Old May 24th 04, 02:33 AM
Bob Monaghan

yes, it is a lot easier to learn morse now than in the past; you can
download W1AW practice files to your computer and as mp3 files; you can
get software that will not only drill you on morse characters, but
identify your weaknesses and provide specific instruction on those problem
character patterns, and so on. There are even programs that simulate
contest and noisy reception and "lousy" sending, so you don't get thrown
off by actual operating conditions ;-)

the latest QST magazine has an article on the aging of the USA ham
population; and that only 3% of those randomly surveyed were under 30-35
yrs(!) ;-( Code use had dropped from half to about a third, which helps
explain the relatively fewer cw signals I am hearing these days (thought
it must be my hearing, or the QRN static, but it looks like lower morse
activity, switching to PSK31 packet etc. ;-) ;-)

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
Old May 24th 04, 05:01 AM
WShoots1

But it is really interrupted continuous wave (:-)

Correct. ICW. I've never heard the designation MICW used before, though, like
ships used to use on 500 kHz. In fact, that should be called AMICW. Hi Hi

And Morse code is what is used over wires. Wireless uses the International
Code.

73,
Bill, K5BY