sensitivity. I also
notice the opposite on shortwave (when I touch the antenna, reception
improves slightly). This doesn't occurr with my SG-606A, which is a
digital.

Marty
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Old March 30th 04, 09:43 PM
RHF

JCJ,

1. READ - Antenna's for AM/MW Reception:
[ Marc's Technical Pages by Marc Dekenah ]
GOTO= http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/antmwrec.htm
Choosing the Antenna:
The Short-Low Capacitance
The Medium Impedance
Long-Wire & Loop
Low Impedance Antennas

2. With many low cost 'portable' AM/FM/Shortwave Radios.

AM/MW Radio Reception may be improved or degraded by using the
radio's built-in Whip Antenna along with the radio's built-in
Ferrite Rod Antenna.

* Local Reception - Usually using the Whip Antenna by having it
Fully Extended Vertically will provide the 'best' Local Area
AM/MW Radio reception.

* Long Distance (DX) Reception - Usually NOT using the Whip
Antenna by having it fully collapsed and folded down, will
provide the 'best' DXing AM/MW Radio reception when the Radio
is positioned to 'receive' the "Target" AM/MW Radio Station.

FWIW: A small Loop Antenna along with a Lazy Susan can "Greatly
Enhance" the DXing-Ability of most 'portable' AM/MW Radios.

3. AM-FM Listening (Domestic AM & FM Radio DXing)
GOTO= http://www.radioenthusiast.com/am-fm_DX_links.htm
These links are all related to the field of Receiving Long Distance
(DX) AM (or Medium Wave), FM Radio and Television Broadcasts.
The pursuit of Domestic Broadcasters can be a fascinating pastime.
Presented by James Tedford "The Radio Enthusiast"
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = (JCJ) wrote in message
= = = . com...

I recently received the SG-622 from Amazon.com.

I noticed that when tunning the MW band if I touch the whip
antenna with my hands the reception deteriorates badly.

As soon as I stop touching it, the reception comes back normally.

I own several other radios and when MWing if I touch the whip,
it does not have any effect on the reception on any of my radios.

Question:

Did I get a bad unit, or is this normal in the SG-622?

This is annoying, since the radio is small, you almost have
to touch the antenna. It's a shame because the sound it's
great for its size.

jcj

SR3
S-350
DE1102
ICF-S10MK2

..

Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
Antenna Question Chris CB 0 August 5th 04 06:39 PM
Antenna wire question. bugrunner Shortwave 7 March 5th 04 02:02 AM
Realistic dx 160 antenna question? DJboutit Shortwave 3 March 2nd 04 05:14 AM
Help Please! Extremely Poor Reception In Turkey Rich Shortwave 12 December 30th 03 10:43 PM