Old September 15th 04, 07:25 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Eric F. Richards wrote:
m II wrote:

Anyone hooked up any photovoltaic panels for battery charging? I've been
offered two 75 watt panels and it might be fun to power some small loads
through a battery storage setup.

Major pitfalls? Clouds?

(off to do some research...)

I'd tell you how to do it if you weren't such a hateful ****head. In
other words, you're on your own.

So anyone with a concern for truth and justice, (and a bit of a flippant
attitude) is hateful?

Solar cells have a voltage vs. current curve that's roughly square.

|___ Open Circuit voltage
| ====____. maximum power point
V| \ \
| \ \ "Constant" Current
| \ \
| \ \
|---------------
I ^ available current depends on incident light

The no load voltage is determined by quantum physics and is roughly
constant. The current available is determined by the cell area and
the incident sunlight.

In practical terms, if you don't put the cells in a situation where
they're outputting enough current to damage their internal wiring,
you can hook them up and they'll provide a roughly constant current for
charging a battery. You wouldn't want to use too high a voltage array,
as you could damage the battery. And if the sunlight goes away, as it
does every day, leakage back through the cell can discharge the battery.
So the simple "chargers" I've seen where switches to disconnect the
battery when its voltage got too high, or there wasn't enough sunlight.

If you want to be cost effective, you get a fancy charger that
transforms the load on the solar array to the maximum power point
to get the most bang for the buck.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old September 15th 04, 09:56 PM
Eric F. Richards

(Mark Zenier) wrote:

So anyone with a concern for truth and justice, (and a bit of a flippant
attitude) is hateful?

If his concern was about "truth and justice" AND he'd redirect his
postings to ANY politics group instead of flooding us with them here,
it would be a different story.

In my OPINION (note that I know when to use that word), his worldview
is colored by an unfortunate anti-US bias that a small but vocal
minority in Canada have. Were you here 'round 9/11/01? Remember
psycho-Jim, who was mad on 9/11 for two reasons? 1) not enough
Americans were killed and 2) he couldn't get any music on his radio
that day?

As for his point of view, I might share some of his views. But I
would never, ever consider him an objective observer.

|---------------
I ^ available current depends on incident light

The no load voltage is determined by quantum physics and is roughly
constant. The current available is determined by the cell area and
the incident sunlight.

In practical terms, if you don't put the cells in a situation where
they're outputting enough current to damage their internal wiring,
you can hook them up and they'll provide a roughly constant current for
charging a battery. You wouldn't want to use too high a voltage array,
as you could damage the battery.

Bzzzzzt. You were doing fine up to there. Unless you are addressing
alkaline (Ni-Cd) batteries instead of Lead-acid batteries

And if the sunlight goes away, as it
does every day, leakage back through the cell can discharge the battery.

Bzzzzt. Minor problem, not a concern unless you have massively
parallel arrays.

So the simple "chargers" I've seen where switches to disconnect the
battery when its voltage got too high, or there wasn't enough sunlight.

Bzzzt. All chargers are solid-state, PWM based.

If you want to be cost effective, you get a fancy charger that
transforms the load on the solar array to the maximum power point
to get the most bang for the buck.

Back on track again.

Mark Zenier
Washington State resident

Obontopic: 14.325 USB hopping, a report of a tornado tearing through
Panama City -- Back Beach Road.

--
Eric F. Richards,

"Don't destroy the Earth! That's where I keep all of my stuff!"
- Squidd on
www.fark.com
Old September 16th 04, 03:20 AM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:38:02 GMT, m II
wrote:

Eric F. Richards wrote:

I'd tell you how to do it if you weren't such a hateful ****head. In
other words, you're on your own.

I'm hurt.

I hate seeing a country on the other side of the globe invaded and
destroyed for political and monetary gain by a bunch of corrupt, immoral
monsters.

There is NO evidence to support being there.

I'm sorry we disagree on that and I hope you can sleep with your conscience.

