Old May 3rd 04, 06:21 AM
GO BEARCATS

Default Reply From Ed Bolton (Amos-n-Andy)

This is part of an email I got from Ed actually yrsterday, just got around to
it today. I had sent him an envelope of some of the thread on his show, mainly
Frank and myself. Here it is.

************

Amos n Andy is a very-well-planned program. Nothing on today's radio or
television or movies can compare with it in quality. In fact, it laid the
foundation for all radio and television drama to follow, including the soap
operas that are on TV today.
I got your thick letter today, with printouts of the correspondence on your
newsgroup.
The one person who responded to your emails about my re-creations of Amos n
Andy is simply throwing stones. It's so easy just to throw stones! He doesn't
realize how much time and effort goes into each and every episode I re-create.
He has NO IDEA how much time and work I put into each and every episode.
I forgive this person's total ignorance and just consider the source.
I don't blame him for not appreciating the programs, because he wasn't around
when the original programs were on.
The very best test is to ask someone who WAS around then, and listened to them
on NBC each night when they were on NBC at 7 o'clock. That person --- one who
used to listen to the original programs --- will tell you himself or herself if
my re-creations are "right on the mark" or not, because they'll remember how
the originals sounded.
I can tell you that the people of that age who have written to me tell me
exactly THAT! They say it's an EXACT DUPLICATE!
True, my programs aren't the originals, but that's only because they don't
EXIST!!! (What I'm doing is the only game in town!)
As far as his suggestion that I should give the scripts to a museum is
concerned, that makes no sense whatsoever, because they're already in the
Library Of Congress!
ANYone can get copies of the scripts, but NO one can re-enact them as
authentically as I can.
Ed

Old May 3rd 04, 07:13 AM
GO BEARCATS

Hey guys, I'll add this part of the email, it IS related to shortwave and I
didn't know about this, but am looking forward to hearing it. :-)

It's on every Thursday evening at 6:30 PM on the same frequency as Amos 'n'
Andy: 7415.
The program contains music from the past: 1925 to around 1939 and sometimes one
or two years past that, but not very often.
This is the music I grew up with (I'll be 73 on may 15th).
************end of his email *************

I'm kind of curious to hear this, mainly because I've never actually heard
music from back then, or at least knowingly. Might bring back some memories to
some of the old timers in here, if there are any old enough in here to
remember. {?}

Lets play a game :-) Does anyone in here notice a 'difference' in my sig? Hmmm.
Haven't got it yet though, but I will. Muahahahahaha!!!

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 3rd 04, 08:11 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message

[snip]

The one person who responded to your emails about my re-creations of Amos

Andy is simply throwing stones. It's so easy just to throw stones! He

doesn't
realize how much time and effort goes into each and every episode I

re-create.
He has NO IDEA how much time and work I put into each and every episode.
I forgive this person's total ignorance and just consider the source.
I don't blame him for not appreciating the programs, because he wasn't

around
when the original programs were on.

I don't know if Ed considers me the stone thrower, but I think I can
appriciate the difficulty in his recreations. I made a nod in that
direction when I suggested other difficult hobbys such as building an
airplane or learning languages.

The very best test is to ask someone who WAS around then, and listened to

them
on NBC each night when they were on NBC at 7 o'clock. That person --- one

who
used to listen to the original programs --- will tell you himself or

herself if
my re-creations are "right on the mark" or not, because they'll remember

how
the originals sounded.

Shortwave radio may not be best way to reach the people who can fully
appricate the recreations. The percentage of SWLs who have heard the
original shows is small, and there aren't many SWLs, anyway. Most of us are
following international broadcasting, DXing, hams, utilities and kook radio.

There is an active market for old time radio. Some of the old time radio
hobbyists have been able to turn their hobbys into businesses. Getting a
hobby-business going has never been easier. There's several internet
vendors and a newgroup for old time radio. Any of the oldtime radio vendors
could air their material on SW, but I don't think any of them think it's
worthwhile.

I stumbled across a history of the Amos 'n' Andy show:

http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/aa.html

I can tell you that the people of that age who have written to me tell me
exactly THAT! They say it's an EXACT DUPLICATE!
True, my programs aren't the originals, but that's only because they don't
EXIST!!! (What I'm doing is the only game in town!)
As far as his suggestion that I should give the scripts to a museum is
concerned, that makes no sense whatsoever, because they're already in the
Library Of Congress!

I had a misconception. I thought the scripts were originals.

Old May 4th 04, 05:26 AM
GO BEARCATS

I don't know if Ed considers me the stone thrower, but I think I can
appriciate the difficulty in his recreations.

I know you can Frank, I've told him that and he read the entire thread, it cost
me an arm to ship it. ;-)

Thanks for that link, I just sent it to Ed and I'm going to read it also.

This is part of what he sent me today.
*************************************

The very first 15-minute-long Amos n Andy programs that were first broadcast
from March 19th, 1928 until August 18th, 1929 were distributed on 78 rpm radio
transcriptions --- meaning records (LP's hadn't yet been invented) --- to
subscribing radio stations all over the country. About 50 or so of these
recordings still exist, but they're scratchy and hard to listen to. (A record
auction company has some of them available right now, starting with a $100 bid
for each record!)
Then, starting with August 19th, 1929, they broadcast from a Chicago radio
station --- WMAQ --- over NBC radio stations on the NBC radio network for
immediate broadcast. They were aired nightly: once for the east coast and once
for the west coast, to adjust for the different time-zones.
The scripts can be purchased from the Library Of Congress on microfilm by
anyone; however, I'm the only one who can re-create all the voices and make
them sound exactly as they originally sounded.
********************************

I've invited him to RRS, but I don't know if he knows about usenet, he never
answered that question, I'd kinda be afraid some in here would yell and flame
him, and he's too nice a guy for that.

