Old May 22nd 04, 09:46 AM
Sanjaya

Default On Topic.......question

GO BEARCATS wrote:
[snippage]
But is it usual for the BBC to be on a local FM radio station?

We have a local FM station that picks up a BBC feed each day.

Old May 22nd 04, 01:53 PM
Pete

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
nk.net...
GO BEARCATS wrote:
[snippage]
But is it usual for the BBC to be on a local FM radio station?

We have a local FM station that picks up a BBC feed each day.

Same here. In fact, you don't even need shortwave to listen to international
broadcasters these days. In Canada, the CBC broadcasts shortwave feeds on
its local Radio One stations all through the night after midnight or 1 AM
(not sure which). When I'm a nightowl, I often listen to them like that:
BBC, Poland, Australia, and many others.
Pete

Old May 22nd 04, 07:25 PM
Michael Bryant

The fact that local FM stations re-broadcast the BBC was one of their reasons
for justifying the cessation of SW broadcasts targeted to North America.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old May 22nd 04, 08:21 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
GO BEARCATS wrote:

But is it usual for the BBC to be on a local FM radio station?

Ah yes, their "broadcast partners". The real reason why the they have
those useless news bulletins every half hour is so the local stations
can put in their station identification without messing with the real
programs. At least VOA will admit this.

That's also why they've cut back on shortwave broadcasting to the US,
Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

If you go to http://www.bbcworldservice.com and enter in your city at
the schedule box at the bottom (and hit the go button), the schedule page
will give you a menu of 1) the sattellite services, 2) the local radio
stations that carry some BBC, and 3) whatever shortwave coverage they
provide.

Here (Seattle), a couple of the local public radio stations (KUOW, and
the Bellevue Community College station) use them for late night fill,
with maybe an hour in the afternoon or eveing.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old May 23rd 04, 09:51 AM
RHF

MWB,

Yes the BBC is using PRI as a 'distribution agent' in the USofA
and local Public Radio FM Stations as their "Re-Broadcasters".

The result is a greater overlall 'potential' Audience
and much 'better' Listener Demographics.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = ...

Old May 23rd 04, 10:44 AM
GO BEARCATS

We have a local FM station that picks up a BBC feed each day.

OK Sanjaya, yes I heard it again tonight on the same frequency. That's nice to
know I suppose, if I want to listen to the BBC that I have it here local feed
from London and it sounds *Perfect* :-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Old May 23rd 04, 10:47 AM
GO BEARCATS

I heard that interview, too. If I remember right, they were both medics;a
corporal and a lieutenant.

Yep, think you're right.

All that exposure to the Beeb was part of what got me interestedin SWL.
Should I thank them, or stop sending them money?

Thank them and send them $5-10 a month. ;-)

Old May 23rd 04, 10:53 AM
N8KDV

GO BEARCATS wrote:

We have a local FM station that picks up a BBC feed each day.

OK Sanjaya, yes I heard it again tonight on the same frequency. That's nice to
know I suppose, if I want to listen to the BBC that I have it here local feed
from London and it sounds *Perfect* :-)

I get the BBC here overnight starting at 10 PM to 5 AM during the week on WVGR-FM
104.1, Grand Rapids. It's part of the U of M radio network.

On weekends it usually starts at 11 PM and runs to 5 or 6 AM.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 23rd 04, 09:56 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"NDeveau" wrote:
| Here is the CBC Overnight Schedule for my location.
| Great reception (FM mono), lousy time.
|
| The international program schedule is:
| Weekdays:
| 1:05 Radio Netherlands
| 2:05 Radio Sweden and Radio Australia
| 3:05 Channel Africa and BBC World Service
| 4:05 Deutsche Welle and Radio Polonia
| 5:05 Radio Australia, Radio Prague, Deutsche Welle and Voice of Russia
|
| Weekends
| 1:05 Radio Netherlands
| 2:05 Radio Prague and Voice of Russia
| 3:05 Radio Sweden and BBC World Service
| 4:05 Deutsche Welle
| 5:05 Radio Australia
|
| It's pretty much the same right across Canada.
| Of course I can listen to BBC anytime I want,
| in one room in the house, tying up the phone line.
|
| Norm
| Nova Scotia

I used to be able to listen to the CBC outlet from
(I think) Winnipeg on 990, and they carried a
similar lineup.

I remember listening to CBC news at the top of
every hour, presented by Bernie McNamie (sp?).

I found myself wondering, "Who is Bernie McNamie?"

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

(NOTE: My email address has only one "dot."
You'll have to edit out the one between the "7"
and the "3" in my email address if you wish to