Old August 26th 04, 10:48 AM
dxAce

Default Deutsche Welle-75 meter DRM QRM

I have sent this message to DW's frequency manager via their website:

Dear Sirs:

Your choice of 3995 kHz to conduct DRM tests is a disaster for the
amateur
radio service. American hams have learned to live with broadcasters and
utilities in this part of the band, but demolishing a solid 10 kHz of
bandwidth is totally inexcusable. Please consider ceasing these
transmissions or retiming them so that they will not propagate to North
America.

Destroying a major portion of a busy band is no way to win fans for DRM
or
for Deutsche Welle.

Sincerely,

Al Quaglieri
Amateur radio NN2U and shortwave listener
NY
(via HardCoreDX)

dxAce

Old August 28th 04, 01:36 AM
Robert Sillett

It is interesting that your definition of destroying the band is completely
opposite of mine. I thoroughly enjoy Deutsche Welle, especially auf
Deutsch, and will take the DW DRM transmissions instead of the old coots on
80 meters every day!

I have been eagerly looking forward to fall/winter when 3995 starts to boom
into North America. I'll have to check out the frequency tonight.

Now if we could just get the idiot preacher to sign off 6090 at night so I
could listen to Radio Luxembourg in DRM....

Bob, N3OEA

Old August 28th 04, 02:31 AM
mike0219116

Well, Dr. Scott is 75 years old so he could probably go at anytime, but I
bet they'll rerun his stuff on 6090 long after he's gone. That Caribbean
Beacon blasts his teachin' 24/7.

Now...git' on the telephone!

Old August 28th 04, 10:35 AM
dxAce

Robert Sillett wrote:

It is interesting that your definition of destroying the band is completely
opposite of mine.

Please note that those are not MY comments to DW.

dxAce

Old September 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Tom Holden

"Robert Sillett" wrote in message

I have been eagerly looking forward to fall/winter when 3995 starts to

boom
into North America. I'll have to check out the frequency tonight.

I have received the odd snippet of successfully decoded audio in Toronto
this summer between 0200 and 0300 when DW is at 11.64 kbps. I'd swear that
with the signal strength delivered, AM would be perfectly intelligible.

There seems to be deliberate interference from time-to-time. A carrier with
what sounds like a chain saw modulation pops up. Looking at the spectrum
display, the DRM shape is quite rectangular and the interferor spikes above
it. One could imagine a saw cutting through the DRM log!

Tom