Old June 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
Michael Salmons

Default DIY antenna- which?

Hi,

I've finally purchased a fine desktop SW receiver, and I'd like to
have a nice antenna to use with it as well. I've made a number of
antennas for mediumwave, and I'd like to do the same for SW. I've read
several descriptions found online and think I've settled on Arnie
Coro's broomstick antenna or the 7m sloper just for a starter. Has
anyone tried either of these? Or would you recommend something else
for a good starter DIY antenna? My primary listening interests are
Africa and the Pacific and I live in the midwestern US.

Thanks,

Michael Salmons
salmonsm @ missouri . edu
Old June 24th 04, 01:19 AM
Tony Meloche

Michael Salmons wrote:

Hi,

I've finally purchased a fine desktop SW receiver, and I'd like to
have a nice antenna to use with it as well. I've made a number of
antennas for mediumwave, and I'd like to do the same for SW. I've read
several descriptions found online and think I've settled on Arnie
Coro's broomstick antenna or the 7m sloper just for a starter. Has
anyone tried either of these? Or would you recommend something else
for a good starter DIY antenna? My primary listening interests are
Africa and the Pacific and I live in the midwestern US.

Thanks,

Michael Salmons
salmonsm @ missouri . edu

I've read the other responses to this post, and you've gotten good
advice.
If you want to start simple, spend .89¢ at any discount store for a hank
of bell wire. One end to your antenna input, about 40' of it elevated
as high as practical in your situation. If you have to go "around the
room", that's OK too.
You might be amazed how well you can do with just that (and note I am
NOT saying that is a "great antenna" - it's rudimentary - but it is a
very quick and inexpensive way to experiment with the concept). Also,
try another 10' of the wire hooked to your ground terminal, and just
trailing across the floor as a counterpoise. May help, may not. Later,
read up n the suggested articles, and decide on a more sophisticated
approach that appeals to you or would work well in your situation.
Above all, have fun and keep logs! The logs will tell you (over time)
how much improvement your "new and improved" antenna(s) are giving you -
and you'll be constantly working to improve it, if you're like most of
us.

Tony

Old June 24th 04, 03:21 PM
Michael Salmons

you guys have given me a lot of material to work with and,
consequently, a lot to think about. Thanks very much for the
information and links you've provided. I'm going to go make a plan
now!

Old June 24th 04, 10:24 PM
Raqueeb Hassan

I agree ... cool advices.

and you can also try these links ....

http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-longwire.htm
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-longwire2.htm

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book10/42n.htm

HTH

Raqueeb Hassan
Congo (DRC)
Old June 25th 04, 01:42 AM
RHF

MS,

Since you are not limited to an InDoor Antenna forget the
BroomStick Antenna.
READ: Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/755

The 7M (21Ft) Sloper 'outside' Antenna would be the better
choice of the two.

FWIW: If you have 'space' for the 7M (21 Ft) Sloper; then
consider trying an Inverted "L" Antenna instead. In the same
space as a 7M (21 Ft) Sloper you could build an Inverted "L"
Antenna 4-5M (13-16 Ft) High (Vertical); and 5-6M (16-20 Ft)
Across (Horizontal). About 9-11M (29-36 Ft) Long and generally
a more Omni-Directional and Lower Noise Antenna for SWLing.

READ: Improving the 'basic' Long Wire Antenna with a Coax Lead-in-Line
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1024

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = . com...

Old June 25th 04, 04:55 PM
CW

If you have room outside, don't waste your time with the broomstick. It is a
comprimise antenna and shows it.

Old June 25th 04, 07:11 PM
GrtPmpkin32

I have to agree with CW's assessment of the broomstick antenna. I've attempted
the broomstick antenna a thousand ways from Sunday (with capacitance hat,
without, tuner, no tuner, larger stick, spaced windings, on and on) and it just
doesn't perform as well as almost any decent length of wire you can get
outside. My last attempt was a 6' long stick, tightly wound, with a 40' sloper
atop it, and the sloper by itself was better than the entire configuration.
Try the sloper idea first, assuming you have the room for it.
Or, a simple random-length wire. Tree to tree, house to tree, house to ground,
whatever you can manage. Use any kind of strong wire you have around, and if
it's insulated, remove a bit of the sleeve at the end nearest your listening
position. Attach another wire to the bared end of the aerial wire, wrap for
strength, solder well for electrical contact, and bring the other end of this
wire in to your receiver (with banana plug, alligator clip, or matching plug
for your radio's external antenna jack). You can get a whole lot more
complicated than that, but even this much will work better than the broomstick.
Good luck-
Linus

Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna [Was: Wire ant question] RHF Shortwave 0 February 23rd 04 12:59 PM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM