Old April 15th 04, 05:12 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Howard wrote:

(edited for brevity)

I don't
fully buy into it as a presidential responsibility. To my way of
thinking, it's a decision by the corporations who take advantage of
lower labor costs and not having to pay the same taxes as they do
here. Now, if we want a better business environment in terms of
taxation, and different labor laws, we need to look at our State and
Federal Legislators, not the President.

I could buy into that, were it not for OPIC.
I generally believe Slick Willie's behavior,
to some extent, set the standard for so many
who were overeager to emulate him, and that
includes corporate malfeasance. But, as to
the taxing and regulating functions of the
individual states, certainly much could be done
in the way of gainful reform.

Good BBQ lately - absolutely! I slow cooked a brisket over a mix of
pecan and alder woods just last weekend; it was delicious!

Catch ya later dude,
Howard

Brisket is the most underrated cut for barbecuing.
Call me conventional, but I tend to enjoy apple
smoked brisket -- *hot* smoked, of course, so it's
ready to eat (whether you drown it in sauce or leave
it dry with a vinegar and dry rub, or hot sauce, that's
good stuff!)

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD
Burnsville, Minnesota
Old April 15th 04, 06:26 PM
RHF

= = = Howard wrote in message
= = = . ..

- - - - - S N I P - - - - -

Steve,
The only point I'd debate with you is the exporting of jobs - not that
it didn't happen during the Clinton administration - rather, I don't
fully buy into it as a presidential responsibility. To my way of
thinking, it's a decision by the corporations who take advantage of
lower labor costs and not having to pay the same taxes as they do
here. Now, if we want a better business environment in terms of
taxation, and different labor laws,

we need to look at our State and Federal Legislators, not the President.

HOWARD,

On this I would agree.

EXAMPLE: Much of the natural synergy of having transportation
and warehousing in the SF Bay Area due to the local ports and
railroads. Has been disrupted by the 'negative' California
Business Environment and the 'high' Business Inventory Taxes here.
So these form "Good Blue Collar Jobs" have moved to Nevada, Arizona,
Oregon and Utah where Business is Welcomed with a better environment
and lower taxes.

And what do the cities and counties do with the Warehouses,
turn them into Lofts for Living space with out creating a
Job Base for the common man to earn a living and live.

California's problem up until the recall of Governor Davis has
been one party control of the Office of Governor and both houses
of the State Legislature. Tax and Spend without end....

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..

Old April 15th 04, 08:08 PM
Mike Terry

Please explain the connection with shortwave radio, thanks.

Old April 15th 04, 08:16 PM
tlfort

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:08:57 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Terry"
wrote:

Please explain the connection with shortwave radio, thanks.

There was this cooking show that I heard on the shortwave......

I need some followup...Thanks for understanding Mike

Tracy

Old April 15th 04, 08:19 PM
N8KDV

Mike Terry wrote:

Please explain the connection with shortwave radio, thanks.

Shortwave radio is propagated through the air. or ether, if you prefer.

It touches everything, including politicians.

There's your connection.

Old April 15th 04, 11:44 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Tracy Fort" wrote

| Why not send up the recipe Steve?
|
| Tracy

Clean and salt the brisket, rub with your favorite
seasoning (I like to use salt, garlic, onion, crushed
black pepper, and a little Tabasco in the beginning,
and Pickapeppa Jamaican hot sauce near the end).

Place aforementioned brisket in your smoker / cooker,
and smoke slowly 'til the internal temperature is 140, and
for 3 hours thereafter on low heat.

BTW, Pickapeppa may be an acquired taste, and
I also like to use a couple of dashes of bourbon on
the outside of the brisket.

Another great way to go is to wrap the entire brisket
with bacon (Wright's, sold at Sam's Club, is one of
the finest bacons in the US, or you can use your local
locker plant bacon if you can find some, or Cudahy's
Apple Wood Smoked bacon from Milwaukee), and
smoke slowly. "nail" the bacon on with toothpicks.

Sheesh, I'm getting hungry...

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

---

Old April 15th 04, 11:56 PM
hehe

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:44:21 GMT, "Stephen M.H. Lawrence"
wrote:

"Tracy Fort" wrote

| Why not send up the recipe Steve?
|
| Tracy

Clean and salt the brisket, rub with your favorite
seasoning (I like to use salt, garlic, onion, crushed
black pepper, and a little Tabasco in the beginning,
and Pickapeppa Jamaican hot sauce near the end).

Place aforementioned brisket in your smoker / cooker,
and smoke slowly 'til the internal temperature is 140, and
for 3 hours thereafter on low heat.

BTW, Pickapeppa may be an acquired taste, and
I also like to use a couple of dashes of bourbon on
the outside of the brisket.

Another great way to go is to wrap the entire brisket
with bacon (Wright's, sold at Sam's Club, is one of
the finest bacons in the US, or you can use your local
locker plant bacon if you can find some, or Cudahy's
Apple Wood Smoked bacon from Milwaukee), and
smoke slowly. "nail" the bacon on with toothpicks.

Sheesh, I'm getting hungry...

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

---

Hmmmm...sounds better than sex Steve!

Tracy
Old April 16th 04, 01:40 AM
Howard

On 15 Apr 2004 09:12:02 -0700, (Stephen M.H.
Lawrence) wrote:

Howard wrote:

[...]

Hmm, looks like I'll have to get some apple and another brisket and
give it a go. Have used apple before, but only with fish. Now for
the sake of keeping inline with the newsgroup category - I do have a
portable SW radio that I listen to while tending to the smoker (no
kidding, I really do!).

have a good one Steve,
Howard
Old April 17th 04, 06:06 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"hehe" [email protected] wrote

| Hmmmm...sounds better than sex Steve!
|

| Tracy

It's pretty doggoned good!
My wife has this recipe where she wraps
a chicken in bacon - whew, I'm a lucky guy.

(but the cooking isn't better than sex, heh heh heh)

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

---