Old June 13th 04, 07:41 AM
Frank Dresser

"no_spam_here" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

These countries are
in a budget cutting era and they are finding that with satellite and
internet and cable that they can reach more people with fewer of their
dollars expended.

[snip]

If they really want to save money, they can just stop making shows. I
really doubt there is much return for the sort of public diplomacy
broadcasting which is in decline. For example, I'm sure Radio Nederland has
spent alot of money making shows in the English language. Just what do they
get for it? Maybe (or maybe not) a few more tourists?

International Broadcasting is a source of news and entertainment for it's
listners. But does that justify the expense?

Frank Dresser

Old June 13th 04, 08:00 AM
Frank Dresser

"no_spam_here" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

They really don't care about the poor African with
the wind up radio. That's for their little country to deal with.

[snip]

They should want to get a message to the poor African, and so should we. A
couple of sects of Islamic fundamentalists have declared war on Western
Civilization. There is a propaganda battle between them and us now. The
Osama bin :Ladens of the world would be very pleased if we didn't bother
fighting his propaganda in the third world.

Frank Dresser

Old June 13th 04, 11:08 AM
no_spam_here

Why don't you expand on your comment. How am I reprehensible? I air my
point of view and you don't like what I have to say so I am morally
reprehensible?

Telamon wrote in message ...
In article ,
(no_spam_here) wrote:

Snip

Shortwave international broadcast is taking it's last gasping
breaths.

Yes you are morally reprehensible.

Old June 13th 04, 12:48 PM
Frank Dresser

"no_spam_here" wrote in message
om...

Frank
I don't think that words will fight the muslim terrorists to an end
they only understand terror and the only way to stop them is to send
them to their god which is NOT my God. More Christian broadcasting to
Africa will have a chance to help but not until the muslim terrorist
are gone.

Few Muslims are terrorists. But a great many of them are isolated and
illiterate.

I think there is great value in broadcasting the Western, and American,
point of view to them. They likely don't personally know any Westerners.
Their opinions of us are heavily influenced by a controlled media. I think
there is great value in showing that Westerners are all sorts of people, but
generally a decent sort. And there is great value in showing that their
controlled media is frequently deceptive and dishonest. It's not all that
different than the Cold War, in which the BBC and Radio Liberty came to be
seen as more honest and reliable than the local media. Open societies have
a huge propaganda advantage over closed societies, and we must take
advantage of it.

Our pursuit of the hard core terrorists will drive them deeper into the
isolated parts of the third world. If all these people know about
Westerners is the lies and misrepresentations they've heard, they will
consider the terrorists heroes. The sort of heroes a young man with nothing
to do and plenty to prove might join up with.

On the other hand, if we can manage to do a good job presenting our side,
the locals will be more skeptical of the extremists. They might not give
them assistance, maybe even turn in the terrorists. Those same young men,
better informed, might look at the terrorists as a bunch of crazy old men.

Frank Dresser

Old June 13th 04, 04:01 PM
Pierre

Geez, you must not have been around SW very long. I find there's more
interesting radio to listen to now than there was 30-40 years ago. Less
propaganda, more interesting documentary radio, and even the crackpot talk
shows on private SW broadcasters can be fun to listen to.
Pierre

"no_spam_here" wrote in message
om...
Pierre
The sky has fallen, you just haven't been hit yet. BBC and R Norway
Duetchewelle and others are lighting the way for others. Just stay in
your own little world. Ya know, Radio Shack isn't really a good
barometer but even they dropped all of their Rat Shack branded SW
items. A pretty good sign of the times and the demise of SW
broadcasting as we know it. If there was money inSW radios, Rat Shack
would have as much as they could get instead they bailed. So has the
sky fallen. Cover your head. There is almost zero SW broadcast content
any more. Be the last to figure it out. Even Radio Havana has cut
broadcast hours in an attempt to fund something useful such as
supplying the people toilet tissue. Shortwave international broadcast
is taking it's last gasping breaths.

Old June 13th 04, 06:10 PM

Somehow, I find it hard to picture the Chinese family,
gathered around the short-wave radio at night,
to listen to BBC broadcast the "real" news.......

It just sounds so WWII-ish.....

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 04:59:18 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"no_spam_here" wrote in message
. com...

[snip]

Shortwave international broadcast
is taking it's last gasping breaths.

Propaganda radio still serves a purpose in broadcasting to nations with
restricted media such as China and Cuba.

Frank Dresser

rj
Old June 14th 04, 03:29 AM
Frank Dresser

"RHF" wrote in message
om...

FD,

First of all the 'poor' in Africa is the average common man and
woman living in a village or town. These 'poor' Africans only
speak their local reagional dialect of some native landguage.

I know we've dropped some African languages, and I think that's a mistake.
Still,Arabic, English and French are common second languages, if not first
languages.

More and more of the Message to the 'poor' in Africa is being
done with [in country] FM Radio Sations vice Shortwave Radio.
The process is two fold: Getting cheap low cost AM/FW Radios
into every Hut and Home. {The most coommon Radios to be found
and the easist to use.} Getting your message out to the locals
via a low cost medium powered FM Station. Distribution is done
via Satellite or the Internet to the local FM Stations.

~ RHF

.

Satellite is ideal for rebroadcasting, but I hope we aren't using the
internet for that purpose. Anyway, I know tropical band SW broadcasting is
greatly diminished, but it's still there. And we should be broadcasting on
SW to the third world at least as long as there are some people listening to
their SW radios.

Frank Dresser

Old June 14th 04, 03:40 AM
Stinger

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

I took my Kaito 1102 with me to San Pedro, Belize last week, and am happy to
report that there is PLENTY of shortwave to listen to down there. However,
they do have noisy powerlines (or generators, or something that makes a
racket on various frequencies).

Just for grins, I also tried some MW dx with it and was really surprised to
be able to listen to George Noory on WOAI (San Antonio). The signal was
fairly weak but steady, but since there weren't a lot of MW signals out
there to interfere, the 1102 pulled it right in.

FM was the biggest surprise. Two stations -- one playing Mexicano-style
stuff, the other -- get this -- country western (the time I checked -- 88.1
Mhz or so).

-- Stinger

Old June 14th 04, 03:45 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

I'm listening to RNZ and Australia right now and I was listening to
radio Japan and radio Netherlands earlier today. I've spent a few hours
listening to them and I won't the mention others listened to for less
then 15 minutes.

Who did you listen to today?

--
Telamon