Old June 19th 04, 04:27 AM
Rob Mills

Default Any DX160 gurus here?

I picked up a real clean DX160 this afternoon. It has audio at the headphone
jack but none at the speaker out. I don't have the schematics so was hoping
to find someone who has been there done that. Rob Mills

Old June 19th 04, 06:26 AM
starman

Rob Mills wrote:

I picked up a real clean DX160 this afternoon. It has audio at the headphone
jack but none at the speaker out. I don't have the schematics so was hoping
to find someone who has been there done that. Rob Mills

The headphone jack has a switch contact which turns off the speaker jack
on the back, when the headphone plug is inserted. This contact should
close when the headphone plug is removed so the speaker jack will work.
If it doesn't, the speaker jack switch contact in the headphone jack is
staying open when the headphone plug is removed. You'll have to remove
the bottom cover and check the speaker switch contact of the headphone
jack to see what's going on. It might help if you spray it with some
electrical contact cleaner. I'm assuming you're using the correct kind
of plug on the speaker wire.

Old June 19th 04, 06:46 AM
Rob Mills

"starman" wrote in message

The headphone jack has a switch contact which turns off the speaker jack

on the back, when the headphone plug is inserted.

That sounds good, makes since. I've been tinkering with the speaker jack end
and getting no place. The radio is clean (after some cleaning up) but looks
like it has sit for most of it's life.
I'll open her back up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes, Thanks, RM~

Old June 19th 04, 08:58 PM
The Maj

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:27:29 -0500, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

I picked up a real clean DX160 this afternoon. It has audio at the headphone
jack but none at the speaker out. I don't have the schematics so was hoping
to find someone who has been there done that. Rob Mills

Schematic attached...

Old June 20th 04, 02:45 AM
CW

Attached to what?

"The Maj" wrote in message

Schematic attached...

Old June 20th 04, 04:14 AM
The Maj

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:45:40 -0700, "CW" no adddress@spam free.com
wrote:

Attached to what?

"The Maj" wrote in message
.. .

Schematic attached...

Just the way it was uploaded from my side....the attachment showed up
as a SECOND listing...

If you need it, send me a decent email and I'll send it to you
directly.
Old June 20th 04, 07:08 AM
Rob Mills

"The Maj" wrote in message

Schematic attached...

Got them, Thanks, Looks like I'm going to need them. I cleaned the headphone
jack as starman suggested and now have very weak (very,very weak) audio at
both jacks. I suspect that someone has had this radio turned on with no load
across the output trying to get sound out of it with no speaker attached and
blown the chip. Oh well, guess I can't expect too much for $10.
Thanks again to Starman and the Maj for the assist, Rob Mills

Old June 21st 04, 10:50 AM
starman

Rob Mills wrote:

"The Maj" wrote in message

Schematic attached...

Got them, Thanks, Looks like I'm going to need them. I cleaned the headphone
jack as starman suggested and now have very weak (very,very weak) audio at
both jacks. I suspect that someone has had this radio turned on with no load
across the output trying to get sound out of it with no speaker attached and
blown the chip. Oh well, guess I can't expect too much for $10.
Thanks again to Starman and the Maj for the assist, Rob Mills

Check the audio chip's output coupling capacitor, C63. It's an
electrolytic- 100mfd @ 16V. The chip is a UPC575C2, made by NEC and NAT.
It's still available from some surplus suppliers. Here's a company in
Ca. that can apparently supply it. Enter UPC575C2 in the search box and
choose 'closest match'. It shows thousands of them!

http://www.4starelectronics.com/part_search.html

Old June 21st 04, 05:40 PM
Rob Mills

"starman" wrote in message

Check the audio chip's output coupling capacitor, C63. It's an

electrolytic- 100mfd @ 16V. The chip is a UPC575C2, made by NEC and NAT.
It's still available from some surplus suppliers. Here's a company in Ca.
that can apparently supply it. Enter UPC575C2 in the search box and choose
'closest match'. It shows thousands of them!

Many thanks again, I'll do all of the above. Rob Mills