Old July 21st 04, 04:54 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

I have a friend who is an RX-340 expert and also someone else in this
group have pointed out that the writer is either: a) using out of
date firmware b) does not know how to use the RX-340

#####################################What constitutes an expert?

+++++++++mike writes+++++++someone who knows more about the 340 than Ten-Tec
support does, my friend does.

the RX-340 is NOT a plug and play receiver, it takes experience and
training to take advantage of, like a racing car.

########################## Baloney. It is no more difficult to use than my

R8B or AOR7030+. I
would say of the three the AOR7030+ is the hardest to use with its menu
system.

+++++++++++++++mike writes++++++maybe you don't know how to use the 340
either,,,,,,,tell me all about configuring the AGC system

snip

What's to configure? There are three choices Slow, Medium, fast and one
programmable setting. The programmable setting can set the Attack, hang
and decay. I figured out what I wanted by looking at the other three
settings and experimented with it a little to get what I wanted. No big
deal. There is an AGC dump button that kills the AGC for as long as you
hold it. What am I missing?

I think Ten-Tec support is pretty good. I spoke to them a few times
about the radio and they were both knowledgeable and friendly.

Now I'll return the favor to you and put "your friend" on the spot and
see if he can answer this question. What function is always on when you
first turn on the radio on even if the function is turned off when the
radio is power off. You won't find the answer in the manual.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 21st 04, 04:57 AM
Telamon

In article , starman
wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Those four receivers are hardly the only top ones. Does he plan to
review some of the other high end receivers?

I don't care if he does. I thought the reviews were a little odd in what
he wanted the radios to do and found some of the information to be
misleading. I certainly disagree with his conclusions.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 21st 04, 05:30 AM
mike maghakian

I have a LONG list of people who would they the are NEITHER knowledgeable
nor friendly

I called them several times and thought they were all a bunch of ****heads.
when I complain about a $1300 receiver that has a BAD sync detector and they
tell me to use ECSS, that constitutes a ****head in my opinion. my friend
had serious issues with the support on 340 until he got a hold of a vice
president.

the list could go on and on.

Old July 21st 04, 06:34 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

I have a LONG list of people who would they the are NEITHER knowledgeable
nor friendly

I called them several times and thought they were all a bunch of ****heads.
when I complain about a $1300 receiver that has a BAD sync detector and they
tell me to use ECSS, that constitutes a ****head in my opinion. my friend
had serious issues with the support on 340 until he got a hold of a vice
president.

the list could go on and on.

I think Ten-Tec support is pretty good. I spoke to them a few times
about the radio and they were both knowledgeable and friendly.

Well chalk it up to bad attitude on your part then. There is nothing
wrong with them and my experience with them is worth more than all "the
people you know" that did not like them.

If you are talking about a $1300 radio then you have the wrong model.
The RX-340 is about $4 K.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 21st 04, 11:16 PM
dxAce

RHF wrote:

DXing.Info used the Article Header
"Comparing Four Great Communications Receivers"

They presented a PDF File of a 'One-Man's-Opinion' concerning
four(4) good radios. They did not represent this as being the
end-all or be-all list of all the 'greatest' and/or
'top-of-the-line' receivers.

Hey - You do the best you can with what you got. ~ RHF

And then one day you wake up and say... 'I gotta have a Drake'.

dxAce

Old July 22nd 04, 01:19 AM
4nradio

Telamon,

That was a good point you made earlier about the author's insistence on
using filters 4 kHz for SSB. I clearly missed that. I think it's only fair
though that we note it was dxing.info that gave the article the presumptive
title "Comparing Four Great Communications Receivers... Testing the top
receivers". Jan Alvestad just called it "Comparison Test" when he sent me
the piece, prior to it appearing on the web.

I personally think the RX340 is easy to operate. At the last Grayland
DXpedition June 9-11 I DX'ed with one alongside my modded Racal and ICOM
receivers. it was very intuitive to use, at least for the DX targets I was
tuning (Aussie & So. Pacific mediumwave and some tropical band
broadcasters).

Over 15 years of DXing from the WA coast I've found that all of the
"serious" receivers have performed within an eyelash (or two) of each other
for foreign mediumwave and tropical band DX. We use good splitters like
Stridsberg, Mini-Circuits and the like, as well as high-IP3 preamps
distributing RF from the Beverage antennas. We make each installation as
RF-sanitary as possible. So, each receiver typically gets the same signals
as the others, allowing for fair comparisons.

