Old June 24th 04, 08:46 AM
dxAce

Default Canada-Expanded broadcasts

** CANADA. Hi, Glenn! Please be sure to listen to today's repeat of
RCI's "Mailbag", if you don't already have this info. (Or maybe you
can listen to it on-line?) I wasn't home in mid-afternoon Sunday so I
missed it at my usual time, and then listened to the Sunday-evening
broadcast while also paying attention to something else, so of course
that was the first time in weeks or months they actually announced/
discussed something really interesting! Ian Jones had an interview
with another RCI staffer and I am sure that I heard some mention of a
new SE USA and Carib service that would run many hours in duration. I
believe that I heard the words "from 11 AM to 6 PM Eastern" or
something to that effect. The frequency 17765 kHz was mentioned.

I just went to the RCI website and printed out their "technical
frequency schedule". It has a new date as of June 21, and DOES list a
French block from 1100-1459 Eastern (1500-1859 UT) and an English
block at 1500-1759 Eastern (1900-2159 UT) on that frequency directed
to "SE USA/Cuba/Haiti". I won't try to figure out the French
programming stated, but the English is:

M-F The Roundup, The World at 6, & As It Happens
Sat Definitely Not The Opera
Sun Tapestry, Cross-Country Checkup

Well, we wanted more from RCI, and it looks like we're getting it. I
also heard on the Mailbag discussion that they were planning on
improving their Central and Western-US coverage. Maybe that means that
we can look forward to hearing RCI overnight, like at 0400-0600 or so,
when we really want and need it!

Now we can begin nitpicking the choice of programming. I really wish
that they would have "Vinyl Cafe" as one of those new English hours.
It is now on only once, Saturday morning directly opposite Car Talk on
NPR. And, if future plans allow the overnight service I mentioned,
wouldn't it be great to have RCI re-broadcast all the old episodes of
Vinyl Cafe at, say, 0500 UT weeknights, a different one each evening,
going through the whole history of the show? What great going-to-
sleep-time programming! Like classic radio used to be (Will Martin,
June 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Before he saw this:

RCI has, as of today (21 June) added some new transmissions for the SE
USA and the northern Caribbean. This means that there will be at least
one frequency on the air, in either English or French blocks of
programming, from 1000 to 0200 UT daily.

There are also additions to the current Spanish and Portuguese
schedules, the latter involving extra repeats on SW of the weekly
program.

The updated technical schedule may be found (in PDF format) at:
http://www.rcinet.ca/horaires/A04_SW_24h.pdf
73- (Bill Westenhaver, RCI, June 21, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Looks like a lot more French than English. It seems the only new
transmission in English is 1900-2200 on 17765 250 kW, 227 degrees: M-F
1900-2100 The Roundup, 2100 World at Six, 2130 As It Happens (1/3 of
it); Sat 1900-2200 DNTO; Sun 1900-2000 Tapestry, 2000-2200 Cross
Country Checkup. Now there are two complete runs of W@6 and AIH at
2200-2400 and 0000-0200 weekdays, and various CBC/RCI features on
weekends (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old June 27th 04, 02:43 AM
Diverd4777

Steve,
thanks for the Heads-up.
Am getting dependant on RCI since BBC cut back theiir daytime broadcasts;

Dan / NYC..