Old June 7th 04, 10:13 AM
Mike Terry

Default "FCC Set to End Our Right to Listen to Foreign Broadcasts . . . and More"

By Gloria R. Lalumia
BuzzFlash

....Shortwave radio is in many ways the last of our untarnished resources. As
Americans, we have always been taught and told that it is our freedom that
makes us strong and separates us from everybody else. When it comes to news
and information, our desire to have the freedom to choose from a wide array
of media and media channels is no different.
Shortwave radio represents a cost-effective and easily accessible means for
all Americans to get global news straight from the source, a claim that no
other technology can make. If this access was denied or impeded in any way,
and Americans left with less media choices or channels, then our right to
freedom of the press would be unfairly and unacceptably compromised...

--Eton/Grundig Corporation statement on FCC's Broadband-Over-Powerline
Policy, November 14, 20031
* * *

See long article at
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributor.../con04238.html

Useful links:

Key Information
The ARRL web page devoted to BPL is crammed with information and news
stories about BPL. Explore this whole page---industry links, reports, tests,
and news stories about the test areas here in the US. This page will offer
the reader a clear understanding of the ramifications of BPL.
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc
* *

This page also has a section of Audio examples of the type of interference
BPL causes from the US and overseas tests. I've included one easy to use
link to audio studies in Japan (uses RealPlayer). The samples are taken from
tests run in apartments and houses. Listening to these audio examples are
truly "ear-opening."
http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/0-2.htm
* *

The NTIA (National Telecommunications & Information Administration, Dept. of
Commerce) and the Subcommittee on Telecommunications & the Internet

The NTIA is the President's principal advisor on telecom and information
policy. Its warnings about BLP are apparently being ignored, which is par
for the course.

The last day for comment is June 1.

Direct Link to FCC comment page on BPL

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/ecfs/Upload...26%7C04-37%7CB...
REPORT on the May 19, 2004 hearing from AARL4

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/05/20/1 /

BPL Industry Official Disputes NTIA Report in Congressional Hearing

Excerpt:
"Responding to a question from New Hampshire Republican Charles Bass,
Birnbaum said the BPL industry would be pleased if Congress could provide
tax or financial incentives, especially for improving the power grid. He
said utilities have not explored the broadband market in the past because
some companies had bad experiences and the technology was not feasible five
years ago.

Birnbaum suggested, too, that while utilities are slow to act, they will
begin to deploy BPL systems over the next year or two. The biggest issue, he
said, is the incentive for utilities to invest in broadband technology."

Old June 7th 04, 02:09 PM
applecores

"Mike Terry" wrote in message

BPL Industry Official Disputes NTIA Report in Congressional Hearing

Excerpt:
"Responding to a question from New Hampshire Republican Charles Bass,
Birnbaum said the BPL industry would be pleased if Congress could provide
tax or financial incentives, especially for improving the power grid. He
said utilities have not explored the broadband market in the past because
some companies had bad experiences and the technology was not feasible

five
years ago.

To put another way...Coingressman Bass really was saying: "Gee! I know this
will not be a problem but it's a great cover to get a couple $Mil in
kickbacks
to do useless technical studies that nobody will ever read, and forward
a Govt financial grant to my brother-in-law who just started a private
company
last week to investigate this very thingie....$$$ cha-ching! $$$ "

Birnbaum suggested, too, that while utilities are slow to act, they will
begin to deploy BPL systems over the next year or two. The biggest issue,

he
said, is the incentive for utilities to invest in broadband technology."

I'll be happy when BPL finally comes along and every
tinfoil-hat'ted kook who said this was the end of the
world sees that nothing is wrong with their SW.

In other news:

JUN 05: After years of drooling on himself and complaining
that pancakes attack him at night, ex-President Ronald Reagan
succumbs to the ravages of dottering stupidity. A grateful nation
orders Biggie Fries and moves on............

http://www.citizented.com/atdp2004.html

Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle
stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but
our death begun.
--Bishop Hall

Old June 7th 04, 05:05 PM
JJ

applecores wrote:

I'll be happy when BPL finally comes along and every
tinfoil-hat'ted kook who said this was the end of the
world sees that nothing is wrong with their SW.

Keep you head in the sand, and when you finally pull it out after BPL is
implemented you will see that you can't listen to SW anymore because of
all the interference.

Old June 7th 04, 06:06 PM
Billybob

Guess living in a place thats like a third world country has its advantages
after all....We cant buy a new car here unless we travel 50 miles.....We
cant eat fast food unless we drive 40 miles.....we cant buy NIKE shoes
unless we drive 70 miles here....And we will NEVER have BPL

Just dialup here...no other options and according to the phone company and
the Utility company there never will be its so sparsley populated. Not worth
making the investments for anything else!

Living in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky used to suck....But its
looking better day by day as BPL spreads across the rest of the nation
except us!

Should help with DX on the ham bands as well....Less pileups for me to fight
since I can hear a lot of weak stuff and a lot of other hams cant because of
BPL!

I'll think I'll sign the petition FOR BPL!

Old June 7th 04, 07:11 PM
Al Arduengo

"applecores" writes:

"Mike Terry" wrote in message

snip

Birnbaum suggested, too, that while utilities are slow to act, they will
begin to deploy BPL systems over the next year or two. The biggest issue,

he
said, is the incentive for utilities to invest in broadband technology."

I'll be happy when BPL finally comes along and every
tinfoil-hat'ted kook who said this was the end of the
world sees that nothing is wrong with their SW.

Uh *huh*....

In other news:

JUN 05: After years of drooling on himself and complaining
that pancakes attack him at night, ex-President Ronald Reagan
succumbs to the ravages of dottering stupidity. A grateful nation
orders Biggie Fries and moves on............

Prick.

plonk

Old June 7th 04, 08:18 PM
applecores

"JJ" wrote in message
applecores wrote:

I'll be happy when BPL finally comes along and every
tinfoil-hat'ted kook who said this was the end of the
world sees that nothing is wrong with their SW.

Keep you head in the sand, and when you finally pull it out after BPL is
implemented you will see that you can't listen to SW anymore because of
all the interference.

Oh-contraire dear friend, that will be great!

Just stop and think a moment!

No more Brother Stair and his endless predictions or kooky "the
phone line is now open" call-in's from trailer parks across amerika...
No more James Lloyd and his psychotic maniacal laugh...
No more 'Pastor' Pete Peckerhead Peters and his neo-nazi supremacist
drivel...
No more Alex Jones and his high-blood pressure rantings telling off
callers...

My glub, radio will NEVER be the same! (don't hold yer breath)

Old June 8th 04, 01:50 AM
JJ

applecores wrote:

Oh-contraire dear friend, that will be great!

Just stop and think a moment!

No more Brother Stair and his endless predictions or kooky "the
phone line is now open" call-in's from trailer parks across amerika...
No more James Lloyd and his psychotic maniacal laugh...
No more 'Pastor' Pete Peckerhead Peters and his neo-nazi supremacist
drivel...
No more Alex Jones and his high-blood pressure rantings telling off
callers...

My glub, radio will NEVER be the same! (don't hold yer breath)

Those programs don't exist as far as I am concerned anyway as I never
listen to them. If those programs bother you and you listen to them
anyway, then you have a problem.
As far as jamming up the entire HF spectrum with BPL just to get rid of
a few nutty SW broadcasters is pretty stupid.