Old July 10th 04, 06:32 AM
WShoots1

Mike: I still remember listening to the Shadow as I warmed my hands over the

little thermals set up by the 6V6 'valves'.

Transistors stole my childhood. Damn you Bell Labs! g

LOL As they say... Real radios glow in the dark.

My late wife (N5GIN) of 52+ years, bless her, thought the same thing. She would
have rather had an SX-28A in the living room than one of the super receivers of
today.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old July 10th 04, 07:10 AM
m II

WShoots1 wrote:

My late wife (N5GIN) of 52+ years, bless her, thought the same thing. She would
have rather had an SX-28A in the living room than one of the super receivers of
today.

And who could blame her?

http://www.rigpix.com/hallicrafter/sx28a.htm

That is one sweet looking set.

mike
Old July 11th 04, 01:14 AM
Greg

From: (WShoots1)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 10 Jul 2004 05:32:21 GMT
Subject: Update on 12-year-old's SW radio

Mike: I still remember listening to the Shadow as I warmed my hands over
the

little thermals set up by the 6V6 'valves'.

Transistors stole my childhood. Damn you Bell Labs! g

LOL As they say... Real radios glow in the dark.

My late wife (N5GIN) of 52+ years, bless her, thought the same thing. She
would
have rather had an SX-28A in the living room than one of the super receivers
of
today.

73,
Bill, K5BY

My JRC NRD-525 has a red LED right inside the vent in the top of the metal
cabinet. If I squint my eyes a little it's easy to imagine that it's the
glow of a tube filament.

Greg

Old July 11th 04, 03:01 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Greg" wrote in message
My JRC NRD-525 has a red LED right inside the vent in the top of the metal
cabinet. If I squint my eyes a little it's easy to imagine that it's the
glow of a tube filament.

Greg

Now there you go... I wonder if I could make a job out of installing several
orange or yellow LED's run on low current in solid state gear to give that
tube look to them..

Old July 11th 04, 08:06 AM
m II

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"Greg" wrote in message

My JRC NRD-525 has a red LED right inside the vent in the top of the metal
cabinet. If I squint my eyes a little it's easy to imagine that it's the
glow of a tube filament.

Greg

Now there you go... I wonder if I could make a job out of installing several
orange or yellow LED's run on low current in solid state gear to give that
tube look to them..

Good step one. Now, how to get a working 'cat's eye' tuner tube
equivalent...

mike

Old July 12th 04, 01:16 PM
Graeme Dennes

(New subject):

"Dan" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:06:56 GMT, m II
wrote:

Grundig S800, S650, S700, YB400, YB550PE, S350
Degen DE1102, Kaito KA1102
Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440

I intend to purchase a multi-band (world) DX receiver for global short wave
listening, as well as long-distance BCB. The list above from Dan seems to
include some of the most popularly used and discussed receivers available.

Could anyone assist me with their experiences by suggesting a priority
order - best to worst - for say half of them, based on performance and
features.

Also, what brands and models perform even better than those shown above, in
order of increasing cost?

TIA

Graeme