I must memorize this paralyzingly clear logic you use in
refutation to the prior posting.
Old September 16th 04, 04:37 AM
m II

|---------------
I ^ available current depends on incident light

The no load voltage is determined by quantum physics and is roughly
constant. The current available is determined by the cell area and
the incident sunlight.

I laid out the panels on the lawn today. It was overcast and I had about
a forty five degree from the panel to the sun. I measured the short
circuit current at **1** amp. That's disgusting. The rated current in
specified light is roughly 4.5 amps per panel. I've paralleled them and
put the bypass diodes in. I also added a blocking diode in each one, as
I want to parallel a small toyish windmill laster on. Open circuit
voltage was a bit over 20 volts.

That 1 amp is troubling. I'll try again at noon tomorrow and pray it
improves.

In practical terms, if you don't put the cells in a situation where
they're outputting enough current to damage their internal wiring,
you can hook them up and they'll provide a roughly constant current for
charging a battery. You wouldn't want to use too high a voltage array,
as you could damage the battery. And if the sunlight goes away, as it
does every day, leakage back through the cell can discharge the battery.
So the simple "chargers" I've seen where switches to disconnect the
battery when its voltage got too high, or there wasn't enough sunlight.

Hopefully the blocking diode is of use.

If you want to be cost effective, you get a fancy charger that
transforms the load on the solar array to the maximum power point
to get the most bang for the buck.

I did a search for that when I saw your post. This one looks
straightforward. I'm wondering if the paralleled setup will work ok, or
if one of these is needed per panel..

http://www.solorb.com/elect/solarcirc/scc2/

This thing is getting interesting. I think I might have found a few 12
volt (six individual cells) fork lift batteries. If they're any good,
I'll be in photovoltaic paradise...

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Thank you kindly

mike

Old September 16th 04, 10:32 AM
Mike Terry

|---------------
[...]

Can I put the solar cells in my basement?

Mike Terry.

Old September 16th 04, 03:54 PM
MnMikew

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
om...
Can I put the solar cells in my basement?

Mike Terry.

Sure, right next to your non-existent radios.

Old September 16th 04, 07:46 PM
Mark Zenier

|---------------
I ^ available current depends on incident light

The no load voltage is determined by quantum physics and is roughly
constant. The current available is determined by the cell area and
the incident sunlight.

In practical terms, if you don't put the cells in a situation where
they're outputting enough current to damage their internal wiring,
you can hook them up and they'll provide a roughly constant current for
charging a battery. You wouldn't want to use too high a voltage array,
as you could damage the battery.

Bzzzzzt. You were doing fine up to there. Unless you are addressing
alkaline (Ni-Cd) batteries instead of Lead-acid batteries

Er, alkaline batteries are primary cells usually, except for those doggy
Rayovac rechargeables. And why would anybody use Nicads or NiMH cells
on a stationary system? Too small, too expensive. For Mike, at
a max of 4.5 amps, a single marine deep discharge lead acid would
probably be good enough.

And if the sunlight goes away, as it
does every day, leakage back through the cell can discharge the battery.

Bzzzzt. Minor problem, not a concern unless you have massively
parallel arrays.

So the simple "chargers" I've seen where switches to disconnect the
battery when its voltage got too high, or there wasn't enough sunlight.

Bzzzt. All chargers are solid-state, PWM based.

Not if you build your own. (Or dig back and look at a few magazine
construction projects).

If you want to be cost effective, you get a fancy charger that
transforms the load on the solar array to the maximum power point
to get the most bang for the buck.

Back on track again.

And if you're just hacking around, you probably won't want to spend
the $$$ for one if it only gets you from 50 watts to 80 watts.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1420 - October 29, 2004 Radionews Broadcasting 0 October 30th 04 05:28 PM
Solar cell modules maxfoo Homebrew 252 April 30th 04 03:09 AM
Solar cell modules maxfoo Homebrew 0 April 11th 04 03:11 PM
More power questions Jack Twilley General 0 November 14th 03 08:31 PM
Derivation of the Reflection Coefficient? Dr. Slick Antenna 104 September 6th 03 02:27 AM