Old September 16th 04, 04:42 PM
Lucky

Nice looking the 550. If it doesn't use a tuning knob, what is it scan only
or direct entry?

Are they quality made? Never heard of Harris sorry to say. I wish I could
buy them all.

I appreciate the offer Mark, thanks.

I switch around radios like every 2-3 weeks but this new remote for the
R-5000 really is nice. Hard to put it down!

I'm going to do some research on it.

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

Hi

I'm pretty new to SW radio. Not even a year into the hobby. I'm getting
more
and more into looking around for obscure SSB stations and weak muddy
stations. All in all I want to own the best within price constraints so I
know I'm working with good equipment and if I can't get a certain staion
in
it's my own fault and/or my antenna.

I think the NRD-525 is pretty good as well as the r-5000 really. I just
wondered if I bought the Drake and if I were in dark, would I notice
anything different about the Drake.

But you guys have given me the main reasons so far.

Well, for what you're looking to do, I think I'd consider something other
than the Drake.

Here's the radio I enjoy the most:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4673&item=57204600 58&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I know nothing about the seller, or the condition of his radio.

It's a lifestyle choice - it's probably a little larger than the Sat 800,
and weighs about 50 pounds. It has no memories - it doesn't even use a
tuning knob. But it's great at digging stuff out of the mud and making it
sound good. I've owned newer and
more expensive military radios, but never a better performer, or one that
was easier on the ears. It has sideband selectable sync detection, (They
call it AFC) and a fancy AGC circuit that doesn't get easily confused.

My other suggestion is smaller, more expensive, has convenience features
and if you put in the right filters can sound almost as good - the AOR
AR7030+
You'll pay about $1000 for a used one. I have one I set up as a
"transportable" for camping trips and vacations.

But for home use, if I could only have one, I'd go with a 550 - even if it
was more expensive than the 7030. (and it shouldn't be)

You might also consider an Icom R75. I've never tried one. Folks say
it's a great radio, but to get them to work the way they're supposed to,
you need to modify them with a couple dollars worth of parts. The idea
people who aren't engineers can greatly
improve a radio for pocket change is enough to keep me away. I'd revise
my feelings if Icom incorporated the most common mods in the next batch
they made.

If you're interested in radios, a good book to get is "Shortwave Receivers
Past and Present" by Fred Osterman. Universal Radio sells it. It has
basic information and specs for hundreds of radios. But it's overdue for
an update - many of the current
model tabletops aren't in it.

Good luck with your hunt, and if you end up with a 550, feel free to email
me for tips on how to use the AFC and coherent AGC. It's actually quite
easy, but I can save you an hour or two of guessing.

Old September 16th 04, 05:06 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

Nice looking the 550. If it doesn't use a tuning knob, what is it scan only
or direct entry?

That one has the RF-583 tuning option. It has six up/down paddle switches with a carry borrow feature. You push the paddle up to increase the digit it's under, and down to decrease it. For scanning, you'd hold the far right one (or the next to last
one) up or down as you listen.

It has a "fast" button so you can scan faster.

I can go from one frequency to another known frequency very quickly.

I don't like the ones without the 583 option. They use 10 position slide switches for tuning. Pretty clunky. Fortunately, most have the 583.

Are they quality made? Never heard of Harris sorry to say. I wish I could
buy them all.

Most Harris radios are built for the government.

They're built like tanks. The outer cabinet is roughly 1/8" aluminum, and most of the modules inside are individually shielded in aluminum that's about 1/16" thick. The car I'd compare it to would be an early 80's Rolls Royce.

They are very reliable.

Old September 16th 04, 06:25 PM
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

Lucky wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark!

How does the Harris 550 perform on MW BCB? Is it better than a Drake
R8/8A/8B ?

Thanks,

Margaret

Old September 16th 04, 07:28 PM
Michael

"Lucky" wrote in message
Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Hiya, Lucky....

I don't know if you want your next new radio to be ideal for program
listening, DX'ing, utility or all three :-) You already have the NRD-525 and
the R-5000. I have used the R-5000 and I can say as you can that it is a
GREAT radio. I like it quite a bit. I have also used my friends R8A and
his R8B. I have read posts that say the R-5000 sounds as good as the R-5000
for program listening, but I dont think so. I think the R-5000 sounds very
good, and I think it is a very versatile radio, but I still dont think it
sounds as good as the R8A. As for the R8B... When you are program listening
and have conditions of fade and or strong adjacent signals, I have NEVER
heard anything deal with it as good as the R8B. It keeps it nice and steady
and the ssb selectable am sync allows you to listen to a signal that may be
getting splashed from above or below without having to put up with the
muffled sound that you get by going to a narrow filter setting. So... If
you want the "King" for program listening, I think the R8B will beat every
radio you have.

