Old May 8th 04, 12:55 AM
Mike Terry

Default A long wave goodbye to the BBC?

Telegraph.co.uk - London,England,UK
.... publishes a lengthy document on radio abroad - mainly concentrating
on how to obtain decent signals from the BBC World Service on short wave
- but it contains ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...2004/05/08/pbb
c08.xml&sSheet=/property/2004/05/08/ixpmain01.html

Old May 8th 04, 02:38 PM
David

It comes in real good on my XM and Sirius.

Old May 8th 04, 06:39 PM
uncle arnie

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:55 pm -0600 UTC, Mike Terry
posted: %MM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...rty/2004/05/08

pbb
c08.xml&sSheet=/property/2004/05/08/ixpmain01.html

This is only loss of longwave to Europe.**Plenty*of*SW*freq*avail.**I*don't
know that I've heard of much longwave reception of BBC outside of Europe.
No go with ICOM R-75 in the middle of the North American Continent.
--
-UA
Old May 9th 04, 03:37 AM
Dave Holford

uncle arnie wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:55 pm -0600 UTC, Mike Terry
posted: %MM

Telegraph.co.uk - London,England,UK
... publishes a lengthy document on radio abroad - mainly concentrating
on how to obtain decent signals from the BBC World Service on short wave
- but it contains ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...rty/2004/05/08

pbb
c08.xml&sSheet=/property/2004/05/08/ixpmain01.html

This is only loss of longwave to Europe. Plenty of SW freq avail. I don't
know that I've heard of much longwave reception of BBC outside of Europe.
No go with ICOM R-75 in the middle of the North American Continent.
--
-UA

Not much luck with the BBC, some relatively weak signals late in the
evening; however Allouis on 162kHz has been armchair quality several
evenings lately, with 216 almost as strong but with NDB QRM making it
diffcult to copy.

Using a Kenwood TS-850 and 160M sloper.

Fun to listen once in a while but hardly reliable here, much more
reliable on the East Coast when I get the chance.

Dave
45N 75W
Old May 9th 04, 04:13 AM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 08 May 2004 08:37 pm -0600 UTC, Dave Holford
posted: %MM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=

property/2004/05/08
pbb
c08.xml&sSheet=/property/2004/05/08/ixpmain01.html

This is only loss of longwave to Europe. Plenty of SW freq avail. I
don't know that I've heard of much longwave reception of BBC outside of
Europe. No go with ICOM R-75 in the middle of the North American
Continent. --
-UA

Not much luck with the BBC, some relatively weak signals late in the
evening; however Allouis on 162kHz has been armchair quality several
evenings lately, with 216 almost as strong but with NDB QRM making it
diffcult to copy.

Using a Kenwood TS-850 and 160M sloper.

Fun to listen once in a while but hardly reliable here, much more
reliable on the East Coast when I get the chance.

Dave
45N 75W

I'm going to give it a go. Times?
52N 102W
220m random wire w/ Icom R-75

--
-UA

Old May 9th 04, 07:48 PM
Charles Hobbs

Mike Terry wrote:
Telegraph.co.uk - London,England,UK
... publishes a lengthy document on radio abroad - mainly concentrating
on how to obtain decent signals from the BBC World Service on short wave
- but it contains ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...2004/05/08/pbb
c08.xml&sSheet=/property/2004/05/08/ixpmain01.html

I don't know about longwave, but when I was in Paris a few years ago,
you could pick up the World Service on 648 MW. The signal was ok, not
exactly booming in, but you could listen to the news....

Of course both LW and MW are highly subsceptible to local interference
(electrical appliances, computers, etc) so your mileage may vary....

Old May 10th 04, 01:27 AM
oan

I don't know about longwave, but when I was in Paris a few years ago,
you could pick up the World Service on 648 MW. The signal was ok, not
exactly booming in, but you could listen to the news....

Of course both LW and MW are highly subsceptible to local interference
(electrical appliances, computers, etc) so your mileage may vary....

I live in Istanbul and i can listen to BBC world service very clear on
1323 kHz at evenings and nihgts
Old May 10th 04, 03:42 AM
Phil Wheeler

Re Istanbul: Thanks for that. I will be in that part of the world in a
few days and wondered what I would be able to hear in the evenings and
at night.

Phil