Old June 18th 04, 11:26 AM
Alan

Default Sony 7600G V YB400

Hello
What are your views on both the YB400 and the Sony 7600G, which one would be
the better buy for listening to the radio-hams on HF, and general short-wave
listening
thank you
Alan

Old June 18th 04, 12:10 PM
Mike W

I would give the nod to the 7600GR, especially for HF SSB use and it has the
added benefit of the sync detector for AM listening.

news

Old June 18th 04, 01:19 PM
Ron Hardin

The 7600G is the only one that can beat all-too-common distortion from
selective fading. Radio Japan on 6145 00:00 UTC from Sackville is
distorted beyond belief on the YB400, very often.

The result is that if you get the YB400, you will often wish for
the 7600G; the reverse is not true.

The audio is nicer on the YB400 but it's not anything you can't live
with; the fading distortion is a killer.

(Selective fading distortion sounds like, and is in fact, overmodulation
distortion, only at the receiver's end. It does not mean a weak
signal, in fact occurs most horribly on strong signals. It only
requires that the carrier has faded more than the sidebands at this
or that moment, but all may be strong still.)
--
Ron Hardin

Old June 18th 04, 07:13 PM
Invader3k

I have the YB400, and while I really do like it, I have to say that
the SSB function does not work very well for me. Of course, I live on
the first floor of an apartment building with very thick walls. I have
no experience with the Sony, but you may want to try that first if it
is reported to have good performance on the ham bands.

Old June 19th 04, 10:10 AM
Alan

"Alan" wrote in message
news
Hello
What are your views on both the YB400 and the Sony 7600G, which one would

be
the better buy for listening to the radio-hams on HF, and general

short-wave
listening
thank you
Alan

Hi
Thank you all for your comments, I am eagerley awaiting delivery of my new
Sony ICF7600GR on Tuesday 22-june.
cheers
Alan

Old June 19th 04, 06:34 PM
Namikis

I will be the contrarian and give the YB400 the nod on this. I owned both
and I listened to ssb much more often on the YB400 than I ever did on the
sony.

Old June 21st 04, 07:22 PM
Tr

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:26:12 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

Hello
What are your views on both the YB400 and the Sony 7600G, which one would be
the better buy for listening to the radio-hams on HF, and general short-wave
listening

There is a good comparision of Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB400PE and
Sony ICF-7600g at the Radiointel sait "What Is The Best Shortwave
Travel Portable With SSB Reception":
http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

I myself obtained YachtBoy year ago or so. Prefered it to Sangean
beacuse of beter FM reception and longer battery life. Quite
satisfied so far, only missing rotary turning knob. And SSB good be
better too. Sangean is deffinitely more sofisticated and I liked it a
lot, but it's a battery eater and I think that's a big minus for
travelling radio.

BTW Radiolabs is making a modificated Sangean ATS-909 called RadioLabs
- Super 909. They change display, increase front-end sensitivity,
change the IF filters, speaker and modify the audio filter curves,
add the anti-mute mod (Grundig YB400 needs this mod very badly too)
and remove the detent from the tuning knob. They sell that kind of
modified Sangean for $329.95 or they can do the mods to your own
Sangean for $109.95.

It's sad that there is no compnay dealing with such Grundig YB 400
mods. So far I've only found a webpage describing antimute mod and
some others, but there is very little info about
(http://members.aol.com/rickw999/grundig.htm)

Tr11