Old April 7th 04, 05:14 AM
LW

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote ...

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Right here, dude:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3450.html

Excellent call, Bro. Lawrence. Fannnnn-tastic radio. There's been
rumors of a 706 PRO with color display but that was a year or 2 ago.

Add a good external speaker and the receive audio improves IMMENSELY.
Slightly increase the opening in the rubber "gasket" over the mic
element, and transmit audio gets a tremendous improvement, also.
Slightly, I said. Make it 1/16" total diameter. That's all.

And http://www.mods.dk has some .. ahem .. interesting .. ahem ..
revisions you can make to the radio. (Proceed at YOUR OWN risk.)
Old April 8th 04, 12:44 AM
Thibideaux

Well, thanks for the suggestions, guys. I already have the 245XLT and the
VX-7R and, at this point, I think I am sold on the IC-706 for the final
addition to my portable radio package. I will be selling my R75 and R71 and
my Kenwood 830 real soon and replacing them with the 706 and the backpack
rig - very nice setup. Thanks!

om...