Old October 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Jennie

Default Getting Started

What book best prepares you for the test and what test do I need to take to
get started in ham radio?

Thanks

Old October 10th 04, 03:51 PM
Buzzygirl

"Jennie" wrote in message
What book best prepares you for the test and what test do I need to take

get started in ham radio?

Where are you located? I'll assume you are in the U.S., and this answer
applies only there. I would recommend "Now You're Talking!", which is
published by the American Radio Relay League. You can purchase one at most
Barnes & Noble stores (at least in my area you can) or online from the ARRL
direct, http://tinyurl.com/57769 . This book has everything you need to
know to take the Element 2 (technician) exam. Make sure you get the 5th
edition, which contains the newest test question pool.

Jackie

Old October 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Jennie

I am above Atlanta, GA

"helmsman" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:51:12 GMT, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

"Jennie" wrote in message
What book best prepares you for the test and what test do I need to take

get started in ham radio?

Where are you located? I'll assume you are in the U.S., and this answer
applies only there. I would recommend "Now You're Talking!", which is
published by the American Radio Relay League. You can purchase one at most
Barnes & Noble stores (at least in my area you can) or online from the
ARRL
direct, http://tinyurl.com/57769 . This book has everything you need to
know to take the Element 2 (technician) exam. Make sure you get the 5th
edition, which contains the newest test question pool.

Jackie

Darn good book, I started as a novice and used the book for my tech test.
Use a search engine to find a Ham Radio Club in your area, a lot of them
have free
classes.

Old October 10th 04, 05:23 PM
Buzzygirl

"Jennie" wrote in message
I am above Atlanta, GA

Click on this link for a listing of ham radio clubs in Georgia.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/clu... elected+state

Jackie

Old October 11th 04, 04:02 AM
Chuck

I'll second that. Find a local club and more than likely someone will be
more than happy to help you out. You can do it by yourself but it will be
much, much easier if you have someone to help you along. Somebody may even
give you an old radio they have collecting dust to get you on the air. I've
seen it happen many times. There are probably some better groups on here for
what you are looking for also. Do a search in newsgroups for "amateur",
"radio", or "ham" and see what you come up with.

Old October 11th 04, 12:23 PM
JuLiE Dxer

Also of very big IMPORTANCE,

please learn and understand the material pertaining to your amateur
radio licensing exam.. don't just memorize the questions and answers
like so many of the newer generation of hams have done. So many of
them are annoying as hell and as dumb as a sack of rocks. The tougher
exams used to weed them out but now all sorts of the bottom of the
barrel has infested the ranks of amateur radio..

please, just learn and understand the material..

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:02:08 -0500, "Chuck" wrote:

I'll second that. Find a local club and more than likely someone will be
more than happy to help you out. You can do it by yourself but it will be
much, much easier if you have someone to help you along. Somebody may even
give you an old radio they have collecting dust to get you on the air. I've
seen it happen many times. There are probably some better groups on here for
what you are looking for also. Do a search in newsgroups for "amateur",
"radio", or "ham" and see what you come up with.

.. .