Now... If you want to do some serious DX'ing... I may be able to offer a
suggestion.... Currently, I use an R-75 with all the Kiwa mods... I have
found it to be good for both program listening and for DX'ing. For DX'ing,
I almost always use the R-75 in ssb mode. If found it to be great for doing
that. I think it is better for DX'ing then the R8 or the R8A and R8B. With
the Kiwa mods, it is also respectable as a radio for program listening. Not
as good as the R8 series for program listening, but it is adequate. The one
amazing feature of the R-75 given its good performance and features... The
Price... I got mine brand new with the free DSP module for just under
$500.00. But.... As of the past few months, I have really been interested in
getting a new true DSP rig for DX'ing. One of the first rigs I thought of
was the NRD-545. After some reading, advice and research, I have come to a
radio I didn't even know existed. I have not yet used it, but everything I
have read and heard shows that it would be exactly what I would hope for as
far as DX'ing performance.... It is the ICOM IC-746Pro. It seems to be a
primeDSP rig for DX'ing. I never would have thought to look at transceivers
as I am not a ham, but I have to admit, it looks to be the direction I want
to go in. I'm probably going to buy one soon. If I do get one, I'll
probably also study to get a ham ticket, being that it also has a
transmitter. It might be fun. Also.. I wouldn't buy a used radio, but I
have seen used 746Pro's selling for just under $1,000 bucks because there
are serious defects in the transmitter section. No problem there, though,
if you only want it for receiving. It would be a bargain to have a receiver
like that for under $1,000.

So.... For top quality program listening... The R8B.... For non DSP DX'ing,
The R-75. For DSP SUPER DX'ing, The 746Pro. For best over all versatility,
the R8B. For best value for dollar... R-75.

Hope that helps

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old September 16th 04, 08:30 PM
Mark S. Holden

Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:

Hi Mark!

How does the Harris 550 perform on MW BCB? Is it better than a Drake
R8/8A/8B ?

Thanks,

Margaret

I'm not really interested in MW Dx, so I'm not the best person to answer this question.

There is some attenuation on the MW frequencies - If you'd like I can look up how much and what frequency it starts at when I get home.

Otherwise, the AFC and coherent AGC work on MW.

Coherent AGC takes the AGC reading through a 500hz filter regardless of what filter you're listening through.

It also has 126 or 130db of dynamic range. (Haven't read the manual in a couple years.)

I almost always listen in sideband mode because the AFC and Coherent AGC don't work in other modes. Coherent AGC won't work without AFC.

For RTTY decoding, I got better results with the AFC turned off.

One of the things I like about the Harris is the filters are kind of wide - but they have a good shape factor, so audio quality is good, but selectivity has never been a problem. On AM & CW you can choose between 500, 6khz and if you enjoy listening to
hets in the background, 16khz. On Sideband it's always 3.2khz.

The 550 comes equipped for ISB reception too. (Both sidebands with one coming through the internal speaker, and the other on terminals on the rear.)

Let me know if you'd like me to check specs for MW attenuation or dynamic range.

Regards,

Mark
Old September 16th 04, 09:26 PM
[...]

That would be very kind of you, Mark. I'm just thrilled by your desription
of its audio quality. Exactly what I want. I wonder if someone could remove
the MW attenuation.

Thanks,

Margaret

Old September 16th 04, 09:28 PM
Al Patrick

Mark,

I'd say they are probably as good as the Drake series. While we're
discussing questions on the Harris 550 why don't you tell us which one
you think *might* come nearer surviving an EMP attack! ;-)

Al

============

Old September 17th 04, 12:01 AM
Mark S. Holden

[...]

It is the sort of radio you can listen to for hours at a time without
listener fatigue.

The manual indicates sensitivity is 1.5uv max for Am, and .35uv max for
sideband. (at 10db (s+n)/n ) It just says sensitivity is reduced below
1.5mhz

The radio has half octave filters on the input - a very quick Look at
the schematic leads me to feel you could adjust or eliminate the
attenuation by tweaking the value of a 470 ohm resistor.

Dynamic range is rated at 125db.

Near as I can tell, two of the keys to good audio quality are dynamic
range, and wide filters with steep skirts.

My AOR ar7030+ also has good dynamic range, and the sideband filter I
use with it is a 3.24khz crystal filter intended for a Racal 6790/gm.
It has a shape factor of 1:1.33 The radio reads it as 2.9khz.