RadioBanter

-   -   VOA Gone? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42468-voa-gone.html)

Pete & Renee Davis May 10th 04 02:09 AM

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Yep. I realized that about 10 seconds after I hit the Send button. *Blush*
pAny one else got a Radio Shack SW100?
pPete Davis
pJohn Doty wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITESorry, mine's a Sony ICF-SW100: a completely different
radio!
pPete & Renee Davis wrote:
br Hello John,
br
br I just received an SW100 last week that I won on ebay. It's in great
br shape and I'm really enjoying it. The analog slide rule tuning with
br speed and fine tuning knobs are more fun to use for SW and MW band
br scanning than the digital buttons on my Degen 1102, even though the
br scale on my SW100 seems to be about a 1/4 inch low. The radio itself
is
br certainly not as portable, but the speaker quality is easier to listen
br to than the small Degen speaker, too.
br
br Looking around on the internet, I haven't been able to locate a whole
br lot of information about this radio. I posted a query on the Radio
Shack
br group list but haven't heard anything yet. If you or anyone else
on the
br list can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate your input.
br
br What are other users' impressions of this radio?
br
br When were they sold by Radio Shack?
br
br What were they thinking when they added the "direction finder"?
br
br Does anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the users manual?
br
br Has anyone come up with any mods?
br
br Looking forward to some learning more from the list.
br
br Pete Davis
br
br
br John Doty wrote:
br
br starman wrote:
br
br Hey John, where have you been hiding?
br
br Moved to Colorado. Learning to breathe at 8500 feet :-)
br
br I miss your contributions here.
br I'm still trying to keep things on topic but it's getting really
br trying.
br You can see what happened just with this thread. I feel sorry
for the
br OP. Do you hang out on any other groups for your shortwave 'fix'?
br
br Not getting enough of a fix right now. Haven't gotten a good antenna
up
br yet. Site is real quiet: reception outside with the SW100 is great.
But
br the R8 doesn't work so well in the gadget-laden house with a makeshift
br antenna.
br
br -jpd
br/blockquote
/html

Phil Wheeler May 10th 04 03:49 AM

Look he

http://www.radioshack.com/ProdSuppor...D=3152&T=h tm

The files there are dated 1995.

Phil

Pete & Renee Davis wrote:

Hello John,

[...]

Pete Davis

John Doty wrote:

starman wrote:

Hey John, where have you been hiding?

Moved to Colorado. Learning to breathe at 8500 feet :-)

I miss your contributions here.
I'm still trying to keep things on topic but it's getting really

trying.
You can see what happened just with this thread. I feel sorry for the
OP. Do you hang out on any other groups for your shortwave 'fix'?

Not getting enough of a fix right now. Haven't gotten a good antenna up
yet. Site is real quiet: reception outside with the SW100 is great. But
the R8 doesn't work so well in the gadget-laden house with a makeshift
antenna.

-jpd

starman May 10th 04 09:19 AM

John Doty wrote:

starman wrote:

Hey John, where have you been hiding?

Moved to Colorado. Learning to breathe at 8500 feet :-)

I miss your contributions here.
I'm still trying to keep things on topic but it's getting really trying.
You can see what happened just with this thread. I feel sorry for the
OP. Do you hang out on any other groups for your shortwave 'fix'?

Not getting enough of a fix right now. Haven't gotten a good antenna up
yet. Site is real quiet: reception outside with the SW100 is great. But
the R8 doesn't work so well in the gadget-laden house with a makeshift
antenna.

-jpd

Let us know what reception is like out there when you get a good antenna
up for the R8. I think you know how to make a low noise antenna. :-)

WShoots1 May 10th 04 01:05 PM

I figure I get many signals after they have skipped around the world. Too, the
beamed radiation pattern gets wider and wider the farther it is from a station.

Bill, K5BY

N8KDV May 10th 04 01:11 PM

WShoots1 wrote:

I figure I get many signals after they have skipped around the world. Too, the
beamed radiation pattern gets wider and wider the farther it is from a station.

