Old September 29th 04, 07:58 AM
Ashley Jones

Default Need suggestions for antique radio repair in the Bay Area, California

I was wondering if anyone knows how to find a repair shop/person that can
service my 1962 Grundig Rossini record player/radio stereo console. I think
the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs to be oiled,
nothing major.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement
for the dual 1010 (that will fit this console) if I decide to buy one off of
ebay, etc.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

Old September 29th 04, 10:34 AM
Richard Steinfeld

"Ashley Jones" wrote in message
| I was wondering if anyone knows how to find a repair
shop/person that can
| service my 1962 Grundig Rossini record player/radio stereo
console. I think
| the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs to
be oiled,
| nothing major.

Paul Margen in Berkeley, but, alas, he died a year ago.
Try checking with an electronics parts shop where professionals
buy to see which of their customers they think might be good. Al
Lasher's in Berkeley is a good start; I don't know where you're
located -- there are undoubtedly others who I'm blanking on right
now.

| Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a
replacement
| for the dual 1010 (that will fit this console) if I decide to
buy one off of
| ebay, etc.?
|
| Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is possible that a better Dual will work. I'm thinking of the
1009, 1009SK, and the 1019 (most advanced of the three). I'm not
familiar with the 1010, but it would be unusual indeed for any
console manufacturer to put a truly good model in any consumer
product -- and this includes the German brands. Different models
in a given brand often mount the in the same cutout, so one of
these three models may just drop in (or it might not). These are
very high-quality small-sized changers, so small that their 11
1/2 inch platters actually hang over the edge of their
deckplates. Your console probably was made to work with a
high-output ceramic cartridge, but you'll do better with these
machines by using a better magnetic cartridge along with a small,
affordable phono preamp. There's probably some unused space
inside the cabinet where the preamp can be mounted.

There was also a very nice ELAC/Miracord 40A that was almost as
small as those Duals, but it would not mount in the same cutout.
It was also sold by a few channels, including Radio Shack. The
machines I've mentioned are all excellent quality, very heavy,
and rugged. With tweaking, the Dual 1019 becomes close to budget
audiophile quality, exceeding the performance of your console.

I recommend against buying any turntable long-distance. It's a
rare seller who knows to pack it properly. I know of eighteen
bashed-up turntables bought on eBay. You can check on Craig's
List, or call The Soundwell -- a used stereo shop in Berkeley,
for appropriate changers that you can drive home in your own car.
These changers can benefit from a thorough
cleaning/lubrication/adjustment, especially after all these
years.

Richard

Old September 29th 04, 12:10 PM
Mark

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message
Paul Margen in Berkeley, but, alas, he died a year ago.

Brilliant!

Perhaps you can recommend some fabulous DX catches that are no longer on the
air?

Mark.

Old September 29th 04, 01:55 PM
Brian McAllister

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:34:09 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
wrote:

It is possible that a better Dual will work. I'm thinking of the
1009, 1009SK, and the 1019 (most advanced of the three). I'm not
familiar with the 1010, but it would be unusual indeed for any
console manufacturer to put a truly good model in any consumer
product -- and this includes the German brands. Different models
in a given brand often mount the in the same cutout, so one of
these three models may just drop in (or it might not).

Those models will be a drop in replacement, as will other models of
the 1000 series with model numbers of 1009 or higher. Some models of
the 1200 series will also use the same cutout.

Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
Old September 29th 04, 02:04 PM
Scott W. Harvey

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/repair.html

-Scott

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:58:03 GMT, "Ashley Jones"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to find a repair shop/person that can
service my 1962 Grundig Rossini record player/radio stereo console. I think
the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs to be oiled,
nothing major.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement
for the dual 1010 (that will fit this console) if I decide to buy one off of
ebay, etc.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/

Old September 29th 04, 07:02 PM
KA6UUP

Ashley Jones wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows how to find a repair shop/person that can
service my 1962 Grundig Rossini record player/radio stereo console. I think
the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs to be oiled,
nothing major.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement
for the dual 1010 (that will fit this console) if I decide to buy one off of
ebay, etc.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

Aladdin Radio Repair in San Francisco. A real old radio repair shop.
A great place to visit
Chuck
Old September 29th 04, 10:36 PM
robert

"Ashley Jones" wrote in message . ..
I was wondering if anyone knows how to find a repair shop/person that can
service my 1962 Grundig Rossini record player/radio stereo console. I think
the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs to be oiled,
nothing major.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement
for the dual 1010 (that will fit this console) if I decide to buy one off of
ebay, etc.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

If you find a really good technician for your 42 year old set, don't
tell him "the pots need to be cleaned, and the turntable motor needs
to be oiled,
nothing major". If that is all that is needed you can go to Radio

Shack and buy contact cleaner and oil. The chances are your older set
needs a bit more than you realize. Maybe *just a small tube or a loose
wire*, how many times have I heard that in 50+ service years! Too old