Old June 3rd 04, 04:47 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

Default German at 850 Hz on East Coast

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Trying to tune in WEEI Boston to hear the Red Sox game. From 0315 to 0325
a German broadcast kept alternating with the game. The program seemed to
be news or a magazine format; the only word I could understand was "Istanbul".
There were a male and a female speaking.
pI was using a Radio Shack SW100 which has analog tuning that is not
precise on the scale. The German was on a very narrow bandwidth, while
WEEI was coming in with several images. But it was definitely between WCRN
830 and a French Canadian station at 860 or 870. I was not able to bring
the German in on my Degen 1102 with digital tuning to get an exact frequency.
pDoes anyone know of a US based station with German language programing
on that frequency? What are the chances that it was a transatlantic skip?
pAin't radio fun?
pPete Davis
br /html

Old June 3rd 04, 04:55 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Pete & Renee Davis wrote:

[...]

You still have not figured out how to post in plain text instead of HTML.

MOST NEWS READERS DON'T HANDLE HTML.

Please learn to post in plain text. Thanks.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 3rd 04, 10:20 AM
Simon Mason

"Pete & Renee Davis" wrote in message
Trying to tune in WEEI Boston to hear the Red Sox game. From 0315 to 0325 a
German broadcast kept alternating with the game. The program seemed to be
news or a magazine format; the only word I could understand was "Istanbul".
There were a male and a female speaking.
I was using a Radio Shack SW100 which has analog tuning that is not precise
on the scale. The German was on a very narrow bandwidth, while WEEI was
coming in with several images. But it was definitely between WCRN 830 and a
French Canadian station at 860 or 870. I was not able to bring the German in
on my Degen 1102 with digital tuning to get an exact frequency.
Does anyone know of a US based station with German language programing on
that frequency? What are the chances that it was a transatlantic skip?

Not a chance. 850 *Hz* is far too low a frequency! However, 846 kHz and 855
kHz are valid European frequencies, but it's extremely unlikely to skip
across the pond in May, more likely in the depths of winter. Probably a US
station.
--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old June 3rd 04, 01:57 PM
Al Arduengo

Dan writes:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:55:16 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

You still have not figured out how to post in plain text instead of HTML.

MOST NEWS READERS DON'T HANDLE HTML.

Please learn to post in plain text. Thanks.

Actually, most newsreaders can handle HTML these days. Unless you
are still using something ancient like pine and emacs, you have
nothing to worry about. MT-NW 3.4 can certainly handle it. I know
because I use it on my OS X box also.

Dan

Grundig S800, S650, S700, YB400, YB550PE
Degen DE1102, Kaito KA1102
Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

True, many can handle it but it is considered poor practice and highly
discouraged to use HTML in both email and newsgroup postings. Much
spam comes via HTML so at least give those of us who try to fight it a
sporting chance.

Consequently, I use Gnus/Emacs and it will display HTML but I wash all
posts anyway. Long Live Gnus!!

Cheers.
--
remove NUNYA to email me
~/.signature
Old June 3rd 04, 07:18 PM
J999w

Getting back on topic ... ahem !

[...]

European medium wave stations have been logged this spring from the east coast
of the US. The closer you are to the actual sea shore the better the chance of
it being actual DX. With you being in Boston, it's quite likely. The fact that
you were getting images from a strong local station makes me skeptical though.

Take a look here and see what's possible:

http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/1st50.html

Living here in the midwest, I have only heard carriers but audio has been
logged in Illinois during really good openings.

I have heard EU and AF on longwave however.

Try again and if you hear it, TAPE IT !

73,

jw
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

Old June 3rd 04, 09:19 PM
Volker Tonn

Dan schrieb:

This is not 1973 any more. Usenet...

.....has it's rules for some _good_ reasons.

....now listening to RAI on 6185 russian program

RX:
NRD-525 with serial interface
PCR-1000 without UT-106 DSP
Yaesu FT50-R
Sony ICF-2001D (2010)
Albrecht AE300 100Khz-2.060Ghz AM FM SSB no gaps
Loewe Opta LO50 stereo radio with valves FM AM LW SW
Trio 9R-59DS

audio:
Datong FL2 analog audio filter in series with
Dierking GD 82NF analog audio filter in series with
Kenwood HiFI-amp with integrated equalizer feeding
AKG K-240Monitor headphones and/or hifi-speakers

antennas:
Magnetic loop 18-31Mhz remote tuning
Discone 25-1300Mhz
FD-antenna 40.5mtr/ 135'
FD-antenna 13.8mtr/ 44'
rain gutter areal app. 150 mtr/ 495'
Yaesu FRT7700 preselector
Yaesu FRA7700 selective active antenna/ modified for preamp

misc:
a bunch of CB-stuff
....and last but not least a bunch of computers and 2 older laptops.

Old June 3rd 04, 10:38 PM
ken

"Simon Mason" wrote in message ...
"Pete & Renee Davis" wrote in message
Trying to tune in WEEI Boston to hear the Red Sox game. From 0315 to 0325 a
German broadcast kept alternating with the game. The program seemed to be
news or a magazine format; the only word I could understand was "Istanbul".
There were a male and a female speaking.
I was using a Radio Shack SW100 which has analog tuning that is not precise
on the scale. The German was on a very narrow bandwidth, while WEEI was
coming in with several images. But it was definitely between WCRN 830 and a
French Canadian station at 860 or 870.

