Old May 7th 04, 06:54 PM
Frank Dresser

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Consumer's Union tests alkaline batteries ever few years, and their
most recent tests say "buy by price" - they found no meaningful
differences in length of life from Duracell/Eveready all the way down
through "Rite-Aid" brand and the like. They seem to have become a
homogenized technology, like color TV - one is generally as good as
another (it was NOT that way 15 years ago with batteries, though). I
started taking a chance on "generics" again about 2 years ago, and have
been pleased with the length of life vis-a-vis Duracell or Eveready.
But the generics are probably made by one or the other of the "big
boys", anyway.

Tony

That makes sense. Alkaline batteries have been made for over 40 years, and
all the real important patents have probably run out. My biggest concern
with the bargain basement batteries is leakage. Some of them just don't
seem as well constructed.

Frank Dresser

Old May 7th 04, 07:03 PM
el lector se guarda

Well I had a set of Ralphs (Grocery Store) D-cells in a
Flashlight/Siren/Radio unit in the trunk of the car for probably 2 years and
thought better check them -- deader than a door nail but no leakage

Your leakage may vary (:-)

--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

Old May 10th 04, 06:03 AM
R8500

Subject: RayOVAC Batteries...............
From: ercial (Duncan Ross)
Date: 5/8/2004 1:06 PM Mountain Standard Time
From: "Frank Dresser"

Date: 07-May-2004 18:54 GMT Daylight Time

[...]

Could be a smart point although bizarrely the only batteries I've ever seen
leak were duracells (twice!).

Strangely enough, Duracells are the only alkaline batteries I've had leakage
problems with also.

For what it's worth, I've recently bought several 48 packs of Panasonic AA
alkalines from a seller on eBay, and I swear that the Panasonics outlast either
Duracell or Energizer batteries in both my handheld scanners and CB walkie
talkies. I don't know if Panasonic makes any other size batteries besides AA,
but at $15.00 for 48 AA cells (including shipping), I'd say it's worth checking
eBay from time to time if you're looking for reliable and inexpensive alkaline
batteries.

73,
David

Old May 10th 04, 06:23 AM
GO BEARCATS

Where did you buy a pack of 16 alkaline batteries for $3.87?

Oh crap, do I have to admit this? I NEVER go to this place, but I was on the
hunt in the middle of the night looking for a replacement bulb to my 6 Dcell
mag-lite and my last stop of the four places I went to was "Wal-Mart."
(FWIW-they didn't have it.)

On the way out by the checkout line I saw a big display with those mentioned
batteries. For the good of the country, don't go to Wal-Mart. ;-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 10th 04, 06:32 PM
m II

GO BEARCATS wrote:

On the way out by the checkout line I saw a big display with those mentioned
batteries. For the good of the country, don't go to Wal-Mart. ;-)

On my last visit to a local Wal Mart I walked down to the central area,
where the electronics stuff is displayed. Half way there, a young
employee was coming the other way, pushing a cart with bags of
snack/junk food on it. A container of doughnuts fell off the cart.
Instead of picking it up, the kid started kicking it towards his
destination, which was a display stand at the coner of the isles.

I haven't been back since.

mike