Old June 4th 04, 11:32 PM
Michael

"longwave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

Let me know if you come on any difficult signals and I'll give 'em a

whirl
on my end. I'll be up for another hour tonight.

Michael

It would be fun if those on the group who are interested, could do some
real time DX'ing together by using a chat room to share what we're
hearing. Have you ever done this?

Chat programs arent my speed... You can post what you come up with right
here and you'll get other people to check it out right away and respond with
a reception report from their location. I usually just put that in my
subject line the time and frequency and others check it out right away and
report on it too.

It would be kewl if we culd get a number of people to assemble for a
particular night during a set two or three hour time slot and post their
finds and stand ready to check out each others posts and respond to them
with a reception report.

Michael

Old June 5th 04, 12:29 AM
Michael

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Fri 04 Jun 2004 06:32:51p, "Michael" wrote in
message t:

"longwave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

Someone in here has a chat-applet on his web-site and I wonder if it would
be available and private enough? Alternatively, there are a variety of
instant-messaging apps available.

One possible downside I see to posting the results in RRS (as individual
messages) is trying to read through them in order or having to navigate
through the relevant posts without having to jump around. In any event, it
wouldn't be that difficult to dump all the reports into a single DB or
even some contest logging app, then post a single all-in-one report of the
results from different locations - instead of having to sort through a
long message thread and piece the reports back together in order.

Formatted something like (but not limited to):

Freq1 - Station ID
(listener 1 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment (mode, SINPO, whatever)
(listener 2 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment
(listener 3 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment

Freq2 - Station ID
(listener 1 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment
(listener 2 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment
(listener 3 & QTH) - Time - S-# & Comment

At the top or bottom you could list each listener's details.
That wouldn't take much effort - I'd even volunteer to compile it - and I
think it might be somewhat easier to read for comparisons....

Just a suggestion - I repeat - Just a suggestion.

Good suggestion. It could be done on a web site in that format. It would
be a great log.

The question... Who would host it ???

Michael

Old June 5th 04, 01:22 AM
Michael

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Fri 04 Jun 2004 07:29:45p, "Michael" wrote in
message t:

"longwave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of just posting the report in here... Or, were you talking
about the participants recording their reports on a web site? I don't know
if there are any freebie web sites that would allow that kind of scripting
- there may be, I've never looked... But, if I wasn't thinking about web-
enabling it, I was thinking about providing a text document (template)
that each person would use to fill out their reception reports - they'd
then email me the completed template and I'd compile them all together
into one report. Something like that...

That sounds good too. You could probably use an excel document to do it.
If we were going to do this to compare how each of the participants received
the same signal at the same time from their location, you could prepare the
excel document before hand and fill in all the signals that we are supposed
to report on. So... say we pick twenty specific signals... You put them on
the excel spread sheet. Each participant fills out the spread sheet and
when he/she is done, it is sent back to be compiled. Then it can just be
cut and paste on to a master excel document with the listeners
ID/Radio/Location as the heading above the copy/paste. Then, the final log
is distributed back to all the participants via e-mail.

Next... Who picks the 20 or so signals to check out ??? What time slot ???

Michael

Old June 5th 04, 02:35 AM
Michael

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Fri 04 Jun 2004 08:22:23p, "Michael" wrote in
message t:

"longwave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

???

Michael

I wouldn't presume to pick the stations - I'll gladly follow someone
else's lead there. I also thought a text doc would be the lowest common
denominator for everyone - I don't know if everyone has excel...

If there was some real-time chat available, the stations could be decided
"on the fly" and the template I have in mind would accomodate that. I'd
recommend using the K.I.S.S. design method at every opportunity...

Sounds good to me...

Lets see how many participants we can drum up....

Michael