Old July 8th 04, 12:47 PM
jtaylor

Default Update on 12-year-old's SW radio

Grundig S350.

Up here in the Great White North getting a Tecsun from ebay would cost
almost as much as the S350 at Radio Shack, but still I wondered about
spending that much$.

Yesterday I went in and they had a flyer that said get the S350, get a
Grunding P100 free. The only S350 they had still had a sale sticker on it -
$20 off. For that combo, I bit - he can have the little one as well for
travel/camping.

Couldn't get him to go to bed last night.

"Listen - it's from SWEDEN!"

Worth it, as was the advice here; thanks all.

Old July 8th 04, 02:53 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "jtaylor"

Subject: Update on 12-year-old's SW radio
From: "jtaylor"
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:47:39 -0300

Grundig S350.

Up here in the Great White North getting a Tecsun from ebay would cost
almost as much as the S350 at Radio Shack, but still I wondered about
spending that much$.

Yesterday I went in and they had a flyer that said get the S350, get a
Grunding P100 free. The only S350 they had still had a sale sticker on it -
$20 off. For that combo, I bit - he can have the little one as well for
travel/camping.

Couldn't get him to go to bed last night.

"Listen - it's from SWEDEN!"

Worth it, as was the advice here; thanks all.

YESSSS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

- Thats how I felt, hearing all these strange broadcasts when I was a Kid..

Hope you get him a copy of Monitoring times or something similar;

& have fun with some antennas too!

Dan

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ire/index.html

Old July 8th 04, 06:56 PM
m II

Diverd4777 wrote:

YESSSS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

- Thats how I felt, hearing all these strange broadcasts when I was a Kid..

Hope you get him a copy of Monitoring times or something similar;

& have fun with some antennas too!

I still remember listening to the Shadow as I warmed my hands over the
little thermals set up by the 6V6 'valves'.

Transistors stole my childhood. Damn you Bell Labs! g

mike
Old July 8th 04, 09:37 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
In article , "jtaylor"

From: "jtaylor"
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:47:39 -0300

Grundig S350.

Up here in the Great White North getting a Tecsun from ebay would cost
almost as much as the S350 at Radio Shack, but still I wondered about
spending that much$.

Yesterday I went in and they had a flyer that said get the S350, get a
Grunding P100 free. The only S350 they had still had a sale sticker on

it -
$20 off. For that combo, I bit - he can have the little one as well for
travel/camping.

Couldn't get him to go to bed last night.

"Listen - it's from SWEDEN!"

Worth it, as was the advice here; thanks all.

YESSSS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

- Thats how I felt, hearing all these strange broadcasts when I was a

Kid..

Hope you get him a copy of Monitoring times or something similar;

Noooooo!! Don't ruin half the fun for him by taking the magic out of it by
giving him a schedule.. The thing about SW for a kid (and I remember it
well) is the thrill of discovery. Give him a schedule, and you take that
away.. kinda ruins the wonder part of the experience.

Old July 8th 04, 11:38 PM
starman

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

Noooooo!! Don't ruin half the fun for him by taking the magic out of it by
giving him a schedule.. The thing about SW for a kid (and I remember it
well) is the thrill of discovery. Give him a schedule, and you take that
away.. kinda ruins the wonder part of the experience.

Good point. Let him bandscan for a few months before suggesting a
program schedule. Otherwise he'll get focused on finding a particular
station instead of learning what there is to hear on the entire HF
spectrum.

Old July 9th 04, 01:20 AM
Diverd4777

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

Noooooo!! Don't ruin half the fun for him by taking the magic out of it by
giving him a schedule.. The thing about SW for a kid (and I remember it
well) is the thrill of discovery. Give him a schedule, and you take that
away.. kinda ruins the wonder part of the experience.

Good point. Let him bandscan for a few months before suggesting a
program schedule. Otherwise he'll get focused on finding a particular
station instead of learning what there is to hear on the entire HF
spectrum.

- I guess let HIM decide if & when he wants a broadcast schedule..
Had an old Hally; that had cities & countries on the dial;
- But didn't realize they weren't broadcasting all the time

Radio Moscow was cool, So was VOA, So was the BBC
& So were hams..
Iffen I'd known about Aircraft & Volmats & Police Broadcasts i'd have gone wild

Old July 9th 04, 01:33 AM
Al Dykes

In article , "jtaylor"

From: "jtaylor"
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:47:39 -0300

Grundig S350.

Up here in the Great White North getting a Tecsun from ebay would cost
almost as much as the S350 at Radio Shack, but still I wondered about
spending that much$.

Yesterday I went in and they had a flyer that said get the S350, get a
Grunding P100 free. The only S350 they had still had a sale sticker on it -
$20 off. For that combo, I bit - he can have the little one as well for
travel/camping.

Couldn't get him to go to bed last night.

"Listen - it's from SWEDEN!"

Worth it, as was the advice here; thanks all.

YESSSS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Great...

Next, buy the kid a globe.
--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old July 9th 04, 06:57 AM
Mark McCarthy

And a decent atlas, perhaps The Times World Atlas, Comprehensive Edition....

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

In article , "jtaylor"

Old July 9th 04, 01:27 PM
jtaylor

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote in message

Hope you get him a copy of Monitoring times or something similar;

Noooooo!! Don't ruin half the fun for him by taking the magic out of it

by
giving him a schedule.. The thing about SW for a kid (and I remember

it
well) is the thrill of discovery. Give him a schedule, and you take that
away.. kinda ruins the wonder part of the experience.

Went in last night to suggest he write down interesting station frequencies.
Started by picking up a little spiral-bound notepad on the desk and asked
him if it was empty. He sais "well almost" - I flip to the front page and
there are five freqs and a note beside each.

Old July 9th 04, 02:17 PM
Tony Meloche

Al Dykes wrote:

In article , "jtaylor"

From: "jtaylor"
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:47:39 -0300

Grundig S350.

Up here in the Great White North getting a Tecsun from ebay would cost
almost as much as the S350 at Radio Shack, but still I wondered about
spending that much$.

Yesterday I went in and they had a flyer that said get the S350, get a
Grunding P100 free. The only S350 they had still had a sale sticker on it -
$20 off. For that combo, I bit - he can have the little one as well for
travel/camping.

Couldn't get him to go to bed last night.

"Listen - it's from SWEDEN!"

Worth it, as was the advice here; thanks all.

YESSSS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Great...

Next, buy the kid a globe.
--
Al Dykes

Not a bad idea. As a novice SWL in the sixties, my most prized
possesion after the receiver and my copy of "White's" was a map of the
world on the wall in my shack.

Tony