Old May 1st 04, 01:11 AM
Al Bolton

Default Panasonic RF-4800 info wanted for repair.

Hi all,
I'm attempting to fix a (National) Panasonic RF-4800 receiver for an old
chap here. It is dead on the 2nd short-wave band set although it works OK on
MF/LF and FM now. Seems like the local oscillator(s) isn't working which
isn't too difficult
normally BUT unfortunately, he allowed the internal batteries to leak
everywhere, so it could be a long job getting it right again. I don't mind
doing this but I have absolutely NO info on the set, so a schematic or
manual would be VERY welcome! Most happy to pay for a photocopy. The
RF-4900/DR-49 set is very similar and a schematic or manual from this set
would be OK as well.

Cheers,
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/al.bolton Coming soon!

Old May 1st 04, 01:57 AM
starman

Al Bolton wrote:

Hi all,
I'm attempting to fix a (National) Panasonic RF-4800 receiver for an old
chap here. It is dead on the 2nd short-wave band set although it works OK on
MF/LF and FM now. Seems like the local oscillator(s) isn't working which
isn't too difficult
normally BUT unfortunately, he allowed the internal batteries to leak
everywhere, so it could be a long job getting it right again. I don't mind
doing this but I have absolutely NO info on the set, so a schematic or
manual would be VERY welcome! Most happy to pay for a photocopy. The
RF-4900/DR-49 set is very similar and a schematic or manual from this set
would be OK as well.

Try cleaning the sliding bandswitch with a good spray cleaner like
'DeOxIt'.

Old May 1st 04, 02:14 AM
Al Bolton

I wish it were that easy....the switch is fine, and I'm aware of the problem
with it wearing out. No, it's an oscillator problem somewhere. Thanks for
the suggestion anyway.
Al

Old May 2nd 04, 07:44 AM
starman

Al Bolton wrote:

I wish it were that easy....the switch is fine, and I'm aware of the problem
with it wearing out. No, it's an oscillator problem somewhere. Thanks for
the suggestion anyway.
Al

Do you have normal DC operating voltages on the oscillator for that
band? I guess it might be hard to tell without the schematic. I used to
have the service manual for the RF-4900 but I sold it with the radio.
I've been trying to think where you could find the schematic on the Net.

Old May 2nd 04, 05:31 PM
elg110254

Al, try www.radiolabs.com/repair/panasonic.html for help in restoring your
RF-4800 to its past glory. Have an RF-2900 which needs to be refurbished, and
will eventually have these techs work their magic.

Old May 3rd 04, 09:01 PM
Al Bolton

"Sorry, we are no longer able to repair Panasonic radios" is written in a
prominent place on this Web site!

I'm afraid that the owner could never afford $100 plus shipping costs to the
USA from the UK, even if they still repaired these sets. It's up to me to do
it for him for free. Thanks for the thought though!

Al