Old August 24th 04, 03:48 AM
Bob

Default Antenna tuners

Hello, I rescently baught a 7600GR. I'm planning on putting up 80 to 90
foot longwire/random wire between my house and a large tree.

Any input on the following tuners? I'm a newbie with this kinda stuff.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

-and-

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Several have suggested a passive one. The list cost on these seems
rather high, are there cheaper tuner/preselector options without giving
up quality/usefullness?

Secondly, would a low pass filter still be useful with a tuner?

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 24th 04, 04:21 AM
Mark S. Holden

Bob wrote:

Hello, I rescently baught a 7600GR. I'm planning on putting up 80 to 90
foot longwire/random wire between my house and a large tree.

Any input on the following tuners? I'm a newbie with this kinda stuff.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

-and-

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

Several have suggested a passive one. The list cost on these seems
rather high, are there cheaper tuner/preselector options without giving
up quality/usefullness?

Secondly, would a low pass filter still be useful with a tuner?

Thanks,
Bob

Of the two, I'd go for the passive one. You certainly won't need gain
with that setup.

If the preselector alone isn't enough, you might look to add a variable
attenuator to prevent overloading. You can make one of these dirt cheap.

But actually, I'd consider going with a much smaller antenna, away from
the house with an impedance matching transformer, and use the savings to
start a table top radio fund.

If you're putting up an 80 foot antenna, I'd expect you'll want a table
top before long anyway.

You can always expand the antenna when you have a radio that's better
equipped to handle it.

Old August 24th 04, 04:35 AM
Bob

Mark S. Holden wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

The sony 7600GR has one built in, with a dial on the side to adjust it.

I'm hoping that and the preselector does the job.
If not, I'll use more nylon rope and shorten the antenna.

But actually, I'd consider going with a much smaller antenna, away from
the house with an impedance matching transformer, and use the savings to
start a table top radio fund.

If you're putting up an 80 foot antenna, I'd expect you'll want a table
top before long anyway.

You can always expand the antenna when you have a radio that's better
equipped to handle it.

Thanks for the input.

-Bob
Old August 24th 04, 04:37 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

[...]

Excellent advice Mark,
Far more advantage can be gained by using a matching UNUN and proper shield
grounding- otherwise noise from the house is conducted right out to the
antenna. A lot cheaper and less knobs to fool with too.

Old August 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Eric R.Ortega

Bob wrote:

[...]

noob

I have been lurking for a while but I need to ask a question he

I am new SW listening (actually, I am recently returned to the hobby). I am
not an expert. I see this thread talking about how to build (various styles)
of antenna, but no schematics. I think that I understand the concepts but an
actual drawing would be helpful. A generic parts list would be even better.
I do tend to overload my little portable with a 20 foot longwire so anything
to improve/refine the reception would be a huge help.

Thanks

Eric
/noob

Old August 24th 04, 07:17 PM
Mark S. Holden

"Eric R.Ortega" wrote:
noob

I have been lurking for a while but I need to ask a question he

I am new SW listening (actually, I am recently returned to the hobby). I am
not an expert. I see this thread talking about how to build (various styles)
of antenna, but no schematics. I think that I understand the concepts but an
actual drawing would be helpful. A generic parts list would be even better.
I do tend to overload my little portable with a 20 foot longwire so anything
to improve/refine the reception would be a huge help.

Thanks

Eric
/noob

Hi

Here's a link with some helpful information:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/feed/

For a random wire antenna, you'd want something in the range of a 9:1 impedance matching transformer or unun.

Otherwise, feel free to ask questions, there are plenty of folks here who are happy to help.

Regards,

Mark

Old August 25th 04, 09:59 PM
clifto

Mark S. Holden wrote:
I doubt you'll need a preselector when you get a table top.

Depends. Some older units could benefit. I'm sure my FRG-7 would see a
tad bit of improvement. I *know* my NC-100 would perk up.

--
If Kerry can't cope with the "Republican Attack Machine",
how can he hope to deal with Al Qaeda?
Old August 26th 04, 12:01 AM
Mark S. Holden

clifto wrote:
Mark S. Holden wrote:

I doubt you'll need a preselector when you get a table top.

Depends. Some older units could benefit. I'm sure my FRG-7 would see a
tad bit of improvement. I *know* my NC-100 would perk up.

I was thinking more modern radios, and for that matter, probably ones
that are better than average.