.................................................. ........................
The French Canadian station was CJBC Toronto at 860 khz. It is 50,000 watts
and has QSL's world-wide.
Old June 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
Al Arduengo

Dan writes:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:57:56 -0500, Al Arduengo
wrote:

True, many can handle it but it is considered poor practice and highly
discouraged to use HTML in both email and newsgroup postings.

I've always wondered about this. Why is it "considered poor practice
and highly discouraged"? What's the big deal? Plain text is so,
well, plain. HTML allows things like bolding and underlining, both
of which have advantages.

This is not 1973 any more. Usenet does not need to be restricted to
plain text any more than web pages need to be restricted to plain text
so lynx will still work.

Dan

Dan,

This is addressed in any usenet faq. However in my opinion the reasons
html is a nono is because of 1) the fact that not ALL news readers can
handle it, 2) spam comes hidden in html and use of it makes it
difficult to filter based on words in the message body and 3) it is a
waste of disk space and bandwidth. You can in most cases use
rudimentary formats like *bold* or _underline_ or *REAL BOLD* plus
some others that escape me.

And I agree that this is not 1973 anymore but the use of complex html,
java, etc on web pages forces some to have to upgrade equipment
or software when it may not be easily done. Usenet should use text
simply because then *everyone* can enjoy it and not just those who
post in html or can read it.

I am not flaming anyone. To each his/her own. But the usenet
ettiquette is put forth for a reason.

Cheers!

--
remove NUNYA to email me
~/.signature
Old June 4th 04, 02:34 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Hello Al,
pThank you for your rationally presented points about my using HTML to
post. In that light, I would be happy to try to change my settings. Can
anyone tell me how reset my browser to post in plain text? I use Netscape
Navigator 4.7.
pPete Davis
pAl Arduengo wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEDan writes:
p On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:55:16 GMT, Telamon
br wrote:
br
br
brYou still have not figured out how to post in plain text instead
of HTML.
br
brMOST NEWS READERS DON'T HANDLE HTML.
br
brPlease learn to post in plain text. Thanks.
br
br Actually, most newsreaders can handle HTML these days.
Unless you
br are still using something ancient like pine and emacs, you have
br nothing to worry about.  MT-NW 3.4 can certainly handle it.
I know
br because I use it on my OS X box also.
br
br Dan
br
br Grundig S800, S650, S700, YB400, YB550PE
br Degen DE1102, Kaito KA1102
br Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440
br E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)
pTrue, many can handle it but it is considered poor practice and highly
brdiscouraged to use HTML in both email and newsgroup postings.
Much
brspam comes via HTML so at least give those of us who try to fight it
brsporting chance.
pConsequently, I use Gnus/Emacs and it will display HTML but I wash all
brposts anyway.  Long Live Gnus!!
pCheers.
br--
brremove NUNYA to email me
br~/.signature/blockquote
/html

Old June 4th 04, 02:41 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
My apologies for posting in HTML, but I don't know how to change the default.
pJ999w wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEGetting back on topic ... ahem !
pTrying to tune in WEEI Boston to hear the Red Sox game. From 0315 to
0325 a
brGerman broadcast kept alternating with the game. The program seemed
to be
brnews or a magazine format; the only word I could understand was "Istanbul".
brThere were a male and a female speaking.
brI was using a Radio Shack SW100 which has analog tuning that is not
precise
bron the scale. The German was on a very narrow bandwidth, while WEEI
was
brcoming in with several images. But it was definitely between WCRN
830 and a
brFrench Canadian station at 860 or 870. I was not able to bring the
German in
bron my Degen 1102 with digital tuning to get an exact frequency.
brDoes anyone know of a US based station with German language programing
on
brthat frequency? What are the chances that it was a transatlantic skip?
br
br Not a chance. 850 *Hz* is far too low a frequency! However, 846 kHz
and 855
brkHz are valid European frequencies, but it's extremely unlikely to
skip
bracross the pond in May, more likely in the depths of winter. Probably
a US
brstation.
br--
brSimon Mason
pEuropean medium wave stations have been logged this spring from the
east coast
brof the US.  The closer you are to the actual sea shore the better
the chance of
brit being actual DX. With you being in Boston, it's quite likely. The
fact that
bryou were getting images from a strong local station makes me skeptical
though.
br /blockquote

pbrI'm actually about 80 miles north of Boston, in southern Maine.
WEEI is never very clear here in the evenings. I live in Sanford which
is an old mill town - in the bottom of an easterly facing valley. Sometimes
I can't even pick up a decent signal on 930 Hz WGIN in Portsmouth, NH.
I will check out your link. Thanks!
pPete Davis
blockquote TYPE=CITE
brTake a look here and see what's possible:
pa href="http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/1st50.html"http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/1st50.html/a
pLiving here in the midwest, I have only heard carriers but audio has
been
brlogged in  Illinois during really good openings.
pI have heard EU and AF on longwave however.
pTry again and if you hear it, TAPE IT !
p73,
pjw
brK9RZZ
brMilwaukee/blockquote