Have you heard of spherical convergence?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

WShoots1 May 11th 04 06:36 AM

N8KDV: Have you heard of spherical convergence?

I don't recall that term; please enlighten me. I presume, though, it, whatever
it is, would only affect coherent radiation.

Bill, K5BY

RHF May 11th 04 09:22 AM

JAY,

This is why a Receive ONLY Shortwave Listeners (SWL) Antenna
one that is Omni-Directional generally works better then one
that is intended to be directional.

* The SWL Version of the Inverted "L" Antenna works well as
an Omni-Directional Antenna. The SWL Inverted "L" Antenna
usually has a Vertical 'Leg' that is 1/3 to 1/2 the Length of
the Length of Horizontal 'Arm'. Plus the SWL Inverted "L"
Antenna usually is lower to the Ground. This closeness to the
Surface of the Ground results in the SWL Inverted "L" Antenna
being a form of "Near Vertical Incident Skywave" {NVIS} Antenna.
NVIS= http://www.qsl.net/k5eph/nvis.htm

* These SWL Versions of the Inverted "L" Antennas can be any
size because they are in-fact simply Random Wire Antennas that
are designed to fit the available space.

* The Inverted "L" Antenna 'Shape' lends itself to the Design
Concepts of a "Low Noise Antenna" that has been popularized
by John Doty; consisting of: Antenna Element; Matching Transformer;
Grounding Point; Coax Cable Feed-in-Line; Radio/Receiver.
DOTY= http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html
- Two Reasons to use a Balun (Matching Transformer)
with a Receive Only Antenna.
DOTY= http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante..._longwire.html
- Magnetic Longwire Balun (MLB) - Build Your Own "DIY"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/177
- Balun Reading List ( Long )
- The "Grounding-Point" = Ground Rods and Ground Wires ETC.
DOTY= http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/antennas/grounding.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/ground/

For those who want a 'Set of Numbers' to Build their SWL Inverted
"L" Antenna here are a few 'Sets of Numbers' to consider for your
available space:
- 10Ft High Vertical 'Leg' with a 20-30Ft Horazontal Arm
having a Total Lenght of 30-40 Feet. Also: 20x40-60 & 30x60-90
- 15Ft High Vertical 'Leg' with a 30-45Ft Horazontal Arm
having a Total Lenght of 45-60 Feet.
- 25Ft High Vertical 'Leg' with a 50-75Ft Horazontal Arm
having a Total Lenght of 75-100 Feet.
- 35Ft High Vertical 'Leg' with a 70-105Ft Horazontal Arm
having a Total Lenght of 105-140 Feet.

NOTE: The Amateur/HAM Inverted "L" Antenna is usually made-up
of Two Equal Sections One Vertical 'Leg' and One Horazontal 'Arm'.
These Two Equal Section can be:
* 1/8th Wavelength = Quarter Wavelength Total
* 1/4th Wavelength = Half Wavelength Total
* 1/2th Wavelength = One Wavelength Total
Because of the 'equal' porportionality, the Amateur/HAM
Inverted "L" Antenna is most often Higher above the Ground
then the SWL Version.
Dr. Ace's [WH2T] Inverted L Antenna Info
ACR= http://www.bloomington.in.us/~wh2t/invertedl.html

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Jay Heyl wrote in message
= = = ...
In article ,
says...
Sorry my questions caused you so much anger. I was asking if anyone could
tell me about what is going on at the VOA and if anyone could report on any
signals they might still be able to receive for VOA. They seemed like
reasonable questions for this forum.

I regularly get strong VOA signals intended for Africa at lunch time
here on the west coast. I've never taken the time to try to figure out
where they're coming from. These broadcasts are mostly African futbol
scores and discussions, along with the occasional human interest story
and American pop song. The only time I listen is if BBC or R.
Netherlands aren't coming in that day.

-- Jay

..