Old April 3rd 04, 05:59 PM
Philip Campbell

Default Broadcast Band

I am new to the world of SWL. I have a Sangean ATS-505. When I am tuning
in Sw mode, say on 49meters, the freq. in that range is from 5,900 to
6,200Mhz. The ATS505 will display "broadcast band". What are the freqs
between the bands? The next one up is 41meters which covers 7,100 -
7,350Mhz. What are the freqs from 6201 thru 6,999?

What does the term meters mean?

thanks

Old April 3rd 04, 10:00 PM
WG

The term Meters means the wave length of the frequency you are on. Most of
the better receivers don't say, "broadcast band" because the entire
short-wave band is a broadcast band. It is put on the radio to make it look
nice but serves no real use. The radio frequencies are sold to privet users
the same as in the VHF and UHF bands so you can get privet HF Fax
transmissions, Ship to Shore radio calls, Long Range Air Traffic Control and
so on. Much of the stuff on the short-wave bands is in Single Side Band,
(SSB), Radio Teletype, (RTTY) or high speed Morse Code, (CW)

Old April 3rd 04, 10:06 PM
Al Patrick

http://www.alfalima.net/30mhz.htm

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/swlguide/

http://www.med.govt.nz/rsm/planning/hf.html

http://www.hamuniverse.com/hf.html

I think the above links will help to explain your question and much,
much more.

Al

=============================

Old April 4th 04, 07:31 AM
starman

WG wrote:

Most of the better receivers don't say, "broadcast band" because the entire short-wave band is a broadcast band.

That's true in a general or technical sense but the international
stations are considered to be the real 'broadcasters' on shortwave,
since they are targeting thousands or millions of listeners. Shortwave
users such as ham's and utilities (aircraft, military) are expecting a
much smaller number of listeners. Sometimes just one.

FM Broadcast band as we know it going away? Robert Hovland Broadcasting 36 October 9th 13 07:36 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FM Broadcast Band station list? Albert Dx 6 June 20th 04 11:49 PM
FM Broadcast Band station list? Albert Dx 0 June 20th 04 03:14 PM