Old June 28th 04, 03:15 AM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Default CERT says to stop using IE, but will the **** heads listen?

In article , johnson38
@nospam.alvillage.net says...

snippety

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

So... Instead of wasting energy cussing at 'them,' why not HELP
someone, in a nice way, to migrate AWAY from IE and into something like
Opera or Firefox?

Oh, I forgot... It's easier and quicker to simply swear at someone
than it is to do something constructive.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Old June 28th 04, 05:01 AM
Jim Hampton

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote in message
In article , johnson38
@nospam.alvillage.net says...

snippety

So I just want to say "**** you!" to the ignorant IE and OE users who
defend their use of that hole-ridden, abominable software beyond
reason. YOU are one of the major problems with today's Internet.

So... Instead of wasting energy cussing at 'them,' why not HELP
someone, in a nice way, to migrate AWAY from IE and into something like
Opera or Firefox?

Oh, I forgot... It's easier and quicker to simply swear at someone
than it is to do something constructive.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Yes. Opera. Foxfire. I think I just got an alert last week that Foxfire
has been found to have a security hole for which there is no known fix (as
of yet). Opera? It has holes. You can subscribe to these government
alerts and see for yourself.

BTW, we point fingers at browsers .... uh ... do you know that Real Player
has problems? Didn't think so. How about file sharing programs? Hehehe
HAR DE HAR HAR.

The list is virtually endless. Various instant messaging programs. Some
stuff that you wouldn't think could even cause a security problem.

I fixed a PC a few weeks ago. Some alleged tech "fixed" the computer.
Returned it sans anti-virus and firewall. Also didn't do updates. It got
hijacked. It took me quite a bit of effort which included removing spyware,
getting a firewall in place, anti-virus in place, and an on-line scan to
remove the last pieces of that nasty thing. I had even been locked out of
regedit! Finally, everything was working except I couldn't get the home
page back. Since I could get into regedit by this time, I simply edited the
registry and it is finally working fine. The problem, in this case, wasn't
with Microsoft or the users. It was a lazy tech that didn't want to do the
whole job.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old June 29th 04, 04:05 PM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:
[...]

You use Real Player? Just using it is a security issue.

The list is virtually endless. Various instant messaging programs. Some
stuff that you wouldn't think could even cause a security problem.

Instant messaging services is a leading source of spyware. Don't use it.

I fixed a PC a few weeks ago. Some alleged tech "fixed" the computer.
Returned it sans anti-virus and firewall. Also didn't do updates. It got
hijacked. It took me quite a bit of effort which included removing spyware,
getting a firewall in place, anti-virus in place, and an on-line scan to
remove the last pieces of that nasty thing. I had even been locked out of
regedit! Finally, everything was working except I couldn't get the home
page back. Since I could get into regedit by this time, I simply edited the
registry and it is finally working fine. The problem, in this case, wasn't
with Microsoft or the users. It was a lazy tech that didn't want to do the
whole job.

Blaming the victim again, Jim. Like blaming a sexual assault victim
because she was pretty and dressed nice.

You seem to accept the flaws as inevitable and a normal part of
operating. you would never accept a car that has as many flaws as a
typical PC OS.

Browsers and mail readers should never never ever be integrated with
OS's. Ports should be inaccessible unless you tell it to be accessible.
Address books should be encrypted (although there is a chicken and egg
thing going on in that case) The list goes on and on.

Demand competent software!

- Mike KB3EIA -