As I think back over many, many receiver comparisons and discussions during
these DXpeditions, there isn't a single receiver that stands out in my mind
as being *clearly*, indisputably the king-of-the-hill. One or another might
detect audio on a faint signal a couple minutes before another rig, but by
the time the signal is strong enough to begin revealing discernable details
(IDs, etc.), all the top-grade receivers are providing useful audio also.

In this DXpedition environment, I think the real differences come down to:

-propagation at the moment
-antenna(s) in use
-skill & patience of the DXer
-luck!

If I was forced to name a top-dog receiver among those models I've listened
to at Grayland over the years, it would be a foursome: Collins HF-2050, WJ
HF-1000 (or equiv. 8711A), Ten-Tec RX340, and Winradio G303i. Note that
these are all IF-DSP receivers! To my ears, they provide a slight but
noticeable edge in audio recovery (readability) in really tough DX
situations.

In a typical suburban, high-RF environment with local MW & other
broadcasters nearby, the digital frontends of these four rigs might wilt. In
this case I'd place my bets on the AR7030 and other all-analog receivers
with excellent close-in dynamics. My friend's Elecraft K2 transceiver would
also likely do very well amidst strong signals (if it could have general
coverage capability :^) My modded R75 and RA6790GM receivers have no
problems with my Beverage antennas in the city, either.

Anyway, keep up the good discussion on receivers. I almost forgot it was
rec.radio.shortwave for a while!

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Old July 22nd 04, 02:12 AM
mike maghakian

do you realize how childish you sound ? your one experience is worthless to
me and all the others who are far more knowledgeable than you. you are a
legend only in your own mind.

First I did NOT have a bad attitude and I don't like you saying so without
knowing what you are talking about

the people I reference are people so important I can not mention their
names, one is a reviewer for passport and the other is one of the most
famous radio people in the world,
another is a very brilliant ham tech, and another is a DXer of over 25 years
and former owner of an HF-1000

also remember what ASSume means well you made an $@# of yourself with the
second comment
1) I never claimed to own a 340, I do not own one.
2) the $1300 receiver was a Ten-Tec RX-350 which I owned and dumped because
it was so bad and the ten-tec attidude towards supporting it is so bad. next
month will be TWO years since the last firmware update. PATHETIC to the MAX

I am sure you are so smart you already know that a 350 is NOT a junior 340

Telemon , your attitude sucks, you better fix it quick

Old July 22nd 04, 03:03 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

do you realize how childish you sound ? your one experience is
worthless to me and all the others who are far more knowledgeable
than you. you are a legend only in your own mind.

First I did NOT have a bad attitude and I don't like you saying so
without knowing what you are talking about

I don't sound childish but you sure do and yes you do have a bad
attitude according to what you posted and unlike you I do know what I am
posting about.

the people I reference are people so important I can not mention
their names, one is a reviewer for passport and the other is one of
the most famous radio people in the world, another is a very
brilliant ham tech, and another is a DXer of over 25 years and former
owner of an HF-1000

I'm so important that you should be bringing me gifts and praise but
instead you choose to insult me which is just another sign of your
ignorance.

You don't know who I am do you? I have more experience in my little
pinky than you and "your friends" combined. Other than the time I spend
posting here I do really, really important things far beyond what you
and your friends could ever imagine doing. Don't worry about me though
I'm so positively brilliant that it does not take much effort to preform
these technically difficult feats every day.

I just post here just to relax and interact with the common folk such as
yourself. You do seem a little dimer than most though and I find myself
becoming weary of your silly error ridden posts.

also remember what ASSume means well you made an $@# of yourself with
the second comment 1) I never claimed to own a 340, I do not own one.
2) the $1300 receiver was a Ten-Tec RX-350 which I owned and dumped
because it was so bad and the ten-tec attidude towards supporting it
is so bad. next month will be TWO years since the last firmware
update. PATHETIC to the MAX

The review was about the RX-340 not the 350. I figured you had the wrong
radio in mind when you posted the cost at $1300.

I suppose its Ten-Tec's fault that you bought a radio you did not like.

Grow up.

I am sure you are so smart you already know that a 350 is NOT a
junior 340

Yes I know that. You should pay better attention next time.

Telemon , your attitude sucks, you better fix it quick

My attitude is just fine thank you very much.

Old July 22nd 04, 03:46 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

so what is your REAL name so we can verify your greatness

I'm sorry. I am so important that I can't tell you. At stake is nothing
less than the entire short wave hobby. It would be just to great a risk
to reveal my REAL name.

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.