Old May 1st 04, 09:24 PM
N8KDV

Default Amateur License Statistics

I was looking up this info for another individual and as long as I have
it at hand I figured I'd post it here as well.

There are 637,404 licensed amateurs in the USA, the licences break down
this way:

Extra 14.61 %

Advanced 12.95 %

General 20.84 %

Tech Plus 12.16 %

Technician 33.85 %

Novice 5.59 %

No new Novice, Technician Plus, or Advanced Class amateur service
operator licenses will be issued. These licenses, however, may be
modified or renewed. Technician Plus class operator licenses will be
converted to Technician Class licenses if renewed. Technician Plus class
operator licenses will also be
converted to Technician Class when modified to show a vanity call sign.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old May 26th 04, 10:02 PM
Doug

Where did you get those figures?

They seem a little low.
Last I read, there were over 730,000 licenses.
About 20,000 or so are club, etc licenses.
So there are over 700,000 licensed Amateurs in the USA.

Doug

Old May 26th 04, 10:48 PM
dxAce

wrote:

I was looking up this info for another individual and as long as I have
it at hand I figured I'd post it here as well.

There are 637,404 licensed amateurs in the USA, the licences break down
this way:

Extra 14.61 %

Advanced 12.95 %

General 20.84 %

Tech Plus 12.16 %

Technician 33.85 %

Novice 5.59 %

No new Novice, Technician Plus, or Advanced Class amateur service
operator licenses will be issued. These licenses, however, may be
modified or renewed. Technician Plus class operator licenses will be
converted to Technician Class licenses if renewed. Technician Plus class
operator licenses will also be
converted to Technician Class when modified to show a vanity call sign.

I got those statistics via:

http://www.qrz.com/

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
No new Novice, Technician Plus, or Advanced Class amateur service
operator licenses will be issued. These licenses, however, may be
modified or renewed. Technician Plus class operator licenses will be
converted to Technician Class licenses if renewed. Technician Plus

class
operator licenses will also be
converted to Technician Class when modified to show a vanity call sign.

I think this is in error. Technician Plus licensees are already eligible
for a General Class license simply for the asking, since the Technician Plus
license (formerly the coded Technician license, was renamed to Technician
Plus to differentiate it from the No-Code Technician license, now called
simply Technician Class) is/was obtained by taking the written requirements
for a General Class license, while retaining the code requirement for only a
Novice Class license (5WPM). Under current rules, General Class only
requires 5WPM, so the old Technician Plus is basically grandfathered. They
have only to show that they had their Technician license before the No-Code
Technician licenses began being issued.

Old May 26th 04, 11:32 PM
dxAce

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
[...]

I'm not 100% sure of that, as I recall I may have received the part about the
license upgrades directly from the FCC, but I don't remember.

I'll have to go look it up again.

Old May 26th 04, 11:52 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
[...]

Here is some info from ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/

Old May 27th 04, 01:11 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve, but that information is dated. I went in on April 18, 2000
and got my General. All I had to do was prove that I was a Tech Plus
licensee who had passed the 5WPM code test (which I did, in 1983). Lot of
new General's were born on 4/15/00.. The article you posted to was right in
one way... they didn't just automatically send out General tickets to every
Tech Plus.. you actually had to go to your local VEC and fill out the
paperwork, and offer proof of meeting the code requirement.

Old May 27th 04, 02:50 AM
dxAce

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
[...]

Yep.

But let me say this, everyone should have had to pass the 13 WPM code test for
General...

Even deaf people can, and could, pass the test.

Old May 27th 04, 03:01 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"dxAce" wrote in message
Thanks Steve, but that information is dated. I went in on April 18,

2000
and got my General. All I had to do was prove that I was a Tech Plus
licensee who had passed the 5WPM code test (which I did, in 1983). Lot

of
new General's were born on 4/15/00.. The article you posted to was right

in
one way... they didn't just automatically send out General tickets to

every
Tech Plus.. you actually had to go to your local VEC and fill out the
paperwork, and offer proof of meeting the code requirement.

Yep.

But let me say this, everyone should have had to pass the 13 WPM code test

for
General...

Even deaf people can, and could, pass the test.

My problem was/is that I process all languages the same way.. I translate
them into English (in my head) before I can 'read' them. This works more or
less for Spanish, but really bytes for Korean (two translations, one from
the Hangul alphabet to the Latin one, then from Korean into English) and
REALLY slows me down on code..

Old May 27th 04, 03:13 AM
dxAce

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
[...]

I always had trouble trying to relate everything to the Algonquin language, or
it's derivatives...

But that never stopped me.