So it'd maybe be better if he didn't...lol. I can handle it, but I don't know
if he could.

Old May 4th 04, 07:07 AM
GO BEARCATS

Hey Frank, that's a 'very' good link describing EVERYTHING about that show, I'm
going to copy and paste a little part of it here and tell me if you or someone
else in here knows what the 'tune' is they're talking about or if they have a
sound byte of it because I don't think Ed plays it.

I've also forwarded that link and this same question to him, so hopefully I'll
get to hear this 'perfect song.'

The only new addition to the format would be a theme song: after much
discussion, WMAQ musical director Joseph Gallicchio selected a plaintive,
yearning melody from Joseph C. Briell's score for the film "Birth Of A Nation."
Gallicchio's small string orchestra would play this song at the open and close
of every episode -- and would make "The Perfect Song" one of America's most
familiar melodies.

Old May 4th 04, 05:12 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
Hey Frank, that's a 'very' good link describing EVERYTHING about that

show, I'm
going to copy and paste a little part of it here and tell me if you or

someone
else in here knows what the 'tune' is they're talking about or if they

have a
sound byte of it because I don't think Ed plays it.

I've also forwarded that link and this same question to him, so hopefully

I'll
get to hear this 'perfect song.'

The song brings up the racial insensititivity issue, though. It's debatable
if Amos 'n' Andy was racially insensitive, but there's no doubt that the
source of the music, the movie "Birth of a Nation" was racially insensitive.

It occours to me that Ed Bolton has done alot of research and may already
have all the source material that the author of the webpage used. Ed may be
able to write his own article which is at least as informative as that one.
If so, somebody who has an old time radio website may be happy to put it up.
And at the bottom of the article it might say something like:

"Ed Bolton is the maker of faithful recreations of the earliest Amos 'n'
Andy episodes. Recordings of these recreations can be heard on WBCQ and are
available at (somethingwhatever).com".

Frank Dresser

Old May 4th 04, 05:12 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message

I've invited him to RRS, but I don't know if he knows about usenet, he

never
answered that question, I'd kinda be afraid some in here would yell and

flame
him, and he's too nice a guy for that.

So it'd maybe be better if he didn't...lol. I can handle it, but I don't

know
if he could.

If he posts here, I'm sure somebody would suggest he use the Amos 'n' Andy
characters to provide a running commentary to shortwave shows such as those
from Alex Jones, Brother Stair and James Lloyd. Like Mystery Science
Theater!

rec.radio.oldtime would probably be closer to his intended audience.

Frank Dresser

Old May 5th 04, 07:57 AM
GO BEARCATS

It occours to me that Ed Bolton has done alot of research and may already
have all the source material that the author of the webpage used

Yeah, you're right. He did already know about the link, that girl or guy who
wrote it - wrote HIM and told him what a great job he does.

Ed is a 'throwback', he doesn't like the way the world has changed for the bad
and it is his way of escaping. I know he wouldn't be upset for me saying that
for him because it is the truth.

"Ed Bolton is the maker of faithful recreations of the earliest Amos 'n'
Andy episodes. Recordings of these recreations can be heard on WBCQ and are
available at (somethingwhatever).com".

I'll send that ideaa his way Frank, thanks. BTW, I'll be getting a big envelope
from him here shortly with all kinds of goodies in it. When I do, I'll share
with you all.

Old May 6th 04, 02:22 AM
JJ

GO BEARCATS wrote:

It's on every Thursday evening at 6:30 PM on the same frequency as Amos 'n'
Andy: 7415.

EST, CST, PST, Eastern War Time, Moscow Time, Coordinated Universal
Time? Which?

Old May 6th 04, 12:45 PM
GO BEARCATS

It's on every Thursday evening at 6:30 PM on the same frequency as Amos 'n'
Andy: 7415.

EST, CST, PST, Eastern War Time, Moscow Time, Coordinated Universal
Time? Which?

Sorry JJ, I guess I assumed, you know? I've posted it in here many a time since
I mentioned it first. My bad.

For me, it's 0400UCT (midnight) EDST on 7.415(WBCQ.) Pretty good preacher (from
what I've heard a little ) right after 'Amos-n-Andy' on the same freq. within
seconds after Ed's last words.

I don't know how good, he could be a quack, but the beginning of the preachers
show 'sounds' ominous with the voice and all, I should listen a little more to
see.

But I usually hit 60 meters or the BCB after that.

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Email from Ed Bolton (Amos-n-Andy) GO BEARCATS Shortwave 4 April 29th 04 06:24 AM
7415AM Amos and Andy!! Eddie Haskel Shortwave 0 February 11th 04 05:15 AM
Freeband & Ham Scott (Unit 69) CB 5 November 11th 03 04:05 PM
RRS - Stupid Reply BlabittyBlahBlah Shortwave 29 October 14th 03 02:04 PM
BPL Reply Comments Carl R. Stevenson Policy 0 August 20th 03 08:15 PM