Old September 4th 04, 09:08 PM
David

Default Most sensitive portable poll

What is the most overall sensitive portable (under $200) for receiving
SW/MW/FM signals? From reading reviews the Degen 1102 and 1103 seem up
there, along with the Sony 7600GR. I use to own the Radio Shack DX-440 (aka
Sangean 803a)
and it was darn good for picking up SW and MW , with a long wire attached.
The best portable I had with just the whip was the Grundig YB 305.
Interesting to hear other opnions.

Old September 4th 04, 10:28 PM
David

An analog single-conversion radio with a sliderule dial is probably
the ''most sensitive'' in that price range, but that doesn't mean
you'd be happy with it.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_choosing.html

Old September 5th 04, 01:07 AM
Dale Parfitt

"David" wrote in message
What is the most overall sensitive portable (under $200) for receiving
SW/MW/FM signals? From reading reviews the Degen 1102 and 1103 seem up
there, along with the Sony 7600GR. I use to own the Radio Shack DX-440

(aka
Sangean 803a)
and it was darn good for picking up SW and MW , with a long wire attached.
The best portable I had with just the whip was the Grundig YB 305.
Interesting to hear other opnions.

Sensitivity is perhaps the least important parameter to be considered in a
SW or MW receiver where the noise floor is limited by atmospheric/galactic
noise.
Try this- turn up the volume on your receiver w/o the antenna connected. If
the noise goes up when you connect the antenna, you have plenty of
sensitivity- now start looking at the important parameters like selectivity,
dynamic range, IP3 etc.

Dale W4OP

Old September 5th 04, 06:45 AM
starman

David wrote:

What is the most overall sensitive portable (under $200) for receiving
SW/MW/FM signals? From reading reviews the Degen 1102 and 1103 seem up
there, along with the Sony 7600GR. I use to own the Radio Shack DX-440 (aka
Sangean 803a)
and it was darn good for picking up SW and MW , with a long wire attached.
The best portable I had with just the whip was the Grundig YB 305.
Interesting to hear other opnions.

The Tecsun S-350 will probably be one of the most sensitive because of
it's analog tuning but it doesn't fair well in other areas such as
selectivity and image rejection.

Old September 5th 04, 12:52 PM
Diverd4777

I do believe that the JWIN JX -M14 is one of the most sensitive portable
receivers out there;
Even Picks up Radio waves from Outer space;
- Of course adding an external antenna helps quite a bit;

But, as with other cheap sets, it lets in everything;

So you can hear your favorite weak Shortwave broadcast
Mixed in amongst Gypsy cabs, Police cars and Airport Air / Ground traffic...

Selectivity is really the way to go IMHO

Dan / NYC

Old September 5th 04, 12:55 PM
Jay

Degen 1103 just about matches a Sony 2010 for raw sensitivity (although the
2010 will resolve some tough signals better).

The Sony 7600GR is good too for sensitivity, and the Grundig S-350/Tecsun
BCL2000.

Jay